Wilmington YMCA
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 09m 15s
Overall Rank = 300/322
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 9/11
Pre-race routine:

Wake-up call came at OMG 4:30AM. Ate a bagel with peanut butter and had a Diet Coke as we headed for the race site. Got there around 5:45. Set up TA and got body marked. I had a great TA location. On the end of a row next to the main corridor through the TA. Got on a yellow school bus to get to the swim start. Sat behind the rear wheel and had flashbacks to elementary school as we went over the bumps.
Event warmup:

Warmed up by getting in the water. Air temp was in the 50's as were my feet after walking around in the grass and riding over bare footed. Water temp was a balmy (by comparison) 75 degrees. There was this funny little dog at the beach who kept swimming out to where the swimmers were starting and back to shore...then making a full blast loop around the beach before heading back out into the water. Upon reflection, I wonder if he was trying to heard all 1,200 of us. :-)
Swim
  • 35m 39s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 23s / 100 meters
Comments:

Normally this swim is done with an incomming tide...but not today. Low tide was at 7:08 so basically there was no current. Essentially I swam the swim I hoped to swim. I went out at a steady even pace and maintained it throughout. Was able to freestyle and breathe bi-laterally the entire course. There was a huge crane at the first turn that was an excellent sighting point. The building at the end point is the biggest thing there and provided an excellent target for sighting toward the end. Nearly ran into one guy when he zipped around me then started breast-stroking in front of me. Also nearly got kicked in the head by someone who swam diagonally across in front of me....not sure where he/she was headed. There was a little bumping at the swim exit since everyone was funneled toward ladders hung off the dock at the exit.
What would you do differently?:

Would love to have been faster...but that will come with time. Otherwise, I was pleased with the swim.
Transition 1
  • 03m 45s
Comments:

The TA was about 300 yards from the swim exit. The timing mats were at the swim exit. The surface between the swim exit and the TA was mostly asphalt so I left some flip-flops at the swim exit and stopped to slide my feet into them before making that trek. Otherwise, this was a pretty normal transition for me.

Remember to loosen the velcro on my shoes when I set up my TA.
Bike
  • 42m 25s
  • 12 miles
  • 16.97 mile/hr
Comments:

The course is a loop and is basically flat. I had a little trouble getting clipped in at the start. The lanes going out and back over the Wrightsville Beach bridge were narrow and caused everyone to get a little bunched up. The first little stretch along Airlie Road was teeth-jarringly rough. The seams in the road were brutal. I felt like I actually passed as many people as I was passed by...which was a nice feeling for me.

Should have drank more on the bike. I usually use bike time to refuel and rehydrate...but was having such a good ride, I didn't take in enough.
Transition 2
  • 02m 45s
Comments:

Took a little more time here since I was trying to get a little more fluid in me before the run. Otherwise normal stuff for me.

Drink better on the bike.
Run
  • 44m 43s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 14m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

Walked the first little bit to get my legs loosened up. Then did the walk/run thing the rest of the way.

Run faster....duh!
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed my Gatorade from the TA and was weebling out to go find my sister and 1 Foot when I hear, "Hey 890!" It was Chris Hughes and Spot so I stood around and talked with them for a while.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Probably weight as much as anything.

Event comments:

This is a great race venue. The weather was perfect!

Last updated: 2006-07-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:39 | 1500 meters | 02m 23s / 100meters
Age Group: 11/11
Overall: 304/322
Performance: Good
Suit: Danskin tri suit - no wetsuit
Course: Point-to-point swim in the channel starting at the Blockade Runner and making an "s" shaped out and over jog to the Seapath tower.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:45
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:42:25 | 12 miles | 16.97 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/11
Overall: 241/322
Wind: None
Course: Flat loop. There were seams across the road on Airlie that were a bit teeth-jarring. Saw lots of lost water bottles.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:45
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:44:43 | 03.11 miles | 14m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/11
Overall: 306/322
Course: Flat course around Wrightsville's "Famous" loop.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-10-02 11:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
Subject: Wilmington YMCA Triathlon

2006-10-02 11:24 AM
in reply to: #557628

User image

Veteran
Charlotte
Subject: RE: Wilmington YMCA Triathlon
Great race and rr. I had forgotten about the little dog -- he was having a great time! lol! I definitely agree that the crane was great for navigation. I hope it's still there next year.

It was great to meet you and I look forward to seeing you Saturday.
2006-10-02 11:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Gold member
Nice race, it's a tough swim with no current or wetsuit. Sorry I missed you guys, maybe see you all on Saturday.
2006-10-02 1:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio

There was a huge crane at the first turn that was an excellent sighting point.

When I first read this, I thought you were talking about the bird.  LOL!  NC must have jumbo cranes!   

Sounds like a fun race especially being able to meet other BT peoples!  You had a nice race!!!!!!!!!!!!

2006-10-02 3:11 PM
in reply to: #557905

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
drdi - 2006-10-02 2:29 PM

There was a huge crane at the first turn that was an excellent sighting point.
When I first read this, I thought you were talking about the bird.  LOL!  NC must have jumbo cranes!   

Yep...we grow 'em big here in th' south...that sweet tea and BBQ will do it ever' time!

Thanks for the laugh! I nearly had a beverage spitting incident when that giant crane image popped into my head!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wilmington YMCA Triathlon Rss Feed