United States
Play Tri
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 46m 50s
Overall Rank = 557/670
Age Group = M 20-24
Age Group Rank = 18/20
Pre-race routine:

We left Houston about 10 to make the pilgrimage to Richardson Bike Mart (the coolest place on the planet) for packet pick up and then on to McKinney to Derek and Laurie's casa. We watched football and then all went to ride the bike course (me, Kylie, Derek, Laurie, Aaron, Haley, Marcy, Steve). The group rode 1 lap (6 mi) and Aaron and I set off for a second lap at closer to race pace (for me at least, that boy is fast!). Then back to the casa de cajun for BT dinner. We picked up a few more for dinner, Jeanne and her boyfriend, John, and Guy and Becca- non-BT'ers. Laurie made the best lasagna that I believe I have EVER had. Sat around and talked, to bed about 10:30 to be up at 5! Thanks to Derek and Laurie for their hospitality and letting us stay with them and dinner and everything else, it really was great!
Event warmup:

Well since Derek and Laurie live about a mile from the race site, Haley and I rode to the race and Kylie drove with Aaron and Laurie and Derek drove also. They had the elite wave, then 3 or 4 waves of females, then a 20 minute gap, then finally the mens waves and I was in the first male wave. A lot of standing around waiting for the guys.
Swim
  • 25m 34s
  • 750 meters
  • 03m 25s / 100 meters
Comments:

SLOW, SLOW, SLOW! I could not find a rhythym at all! By the time we got in the water it was a little rough and I really had a hard time breathing and actually getting a good breath. As a result, I breaststroked and backstroked about 80% of the swim. I was not planning on this at all. I had been swimming great in the pool recently. I pretty much gave up trying to freestyle and just decided to get myself around the buoy's and back to the exit. Going off of Cinco Ranch Tri (500 meter OWS) I swam in a little under 14min, I should have been 20ish minutes. I was slow, it was still fun though! I also had to pee from the moment we jumped in the lake!
What would you do differently?:

I don't really know. Train OWS more for sure. I just could not find a good stroke and it showed big time. I guess it just happens. Hopefully it NEVER happens again! It probably will though.
Transition 1
  • 03m 8s
Comments:

Right out of the water we had to run up a hill and then back down a freaking mountain just to get to transition. My time took a little longer because I tried to dry my feet some and get some of the grass and mud off. Didn't work. It really was a pretty long run from swim exit to transition.

Just dry feet a little and keep on rolling. Transition was also a little confusing but that is just because Kylie and I decided to walk up the hill to the port of cans instead of listening to the RD explain how things work. Oops.
Bike
  • 41m 40s
  • 12 miles
  • 17.28 mile/hr
Comments:

Right out of transition you climb a hill, turn right, and climb another hill. This kinda stunk but not too bad. I was passing some people and having a good time. The other 3 sides to the square were great. Some uphills but some nice downhills too. Everyone did a good job staying to the right. Some people passing people who were passing other people but it wasnt too bad. The bad hill was a lot worse on the second lap. I got stuck behind a guy who was going slower than I wanted to go but it would have taken way too much energy to pass him so I had to sit back and wait to pass. This cost me some time. The down hills were great, think I hit 30 a time or 2. I could have and should have been faster. I am just not used to the hills! I still really had to pee and even contemplated stopping in T2 to go, but didn't.

Train more on hills. Spend more time in the saddle overall.
Transition 2
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

I completely forgot that transition was coming up. I only had time to get 1 foot out of my shoe. So I jumped off with one shoe still on the pedal and the other on my foot. Not the plan, cost some time, but was fine. I was happy with this transition. It felt fast.

Get both feet out before the dismount line!
Run
  • 34m 59s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

The hills killed me. I have been averaging 10 min/miles on 3-5 mile runs. To go over 11 mins/mile was kinda frusterating but it was alright. I also had to walk a few times because of a side stitch. I decided that I could probably walk the uphills as fast or faster than I could run them with less energy so that is what I did. I saw Laurie, Derek, John and David on the run and that was fun!

