United States
Try Andy's Tri
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 07m 56s
Overall Rank = 215/535
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 33/50
Pre-race routine:

everything was ready from the night before so i just got up and had a bowl of honey nut cheerios.
Event warmup:

none
Swim
  • 08m 3s
  • 328 yards
  • 02m 27s / 100 yards
Comments:

this was wild, 122 men started in this wave. i don't know how people can ever know how they do in the water because i cannot tell at all when i am in it. best i know from my friends that were watching said i was in the front group for the first 120, they were like, "you were in it, you were close to the front". thats where i pretty much positioned myself prior to the start.

the water was really nasty. before getting in you could just see a soup of nasty shit floating on the top. i was already a bit skeptical about it because one of my friends who lives on the lake said that its known as duck-shit-pond. it was just the perfect depth to be a little too deep to stand comfortably but i was able to easily find 2 plastic bottles on the bottom by moving my feet around and i had a perfect perch. one guy i saw found a 8-10 inch feather that he promptly inserted inside his goggle strap. it was so funny, i saw him during the swim and the feather was still there.

we started and it was way worse than my only other open water swim but this time i was ready for it, or about as ready as you can be. i got the shit beat out of me. it was crazy. but i kept swimming. i was just trying to go but every stroke was hit, i don't think i ever took three consecutive strokes without some part of my body getting hit. difference this time, i just kept swimming. i think i forgot to breathe for the first 40 yards or so. maybe that was a good thing. the ass kicking combined with adrenalin tuckered me out but i was able to keep it together. i slowed a bit and calmed myself down, i was determined not to panic like i did in the first one and it worked pretty good, all of a sudden i was at the first turn which was almost half the length of the race. i was tired by now and going slow but my body was cooperating and that made me confident i was gonna finish, not strong but i was gonna get out of it alive and as it turned out, ahead of 46 of the 122. on the home stretch one guy even used my head as a stepping stone, his hand grabbed the top of my head and he actually did a stroke like my hand was the hardest water he had ever grabbed. i wasn't even mad. i was like, "this MF really just dunked my black ass completely to the bottom".
What would you do differently?:

not a damned thing. i'm gonna get better and stronger over the winter and next year swim fitness isn't gonna be an issue. i was plenty strong enough to handle the other people and the jostling, i need more endurance. this was actually fun compared to my first open-water swim. i heard some guys after the race saying how its not really smart to have such a short OW and i can see the logic, the whole damned thing was an all out race.
Transition 1
  • 01m 49s
Comments:

i actually thought i had a bad transition but ended up 19/50. every part of it could have been better but i was a bit tuckered out so i took my time to catch my breath and it worked out. i had my shoes clipped in already and that worked good too.

i'll be better in the swim so i will be able to move faster.
Bike
  • 26m 21s
  • 10 miles
  • 22.77 mile/hr
Comments:

i had FUN on this bike ride, definately my best ever. i like going fast and this course allowed it. i was behind alot of people from the swim and i caught a shit load of them but honestly i think i might have gone out a little too hard. my long time in T2 lets me know i should have saved a bit more. i always felt like i had more in the tank, i will need to learn to keep a little more in the tank.

more experience will give me a better feel on how hard i should go. this didn't feel too hard but judging the way i feel right now and how tired i was in T2 lets me know i burned up some energy today. not as bad as my very first race when i couldn't function until the next day but i am tired now.
Transition 2
  • 02m 28s
Comments:

you had to round a curve and the dismount was RIGHT THERE! had unstrapped one shoe based on my odometer and seeing more people standing around but this caught me off-guard. i had to quickly change plans and unclip.....i almost forgot and fell but i managed to save it.

take shoes off with a mile to go instead of staying in them until the last second.
Run
  • 29m 13s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

no comment on the run. i know its my limiter, i could have done so so much better but i suck. but i can't bitch, just look at my longs. what, did i run 7 miles in september?

I WILL WORK ON RUN ENDURANCE. I WILL WORK ON RUN ENDURANCE. I WILL WORK ON RUN ENDURANCE. I WILL WORK ON RUN ENDURANCE. I WILL WORK ON RUN ENDURANCE. I WILL WORK ON RUN ENDURANCE. I WILL WORK ON RUN ENDURANCE. I WILL WORK ON RUN ENDURANCE. I WILL WORK ON RUN ENDURANCE. I WILL WORK ON RUN ENDURANCE. I WILL WORK ON RUN ENDURANCE. I WILL WORK ON RUN ENDURANCE. I WILL WORK ON RUN ENDURANCE. I WILL WORK ON RUN ENDURANCE.
Post race
Warm down:

i love those cold towels.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

my running.

Event comments:

this is a very well run race.

Last updated: 2006-05-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:03 | 328 yards | 02m 27s / 100yards
Age Group: 32/50
Overall: 0/535
Performance: Average
Suit: De Soto tri shorts
Course: out, across, and back
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:49
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:26:21 | 10 miles | 22.77 mile/hr
Age Group: 14/50
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: the course was like running stadium stairs or spokes, you would go out and back, turn right and do it again at least a few times and then i don't really know. didn't pay much attention to that except that i had many chances to see who i had to go and get and then i could see them again on later spokes.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:28
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:29:13 | 03 miles | 09m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 42/50
Performance: Bad
Course: 3 miles
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-10-01 3:36 PM

User image

Houston, TX
Subject: Try Andy's Tri

2006-10-01 6:27 PM
in reply to: #556943

User image

Expert
McKinney, TX
Subject: RE: Try Andy's Tri

Tag, great race and funny-a$$ race report!  I had a friend do this race as his first.  Can't wait to make fun of him about Duck-$hit Pond! 

Edited by tri_it_cajun_style 2006-10-01 6:28 PM
2006-10-01 7:57 PM

User image

Queen BTich

Great job!! You killed the bike course! Your run will come around, just keep at it.

2006-10-01 10:25 PM

User image

Master
Katy, TX (West of Houston)

Very nice job my friend!!!!!

Great job on the bike!

2006-10-16 1:08 PM

User image

Pro
Evanston,

TAG!!! This is awesome!  Sorry I missed this RR when it first got posted... looking GOOD dude!

The RR is really funny too.  Way to stay strong on the swim.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Try Andy's Tri Rss Feed