Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Off-season Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2006-10-06 11:25 AM

Master
Subject: Off-season

That time of year again. Multisport season if pretty much finished here, eh? My question is this: What are you you doing to gear up for next year?

For me, running will be a priority, so I'll be running lots this winter. In addition, there is Cross-Country season, swim season if alpine skiing falls through, and Rugby season to get my in shape (if not injured) for the new year.

What are your plans?

2006-10-06 12:34 PM
in reply to: #562772

User image

Extreme Veteran
Orangeville, Ontario
Subject: RE: Off-season
I getting ready for the Niagara marathon and after that it will be lots of base work with some short interval work during the week in hopes of keeping gained speed.

I need all the speed I can get to keep up with you!!!!

Speek to you soon,

Geoff
2006-10-06 12:38 PM

User image

Expert
Guelph, Ontario
I have joined the UWO Triathlon Club.  They hold 3 bike/spin, 3 swim, and 3 run workouts a week.  Plus they have weight training guidelines, dryland training and the occasional "social" which is usually some form of exercise.  The next one is indoor climbing.  There is no way that I'll make it to all of these training sessions, but I am going to try to get out as often as possible.  Plus I am going to continue to ride horses a couple times a week.  I'd like to increase my run distances and improve my form on the bike so that I can improve on my times this comming summer.
2006-10-06 1:32 PM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario

I am presently doing a lot of speed work in my runs and will keep running throughout the winter. 

I plan on hiring a coach to help me with my swim technique over the winter. 

And I plan on doing some x-country skiing.  I am hoping to participate in a 50km loppett in the Gatineau Hills in early February.

Although I would very much like to participate in spinning classes, I just find that they are much too expensive.

2006-10-08 4:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Guelph

Hey Elly my daughter joined the UWO tri club as well you might run into her there her name is Kim Sweeny.

I plan on biking to work until it gets to snowy (end nov early dec)  running 2x a week strength work 2 x a week  and swimming a couple times a week. Lots of training time spent on technique and building endurance base(LSD). I am working on changing my running style after reading more about what makes a good runner. My swimming needs drill time to further improve technique.  Everything aimed at improving on my current base but not pushing for speed per se, the speed should increase as a result of better technique and continued base training, save the speed training for closer to race season (at least thats what all the training plans /coaches suggest) Admitedly its harder to train without an immediate goal of a race in 8 weeks etc. But between injuries / and car shopping / year end at work I am still getting some regular workouts in.

2006-10-09 8:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Guelph

My off season is just coming to a close. I've taken the past two months off pretty much. I'm starting my Marathon training program now. I also want to focus on some strength training over the next few weeks. I found I lost 5 lbs during my off season and it's time to ramp back up again.

In regards to off seasons here's my thought...

(Picture 069_edited-3small.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Picture 069_edited-3small.jpg (94KB - 44 downloads)

2006-10-10 9:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ottawa, Ontario
I'm focussing on running through November, with a 5 km race in early Nov. In January I am going to take some swimming lessons and focus on that.

Of course, ski season is about to start, so there really is no "off" season. I'll be out on my skis (skate, classic, and telemark) two to three times per week.

D
2006-10-16 6:31 PM
in reply to: #562935

Ottawa
Michel...
Try out this triathlon club... Oh so reasonable prices. And Awesome coach Geordie.
www.ottawatriathlonclub.com
check out their site.
As well, you can reach Geordie himself to ask any questions at:[email protected]
Wonderful and Fun club, here in Ottawa.
A lot of classes, and his prices are very, very reasonable... He has all level of athletes join, from beginners ( uhmmm me) to elite triathletes.
Good luck... And let me know what you think.
2006-10-16 6:31 PM
in reply to: #562935

Ottawa
Michel...
Try out this triathlon club... Oh so reasonable prices. And Awesome coach Geordie.
www.ottawatriathlonclub.com
check out their site.
As well, you can reach Geordie himself to ask any questions at:[email protected]
Wonderful and Fun club, here in Ottawa.
A lot of classes, and his prices are very, very reasonable... He has all level of athletes join, from beginners ( uhmmm me) to elite triathletes.
Good luck... And let me know what you think.
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Off-season Rss Feed