Canada
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 31m 29s
Overall Rank = 128/176
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got there early enough to stretch, and take in some gatorade. Wind had cancelled the swim (10 ft. swells in lake huron) so some minor adjustments to transition bag, and race strategy necessary.
Event warmup:

Ran some pickups
Swim
  • 11m 33s
  • 2800 meters
  • 25s / 100 meters
Comments:

swim had been cancelled due to high winds, so race turned into a du, with a 3k first leg...virtually a sprint, finished 81st in this leg.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

quick transition, couldn't have been more than about 1.5 mins. Shoes off, helmet on, grab a gel, take bike from rack and go
Bike
  • 1h 26m 12s
  • 40 kms
  • 27.84 km/hr
Comments:

After turn, wind a little behind us (more across, but a little help), and I kept losing the gear I needed, so probably lost a little time on the way back...trying not to burn myself out, so I wouldn't bonk on run...maybe a little conservative
What would you do differently?:

Go for it a little more...still some in tank...time for a new bike...this race convinced me...now I just have to convince my wife...
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Quick...rack bike, ditch helmet, change sunglasses, go...grabbed gatorade off of bike, to finish in early run, and took off...can't tell exactly how long transitions were, as they both seem to be incorporated into bike time...
Run
  • 53m 41s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 22s  min/km
Comments:

Picked up a run buddy, and paced well throughout the 10k...would have been more than happy with a 53 minute 10k at the outset, so I guess I can't complain...passed a few people back, that I had lost during bike...strong run
What would you do differently?:

nothing...real happy with both run times
Post race
Warm down:

stretch...eat...stretch

What limited your ability to perform faster:

shin splints still aching...no sharp pain, but can feel it on every stride...bike is killing me... time for a new one

Event comments:

Well done for a small race...populated with very good athletes...wonder if that is the price for moving to olympic distance...very serious competition...guy that I ran with, I had been with for the whole bike as well...first time I have actually had someone on my pace, what a difference not doing it alone...was looking forward to the 1500m swim, as a trial for the 1/2 IM in august, but, back to the pool, I guess

Last updated: 2004-07-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:33 | 2800 meters | 25s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/176
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:26:12 | 40 kms | 27.84 km/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong
Course: Course was so windy that we couldn't swim, so bike was no fun either...sunny but windy...roads open to traffic, but lightly travelled, and police at intersections, so no issues there
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:53:41 | 10 kms | 05m 22s  min/km
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back, some paved trail, some road
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-07-28 8:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
windsor, ontario
Subject: Bluewater Triathlon

2004-07-28 1:37 PM
in reply to: #41080

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: Bluewater Triathlon
It is great to run with someone else - time passes faster!  Bummer that the swim was cancelled.  You did great!
2004-07-28 3:48 PM

User image

Expert
Adrian, MI
Real bummer about the swim...I'd been heartbroken.

You posted some solid times, especially your closing run. You may have not gotten a true barometer of fitness level heading into the Legislator because of the swim, but you did gain invaluable race experience.

Also, in my opinion, if you feel good about the bike you'll do fine in Lansing because you're already marathoner (I also saw you did a race in Hell - no small feat), and the swim comes first.

I agree with you about the level of competition as one goes up in tri distances. I've found oly's to be MUCH more competitive than sprints. There are a lot less week-end warriors on the oly circuit.
2004-07-29 7:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
windsor, ontario
Thanks fromer...and good luck in Benton harbour...let me know everything you learn, and I will use it in lansing!

d
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bluewater Triathlon Rss Feed