Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-10-13 7:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Norman, Oklahoma
Subject: Aerobic Point Sytem

I was reading the following:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/coachcorn/season.html

Does anybody use this?  It looked like a valid way to keep track of all your activities.  I think I would use it in conjuction with  the minutes method in the BT plans as an additional reference.  I'm interested to see what the rest of you think about this.

2006-10-13 8:54 AM
in reply to: #568271

User image

Runner
Subject: RE: Aerobic Point Sytem
Wow. Heck of an article. The point system IS an interesting idea in terms of having a metric to gauge your weeks by. Might be something to look into, at least.
2006-10-13 9:06 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

It's a pretty good basic system. 

If you train with power on the bike, Cycling Peaks uses TSS (Training Stress Score) which is essentially a system that counts "points" for your volume & intensity mix.  There are similar systems used for running, though they are less precise given measurement difficulties (Daniels suggests one in his book and you can google TRIMPs for another idea).  And there's been talk on ST and elsewhere about how to do a system for swimming as well, though this is likely even more arbitrary than running. 

But anything that helps you track your overall training "load" may be useful in mapping out your schedule--especially if you don't use a coach to help with it.  I'm starting to use TSS more and will probably look at tracking something for my running as well. 

2006-10-13 9:44 AM
in reply to: #568363

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
JohnnyKay - 2006-10-13 9:06 AM

It's a pretty good basic system. 

If you train with power on the bike, Cycling Peaks uses TSS (Training Stress Score) which is essentially a system that counts "points" for your volume & intensity mix.  There are similar systems used for running, though they are less precise given measurement difficulties (Daniels suggests one in his book and you can google TRIMPs for another idea).  And there's been talk on ST and elsewhere about how to do a system for swimming as well, though this is likely even more arbitrary than running. 

But anything that helps you track your overall training "load" may be useful in mapping out your schedule--especially if you don't use a coach to help with it.  I'm starting to use TSS more and will probably look at tracking something for my running as well. 

I've been using TTS as well and used *sometimes* Daniels scoring system, but at the end, the time spent training and how my body feels is been the best system This winter I am planning to do some serious running and swimming and add quality sessions on the trainer; hence I might need to pay a closer attention to TSS and how that relates to my running volume

2006-10-13 10:22 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
When I was in college (and for a few years after) I used a system based on calories burned. It gave me a constant measure to compare weeks, even if the discipline mix of the three activities was vastly different. It's something I miss, but lately I've just been going by time, and it seems to work okay.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aerobic Point Sytem Rss Feed