Train on some hills. The run really wasn't what I am used to here in Houston at all and it showed.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some water, found Kylie and the rest of the BT'ers and cheered finishers waiting on Derek to come in. We walked around and waited for the awards because Kylie thought she might have had the fastest female swim. She ended up being 2nd! I think she easily could have won it if she hadn't had the wave in front of her to fight through. The girl who won it only had the Elite wave in front of her and it was much smaller. After the awards, Kylie and Haley and I rode back to the house and packed up for the drive home. Stopped and had some Panda Express before leaving McKinney. We don't have a Panda near us so it was a grrreat treat.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Really just the hills and a craptastic swim. I had a great time though and we will be back for this race next season. Since I am just starting out, I really think that I have room to get a lot faster over time. I just need to get out there and train. Time to start getting ready for the Houston 1/2 and then probably the 1/2 IM at Lonestar.

Event comments:

It was a great race. A little challenging but a lot of fun. My only complaint would be the long run down the mountainous muddy hill from swim exit to T1. Also transition was really dark trying to set up in the morning. Was very well organized and we had a great time. We'll be back next year for it even though it is kina far from home.

Last updated: 2006-08-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:34 | 750 meters | 03m 25s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/20
Overall: 0/670
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course: Out, turn right, turn right again, strait into the SUN!
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:08
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:41:40 | 12 miles | 17.28 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: 2 loop, hill to start off then some ups and downs after that. Not too bad.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:28
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:34:59 | 03.11 miles | 11m 15s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back, hilly and challenging for sure.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-10-02 10:10 AM

User image

Expert
Houston, TX
Subject: Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon

2006-10-02 10:20 AM
in reply to: #557548

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon
Awesome job! It was great to meet you and Kylie at Laurie's house. She does make awesome lasagna!!
2006-10-02 10:35 AM

User image

Master
Keller Tx

Great RR.

Nice to meet you and Kylie Saturday night.  Sorry for the slow ride, but it was still fun!

2006-10-02 10:58 AM

User image

Expert
Houston, TX
I was just re-reading and I know that I left a couple folks out who were at the BT dinner and I met at the race. For that, I am sorry. I can't, for the life of me, remember who all was there!
2006-10-02 11:46 AM

User image

Expert
McKinney, TX
Awesome race, Kyle!  I think you did great!  I told Kylie how I thought you ,ust have been doing well, since you were smiling on the run.  Kylie said, "I don't know about that, he smiles all the time!" hehe  You are a great person and a lot of fun to hang out with.  It's a shame you guys live so far away!  We'll have to just come down there!  Congrats on the race!

Edited by tri_it_cajun_style 2006-10-02 11:47 AM
2006-10-02 12:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Dallas, TX
That transition was very, very kooky! I also could have paid a bit more attention at pre-race...

Otherwise you had great race!

2006-10-02 12:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Coppell
Great race! Sorry I couldn't hang out with ya'll the night before.
2006-10-02 12:41 PM

User image

Queen BTich

Great job Luke! I hope you get the swim figured out. I wonder where you can find a good swimmer near you to help you out....hummm....

It was nice meeting you!

2006-10-02 10:51 PM

User image

Master
Katy, TX (West of Houston)
What a great race, and you had good company too....
2006-10-03 7:56 AM

User image

Master
McKinney, TX
Great race. I'm with you, that run was a beast.
2006-10-03 12:43 PM

User image

, Texas

Great race!! I was a horrible OW swimmer and only got better with OW swims (I did about 6-8 this year). I think they need to get out the slip-n-slide for T1 goind down the hill.

I (tall baldie) was at the BT dinner with my wife and I was actually at the race, but I had my kids with me and didn't congregate with the BT crew much. I did see you finish and you looked strong.

2006-10-04 9:02 AM

User image

Houston, TX

Nice race, Luke! We will work on the OWS some in this off season! I am glad that you always find a way to make things fun !

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon Rss Feed