General Discussion Race Reports! » 11th Annual Alcatraz Invitational Swim SERC Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

11th Annual Alcatraz Invitational Swim SERC - SwimOther

View Member's Race Log
San Francisco, California
United States
South End Rowing Club
54F / 12C
Overcast
Total Time = 35m 53s
Overall Rank = 16/171
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Arrived in the dark at 5:20 to sign in and get the race packet. Ate a banana and drank a gatorade. Sat around and chatted with the other swimmers until 6:30. At 6:30 The RD gave us a race breifing and than we all marched off following a bagpiper to boat that was about 7 blocks away. All 500-600 swimmers boarded the boat and we were off to the east side of Alcatraz.
Event warmup:

No warm-up
Swim
  • 35m 53s
  • 2020 meters
  • 01m 47s / 100 meters
Comments:

Everybody was to enter the water for a deep water start. A blast of the horn was to then signal the start of the race and start the clock. Then we were to follow the yellow Zodiac lead boat. This did not happen as was planned. As soon as the first swimmers were in the water the horn blew and the swimmers started heading for the yellow lead boat. At that point the RD had to start the clock. I think it took me about 2-3 minutes to get off the boat after the first guys started jumping off. My actual time for the race is somewhat less than what is posted in the official results. I stopped twice to turn around and look back at Alcatraz. Very cool.

We were told in the race breifing to sight and swim to the left of the breakwater that protedcted the enterance into the Aquatic Park. If we stayed on this course the current would sweep us into the general area of the entrance and we could just swim in. I tried to sight of the yellow lead boat but had a hard time seeing it due to the small swells. I sighted off the two ships that we were told to, and I was also fortunate that there was a guy in a kayak that I was keeping pace with off my right side. As I approched the pier/break-water/jetty, I thought that I was a few hundred yards to the left of the entrance. As I looked to find the bouy that marked the entrance into the Aquatic park I suprised to find it right in front of me. The current had sweep me right in line with the opening and I just had to swim straight in. I could not have planned it better. Chaulk it up to beginners luck.
What would you do differently?:

Find a wetsuit that fit better and use more body glide, lots and lots of body glide. One week later and I am still suffering from the worst rash on my neck I have ever seen.

Post race
Warm down:

Ran through the chute, somebody took off my timing chip, another person un-zipped my wetsuit and pulled it down over my shoulders. It would have come right off but I taped my wrists to limit the amount of water that rushed up the sleeves on each stroke. They placed a finishers metal around my neck and I had a picture taken with Allison streeter, Queen of the english Channel.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Could of had a better fitting wetsuit. but since it was my first time swimming with a wetsuit I am not too sure if mattered.

Event comments:

(EDIT Had the RD fix the age thing and now I finished offically 3rd in my AG.)I think I finished 3rd or 4th in my age group. The printed result had me down as 2nd in my agroup but my age was posted as being 6. When I went in sided to see if they could correct it I found out that some other guy also was placed in another AG and his time was 7 seconds faster than me. That put me in 4th place. I finished 3rd (4th )in the 40-44 AG and 16 in the mens wetsuit division. 70th place overall out of 516 swimmers. I felt the race was well orginized and well run. A good group of people at SERC. Other than that I had a great time and would recommend the race to anyone who was looking for a fun swim in San Fran

Last updated: 2006-10-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:53 | 2020 meters | 01m 47s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/
Overall: 16/171
Performance: Good
Suit: Ironman full wet size XL
Course: Off the ferry 1.25 miles (2020m) into the Aquatic park. Current that pushed you left at the start then a current that pushed you to the right as you approched the Aquatic park.
Start type: Dive Plus:
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-10-06 8:38 AM

User image

Expert
Montreal
Subject: 11th Annual Alcatraz Invitational Swim SERC

2006-10-06 8:44 AM
in reply to: #562511

User image

Buttercup
Subject: RE: 11th Annual Alcatraz Invitational Swim SERC
Excellent swim AND placement!!! Congrats!!!
2006-10-06 9:20 AM

Pro
...and the wake you generated from your incredible speed is still visible 6 days later!
2006-10-06 12:58 PM

User image

Awesome swim and congrats on the placement too!
2006-10-06 2:32 PM

User image

Expert
Central New York
Body glide and other lubes only get you so far. I'd look into wet suits which feature a low neckline. The two piece design from De Soto has worked exceptionally well for me, but there is at least one single piece suit maker (see gear review in the articles section) which has dispensed with the high collar that chafes so many swimmers.

BTW, that same ironman wetsuit ripped my neck to shreds in the water off Santa Cruz pier last year. Never again. I'm so damned happy with my De Soto.

Edited by Xan 2006-10-06 2:33 PM
2006-10-11 12:08 PM
in reply to: #562994

User image

Expert
Montreal

Xan - 2006-10-06 3:32 PM Body glide and other lubes only get you so far. I'd look into wet suits which feature a low neckline. The two piece design from De Soto has worked exceptionally well for me, but there is at least one single piece suit maker (see gear review in the articles section) which has dispensed with the high collar that chafes so many swimmers. BTW, that same ironman wetsuit ripped my neck to shreds in the water off Santa Cruz pier last year. Never again. I'm so damned happy with my De Soto.

I will look into buying a wetsuit if I plan anymore cold water swims.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 11th Annual Alcatraz Invitational Swim SERC Rss Feed