United States
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 38m 55s
Overall Rank = 60/130
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up @ 5:30 and in the car by 6am. Stopped for coffee and a bagel. Parked @ 6:20. Picked up race # and chip. Rode bike down to Transiton area and set up my area. Each spot was individuallt numbered, which should have helped from being overcrowded but the 2 people on either side of me set up their bikes on the wrong side of the rack. They were no where to be found so I moved my stuff to their side and that seems to solve the problem.

Took a hammer gel 20 minutes before the race start.
Event warmup:

Had been sipping gookinaid throughout morning up to race start. Went for a 1/2 mile jog and made 2 bathroom stops prior to race start.

A local police officer sang one of the best renditions of the star spangled banner that I have ever heard live.
Run
  • 13m 39s
  • 2 miles
  • 06m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

The gun sounded and the leaders broke out practically sprinting. I was probably in the top 20 for the 1st 1/2 mile but realized my pace was way to fast so I slowed down into a more comfortable pace.
What would you do differently?:

Run faster. I know I can average better than 6:50 per mile for a 5K so I really shold have been faster.
Transition 1
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

Great transition. 4th fastest in T1.

Should have run a mock transition. I came in from the run and realized the area where I had been walking through was closed and I had to run all the way around in a loop to make it to my bike. But this did mean that I had less of a run to the bike mount and also less coming back in to re-rack.
Bike
  • 58m 50s
  • 16 miles
  • 16.32 mile/hr
Comments:

Very disappointing. Getting passed by over 60 people in the same race as me as well as a bunch more doing the tri was very disappointing.

I checked my bike thoroughly before race start. At about mile 3, I felt that something wasn't right. My cadence was around 90 but my speed wasn't were it should have been. Around mile 6, a guy passed me and told me my front tire was low. I was thankful for the advice and about to stop and top it off when my back tire blew out.

GREAT. Just what I needed. I pulled off to the side and attempted to change it. I had never had a flat before, nevermind during a race. Thankfully, the guy @ the LBS had given me a demostration when I purchased the crank Bros. tool off him. I got it changed in a decent amount of time.

I was so thrilled about the quick change that I forgot about the front tire and used all the CO2 on the back one.

Now I had 10 miles to go on a tire that had a slight leak. My cyclocomputer decided to stop working @ mile 6.4 so I had no idea how fast, er slow I was going. So I just kept my cadence ~ 90 and plugged away. The tire was very depleted by the time I finished but I was just thankful that I finished.

Inspect bike more thoroughly, bring more than 1 CO2 cartridge.
Transition 2
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

10th fasted T-2. Hmm, if only I was as quick on the course as I seem to be in the transtion areas

Nothing, in and out very quick
Run
  • 24m 6s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

Had an ok run. I was so upset frm the bike portion. Went out nice and easy and it took about 1/2 mile to get my legs back, but once I did, I was passing people left and right, which did make me feel good.

At around mile 2, I approached a guy who appeared to be a spectator but he was jogging slowly. He said hello and we chatted very briefly but long enough for him to tell me he was there to encourage his 21 yo daughter who was doing her 1st race. I said I had just past her as I remembered seeing her "21" on her calf as I past her. He told me she was the one who had a "great ass" and that he was allowed to talk about his daugghter that way to me b/c he would never see me again. I laughed and was on my way.

My disappointment from the bike had an effect on my running. I spent too much energy and my HR was too high.

I just wanted to be finished and done w/ it. My 7:47 pace was much slower than I know I can run but somewhat respectable.

Post race
Warm down:

Decent post race food, they had a dj playing which was nice.

Other than the bike woes, it was a fun day.

As luck would have it, Megan finished 1st in her age group, received an award and was parked right next to me.

Naturally, I had to tell her about the conversation I had w/ her dad.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Recently diagnosed w/ a partially separated shoulder, which is why I did the duathlon instead of the triathlon.

Did not remember to take the pain meds before the race.

Event comments:

The director and volunteers did an awesome job.

Last updated: 2004-07-26 12:00 AM
Running
00:13:39 | 02 miles | 06m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 34/130
Performance: Below average
6:50 pace
Course: Out and back on trail w/ a water stop @ 0.5 , 1.0 and 1.5 marks. Lots of volunteers. The course was well marked. They even marked the rocks and stumps in the trail so noone would trip.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:11
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:58:50 | 16 miles | 16.32 mile/hr
Overall: 95/130
Performance: Bad
Hmm, let's see. My cyclocomputer stop working @ mile 6.4. Thankfully the cadence still worked.
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: The course was out on country roads that remained open to traffic. But there were plenty of police and volunteers on the course so it was very safe. They had also posted signs all over the place on trees alerting mototrists that a bike race was going on. Furthermore, there was mile markers and they even spray painted potholes so you could avoid them. The course had several small climbs, and it was very windy from mile 8 on. There was only 1 decent decline where I was able to top out @ ~35mph.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 87
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:11
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:06 | 03.1 miles | 07m 46s  min/mile
Overall: 53/130
Performance: Average
7:47 pace
Course: Trail run w/ a mean hill @ Mile 2. Water stops every 1/2 mile.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-07-26 10:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Philadelphia, PA
Subject: Sunset Sprint Duathlon

2004-07-26 12:24 PM
in reply to: #40375

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: RE: Sunset Sprint Duathlon

u finished...good job...bummer on the tire.  but now u have no worries about changing one.  sweet.

2004-07-27 2:04 PM
in reply to: #40375

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: Sunset Sprint Duathlon
You did awesome!  Bike stuff sucks!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sunset Sprint Duathlon Rss Feed