General Discussion Race Reports! » Jamba Juice Triathlon on Mission Bay Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Jamba Juice Triathlon on Mission Bay - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
San Diego, California
United States
KOZ Enterprises
72F / 22C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 17m 40s
Overall Rank = 986/1485
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 37/80
Pre-race routine:

stayed at megs, only got about 4.5 hours of sleep, dropped my bike off the night before, got up, ate some nasty oatmeal, drove to the site (missed the time frame to park at the event), went to the transition area to setup. Setup and put the bottom of the wetsuit on. Drank some water and walked to the start. Cheered on Lisa and Katrina went to pee. Ate some gu at 7:00. Start at 7:15.
Event warmup:

We were allowed to go in the water ahead of time so I got used to the water temp and swam back and forth a bit in the wetsuit. I learned that the crawl is the only stroke that you move forward in while wearing a wetsuit.
Swim
  • 10m 35s
  • 547 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

The start was good. We had plenty of room and I positioned myself in the front farthest from shore (closest to bouys). I felt I started pretty fast and got concerned so I tried to slow my pace down. But the swim went buy so fast that I could have kept a faster pace the entire time. I did good spotting. Only bumped into 1 lady but she was going diagonal towards shore so I let her cut across me and go that direction. Salt water was a new taste - ick! Wetsuit was choking me - ugh!
What would you do differently?:

Potentially don't wear a wetsuit. The water was chilly at first but it wouldn't kill you to wear a bathing suit only. Future rental wetsuits from xterra need to be the higher end style. I got the lower end and it choked the shit out of me!!! Very uncomfortable.

More training. Learn to sprint in the beginning and settle into a fast pace. Learn to deal with salt water and open water better.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

This gets better with each event. Have only the stuff out that is necessary. That way I wont get distracted with things I don't need.

forget the wetsuit
Bike
  • 35m 58s
  • 8.1 miles
  • 13.51 mile/hr
Comments:

beautiful ride. not too crowded. people were friendly when passing and going through tight turns.

i could have pushed it a bit more.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 31m 7s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

my left hip and calf were really bothering me. once i got running i could ignore the pain but i knew it was going to come back. i only drank once which was perfect.

a lot more training!!! stick with physical therepy exercises for my ankle, knee and hip.
Post race
Warm down:

water, orange, walking, back to transition, back to festival area. hung out with tim, meg, lisa, katrina and allen for a bit. drank a jamba juice. checked my time. packed up went to breakfast and drank a ton of beer.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

i don't push myself that hard. i like a good comfortable pace. the goal would be: to be *so good* that really fast is comfortable.

Event comments:

This was an excellent race. I will definately come back and do it again next year!

Last updated: 2006-07-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:35 | 547 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 18/80
Overall: 514/1485
Performance: Good
Suit: xterra wetsuit
Course: Start in deep water. Swim counterclockwise. Stay to the shore side (bouys on right) of the first bouys (strange). Then you must round the last bouy (bouy on left) before heading to shore.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:35:58 | 08.1 miles | 13.51 mile/hr
Age Group: 33/80
Overall: 958/1485
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: around mission bay and fiesta island. i hear the course was shortened by 1 mile because of crappy road conditions. only 2 hilly over passes. tons of tight turns through cones in the sea world parking lot.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:31:07 | 03.11 miles | 10m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 58/80
Overall: 1213/1485
Performance: Average
Course: mostly flat with 2 overpass hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-10-04 12:45 PM

User image

Regular
Solana Beach, CA
Subject: Jamba Juice Triathlon on Mission Bay

2006-10-04 12:52 PM
in reply to: #560379

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Jamba Juice Triathlon on Mission Bay
Nice job on the race. I know what you mean about the wetsuits, I still have a rash/scab on the back of my neck from it being rubbed raw.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jamba Juice Triathlon on Mission Bay Rss Feed