Sunny
Total Time = 2h 59m 43s
Overall Rank = 756/1500
Age Group = 40-45
Age Group Rank = 85/111
Pre-race routine:

Got up ate a banana and bagel.
Event warmup:

Short run on the beach followed by quick swim (no goggle problems which came up later).
Swim
  • 40m 57s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 30s / 100 yards
Comments:

Had no problems with goggles during warm-up, but my left started leaking bad after about 100m. Rolled over on my back and kicked while I tried to adjust. Couldn't get it right til about the 300m mark. I breathe and navigate from left, but spent too much time trying to fix goggles.
What would you do differently?:

Practice right side breathing and use it when I run in to trouble with my goggles.
Transition 1
  • 03m 27s
Comments:

This was the longest swim exit to transition area run I have ever seen. I think the shortest T1 I saw on the results was a 2:33. I practiced the run from swim exit to T the day before and it took 1:37 but no swim beforehand. The swim was on the north side but we had to run to the east then back to the T barricade, then south to the end of the transition area and enter from the south side. Overall, I was happy with what I did once I got in to the transition area. My rack was next to one of 3 trees in the T area, so it was easy to locate, put on helmet, shoes and grab Hammer Gel. Bike exit/entrance was on north side of transition area.

Run faster out of swim exit.
Bike
  • 1h 03m 29s
  • 21.23 miles
  • 20.07 mile/hr
Comments:

I drove the course the day before the race only to find that the first part of the race on Disney property had been changed. Also, the turn-around earlier than indicated on the course map. So, it was not a full 40K course which was disappointing.

Drink more on the bike course. The sun was out and it was warming up quickly which affected my run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

For the run I decided to put on socks because of blisters during training. Despite the time to do this, I was only 1 sec longer than my first tri T2 time in June, when I already had socks on and it was a smaller transition area.

Nothing, was very happy with T2 for the size of the transition area.
Run
  • 1h 10m 29s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

The first water station was a long way out. I wasn't prepared to race in for the heat and humidity. It was wierd because my legs felt great, but I would have a hard time catching my breath. I would walk until I could catch it, then run til I lost it. I started to overheat too and have a nice case of heat rash under my arms. I was really disappointed with not being able to run the whole course. I had a solid training plan and put some extra time on running. I had no problem with airborne school at Fort Benning in the middle of August so I'm not sure why I fell apart on the run. Probably, because I'm not as young. haha.

I never stopped moving forward, however, I wonder what if I had stopped and rested for 5 min, then started running again. Would I be able to run the whole thing?
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and stretched. Grabbed several bottles of water and gatorade.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Running in the heat and humidity.

Event comments:

I was happy for the sub-3 hour, as that was my goal. But, for this to be a Disney production, I was disappointed. The pre-race expo/packet pick-up was nothing to write home about. In my opinion, the Peachtree City Tri had a better expo.

The transportation was terrible! We had to park in one parking lot, then wait for a bus, which took only 4-8 bikes at a time, over to the transition area. Just dropping off my bike the day before was a 2 hour ordeal. Then after the race, the line for the buses extended almost all the way across the Epcot Imagine parking lot. The wait was almost 40min to catch a bus back to the transition area. After I picked up my bike, it was going to be another wait to catch a bus to the participant parking lot at the Magic Kingdom. I, like the majority, decided to ride my bike back to the parking lot.

The only time Disney got the transportation right was race morning. The medal was cool, but short bike course, lack of aid stations and frustrating transportation makes it hard to reccommend this race. Team in Training made the right decision by offering team members a discount rate at the Fort Wilderness Lodge. If anyone wants to do this flat course race, that is the place to stay and avoid the transportation hassles.

I met my goal for my first Oly, so I don't know why I'm complaining so much. Although, I think I should have done better on the run.

Last updated: 2006-07-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:57 | 1640 yards | 02m 30s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/111
Overall: 0/1500
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Counter-clockwise triangle
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:27
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:03:29 | 21.23 miles | 20.07 mile/hr
Wind: Little
Course: The bike course began with a narrow walking path about 400m out to the road. Then roads through Disney property until CR535 for the major portion of the course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Bad
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:24
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:10:29 | 06.21 miles | 11m 21s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: The run exit was on the east side of the transition area, on a path which connected with the bike course. So, you had runners out, bikers out, and bikers coming in, all on one side of the road. The congestion made it tricky for everyone wanting to pass.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-09-26 7:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Subject: Walt Disney World Triathlon

2006-09-27 11:04 AM
in reply to: #552547

User image

Expert
Jacksonville, FL
Subject: RE: Walt Disney World Triathlon
Great job on finishing your first Oly. I remembering passing you but didn't remember your name. The heat on the run was tough, even for us S. FLoridians. I couldn't get my hr down even at a slower pace.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Walt Disney World Triathlon Rss Feed