3 Disciplines
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 32m 6s
Overall Rank = 15/86
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 2/10
Pre-race routine:

Got to the race super early (as usual). Pumped up the tires took the bike for a little test ride and then reserved a spot in transition. It was really cold, so I sat in the truck for awhile trying to stay warm. About forty minutes before the start, I actually setup my transition area and began warming up.
Event warmup:

About a mile of easy running followed by some light stretching.
Run
  • 23m 54s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

A solid run for me. I felt like I was standing still as I was getting passed left and right. Knew that the bike was going to be tough so I did not want to push any harder.

Had two goals on this run. 1) to break 24 minutes. 2) keep the leaders of my age group in sight--didn't think I could run with them but had a hunch that I might be able to take them on the bike. Accomplished both goals. When I entered transition, I could see both age group leaders just begining the bike.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, accomplished all my goals on this run.
Transition 1
  • 00m 41s
Comments:

Ran into transition and there was a guy standing with his bike right in front of mine (he was part of a relay and was waiting for his runner to come in). As I started to turn into the rack he still wasn't moving so I yelled "move, move, move" as I came in he finally got out of the way. Running shoes came off and biking shoes on without any problems.

Be a little more polite to the guy in front of my bike. There was no reason for me to yell, guess the mojo was flowing. Tried to find him after the race to apologize but didn't see him. I felt really bad, the guy might have been a beginner/first-timer and I did not represent myself or the sport well.
Bike
  • 40m 57s
  • 12.3 miles
  • 18.02 mile/hr
Comments:

The first climb was right out of transition. Put it into a low gear (still had a few to bail out on) and just started spinning for all I was worth. Passed a few people right away. First downhill scared me to death. I've never been over 40mph on my bike, I tapped the brakes a few times because I started to feel out of control. Second climb was more of the same, spin on the way up and be scared on the way down.

Middle third of the course was just rollers. Dropped into the big ring and hammered as hard as I could. Passed the guy that was in second in my age group at about mile six. Kept pushing as I knew he was a better runner than me.

Last third of the course was more big hills. Legs were starting to feel it by this time and had to come out of the saddle to make it up one of the hills. Was very happy that my bike has a tripple chain ring in the front.

Nothing on race day. I was very happy with this ride. Need to ride more hills so I am a stronger and have more confidence on the decents. Having to use the brakes on the downhills, killed my momentum on the next uphill. I am going to be spending a lot of quality time at this metro park next year.
Transition 2
  • 00m 50s
Comments:

Ran into transition only to find a little boy laying down taking a nap in front of my rack (there were a lot 11-15 olds doing relays but he was far younger than this). I didn't want to run him over as I so I tried to change direction, this did not go well and ended up falling into the rack. Not sure how I did not take the entire thing down.

Recovered as best as I could. Got my bike racked, picked up the bike I knocked down in my fall (thank goodness there was only one other bike on the rack) and proceeded to transition.

Not really sure, there was know way I could have been prepared for someone napping in front of my stuff. Kenny (race director) REALLY needs to find a way to keep non athletes out of the transition area.
Run
  • 25m 46s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

Exited transition and was pretty confident that I was in second place for my age group. Didn't think I had enough in the tank to catch anybody so the the new goal was to just defend my position.

Did the first mile in about 8 minutes and felt great. Slurped down a gel right before the aid station and grabbed some water. Felt strong in the next mile, but was shocked to find out that it took just over 9 minutes. Grabbed some gatorade at the next aide station and tried to pick up the pace.

With about a half mile to go, I could feel someone coming up on me. Didn't look back, instead just reached down and gave it everything I had (even picked up the pace on one of the uphills). Ended with a nice kick in the finish shoot.

Need to figure out how to not slow down in the middle of a race--it seems to happen a lot; I feel like I am running strong but times don't show it.
Post race
Warm down:

Felt great after finishing. Grabbed some food and water while walking around. Packed my stuff up and then cheered on the other competitors.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing, this was a great race for me and an awesome way to end the season. Last year, this was the first multisport race that I had ever done. They moved it to a new venue and the bike course was much harder. I still managed to knock 12 mintues of my time and go from last in my age group to 2cd in my age group.

Event comments:

With the exception of non athletes being in the transition area this was an awesome race. Plenty of volunteers, great course, and a good raffle at the end. Kennsington is a beautiful metro park. I'm really happy that this race is being permanently moved here.

Last updated: 2006-10-05 12:00 AM
Running
00:23:54 | 03.11 miles | 07m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/10
Overall: 24/86
Performance: Good
Course: Loop through Kensington metro park. Mostly grass and blacktop with a small trail portion around mile 2. Flat with two minor hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:41
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:40:57 | 12.3 miles | 18.02 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/10
Overall: 14/86
Wind: None
Course: One loop around Kensington metro park. For Michigan, a VERY hilly course. Except for a turnaround in a parking lot the roads were silky smooth. Offical distance was 11.9 miles, but everyone I talked to said it was longer than that.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:50
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:25:46 | 03.11 miles | 08m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/10
Overall: 19/86
Course: Same course as first run.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-10-10 1:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Ida, Michigan
Subject: Spooky Sprint

2006-10-12 9:37 AM
in reply to: #565749

User image

Expert
Earth
Subject: RE: Spooky Sprint

Congrats on a great race.  Hills are always tough, and not training for them, but having to race them makes it that much harder.

Good job digging deeper when you needed it.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Spooky Sprint Rss Feed