General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Plantar Wart??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-10-06 3:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sioux Falls, SD
Subject: Plantar Wart???

Well I think I have one.... right on the bottom of my foot... I went into the doctor and had them take a look at it, because it isn't very noticeable by sight but when I don't have shoes on or if I am running I can feel it. It is like a rock..

Anyway the doctor said Surgery to get it out??? or  Duct tape for at least 6 months???

I asked why he couldn't freeze it off, he said he doesn't do that... it will cause more problems

Anyone have problems or ever had one?? What did you do to get it off....

I don't want to take time off, because I did just sign up for a race (YES)... and would like to start really training again at the end of the month...

This is the first time I have had something like this...

IDEAS...

GJ

2006-10-06 5:43 PM
in reply to: #563048

User image

Expert
Springfield, MO
Subject: RE: Plantar Wart???

I had two frozen off earlier in the year.  It was no big deal at all.  I can't remember for sure, but I think I went right back to running... maybe in a couple of days.

Good luck

2006-10-06 6:18 PM

User image

Gilbert, AZ
I've burned off warts before with some liquid N2 or electrocautery, but the risk for scar tissue is greater - and that can lead to increased discomfort, so for plantar warts, I usually recommend seeing a podiatrist.

My wife had a couple burned off - but the podiatrist numbed it up beforehand, shaved it down to remove callous formation, then used the N2. The other option he gave us at the time was to use an injection with a chemical occassionally used in chemotherapy - but that wasn't a good option at the time as she just had a baby.

From what he told us, the warts are viruses and the treatment was to cause irritation that would trigger the bodies immune system to attack the virus and destroy it. In any event, it worked, but took about 4-6 weeks to really get rid of them (they were pretty deep ones).

Good luck! These nasty little things can sure cause a lot of discomfort. I've also heard that duct tape and garlic works well, maybe old wives tale? Never tried it. Couldn't make things smell any worse could it?
2006-10-06 7:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio

I've had several over the years and have gotten rid of all them on my own with over-the-counter products.  17% salicylic acid (generic because I am cheap!) for a bunch of mosaic warts on my toes applied daily for about 6-8 weeks.  About every 5th day or so I would scrape off all the dead skin that builds up on the surface.  For solitary warts on the bottom of my foot, I've used the same 17% salicylic acid, but I've also used the pads (which I think might be 40%?).  The pads are put on every other day and left in place for two days.  A little more expensive than the liquid, but more convenient.  Again, scraping the dead skin off every 4-5 days.  Still takes many weeks to remove a wart. 

Actually my doctor gave me little hope of curing the mosaic warts on my toes, but I was persistant and they haven't come back in 5 years.

More info here: http://healthlink.mcw.edu/article/1005754045.html

2006-10-06 9:53 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

I've had many plantar warts frozen off the bottom of my foot.  Recently, I've had pretty good luck with the over the counter freezing kits.  I run on it once it's done, but I don't generally find the pain to be that bad. 

If you only have one, I'd probably go with the freezing kit over the salicylic acid.  The acid talks a long time, but it's better for many warts.  Also, make sure you are spraying your shower down with shower cleaner after every shower.  Prevents you from spreading it to anyone else (or even yourself). 

2006-10-06 11:11 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
THe duct tape has been studied and published in a peer reviewed journal (forget which one). You cut a square of duct tape, put it on for 6 days, leave it off the 7th and repeat. It causes an irritation which is thought to stimulate the bodies immune response.

Plantar warts are difficult because they are frequently covered with callous. Surgery will get it out in one swoop, you'll be sore for a few days depending on how deep it is. It really shouldn't be that much worse than freezing. Freezing kills the tissue, which then blisters up and falls off. The body has to heal it either way.

After having a wart cut out when I was about 12, a few more cropped up in high school. I was able to dig them out myself with a pin b/c I knew what I was looking for. They have a little blackish base, almost like a buried black head. That's the part you have to get out. This method is not recommended by the way, I'm just saying that i did it on my own.

Use an emory board to grind down the calloused skin, then try the duct tape trick or the salacylic acid.

Or whatever. You are not alone!

2006-10-07 9:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sioux Falls, SD

Thanks for the great ideas!!!

I am going to give them a try.... I called the doctor and said that I was going to wait...(I saw the price of surgery and decided to try over the counter and duct tape first!!!)

Anyway THANKS

GJ

2006-10-07 9:51 PM

Regular
NW Indiana
I used to get plantars warts all the time when I was a swimmer in high school from being on the pool deck. I used the pads and put an extra bandaid around them to make sure they didn't slip. If you use the OTC methods, just make sure you are very patient. You have to make sure the skin surrounding them is completely dead before you try to pull out the root, or else it starts bleeding and you don't get all of the wart and it comes back.
2006-10-09 10:10 AM

User image

Elite
Armpit of Ontario

I've also treated many, many of my own with good success, using OTC salacylic acid and bandaids, and I've had just as good results with a tiny dab of vaseline and duct tape. I had one frozen off with liquid nitrogen and found it was a quick-fix, but much more uncomfortable.

I haven't tried it yey, but I will be seeing my chiropractor when my next one crops up - he and some of my peers state that ultrasound applied to the wart shortens the span of the  virus that causes them (HPV).

2006-10-09 11:25 AM

User image

Expert
Avon, CT
I'm getting a bunch lasered off on Thursday. I've been frozen at the doc's twice, used an otc freeze kit at least 4 times, salicyclic acid almost daily since May, duct tape, sanding, digging, the works. These bstrds won't go away!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Plantar Wart??? Rss Feed