United States
60sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 02m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

My girlfriend and I woke up, ate some breakfast, and headed out to the ride. Since it wasn't a triathlon there wasn't really any setup to deal with, just picking up the packet and getting ready to ride.
Bike
  • 4h 02m
  • 61.8 miles
  • 15.32 mile/hr
Comments:

I definitely paid for my lack of stretching before the race. My IT bands were giving me issues early in the ride and I started cramping up pretty badly about 4 miles before the end of the ride. Both my inner left & right quads and left hamstring were all cramping at the same time to the point I had to stop on the side of the road. A SAG wagon came up and asked me if I wanted a lift, but there was no way in Hell I was quitting after 58 miles on a 62 mile ride. I told them thanks but no thanks and tried to get my legs back in proper working order before finishing out the ride. I think I didn't drink enough fluids on account of it being cold for the first couple hours of the ride. I didn't heat up much so I didn't feel thirsty and drink a lot. When the sun came out and it warmed up, I paid for it.
What would you do differently?:

Stretch, stretch, & stretch. Also, I need to be more consistent in my fluid intake.
Post race
Warm down:

They had pizza at the end, which I inhaled. I was afraid to stretch too much because I didn't want to aggravate the cramping(mentioned earlier). Basically I ate pizza and drank Powerade.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Poor pre-ride stretching, not intaking enough fluids.

Event comments:

The course was well-designed and marked very well(they had color-coded six-shooters painted on the road showing each route which way to go). The support at the rest stops was good, every one my gf and I stopped at had pickles, oranges, bananas, and various Clif bars or Gu as well as water & Powerade. This was the 19th year of the bike ride and it shows. The only thing I'd suggest is perhaps more medical staff & SAG wagons. It's possible they had more than I saw since there were several routes and they could have been dealing with issues on the other routes, but on the 100k route I didn't see that many medical staff and only 1 SAG wagon(which I saw after the routes recombined).

Last updated: 2006-10-11 12:00 AM
Biking
04:02:00 | 61.8 miles | 15.32 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: The course was a good mix of flats and rolling hills. None of the hills broke me, but there were a few challenging ascents(most notably a couple from the Poppy Ride I did in the same area a few months back). The wind wasn't too strong for most of the race, I'd say gusts up to 17-20mph but generally they were <10mph. There were only a couple stretches where the wind was really beating you down. The pavement was good on the vast majority of the ride. We hit a bunch of chip seal, but it was older chip seal that had been worn down so it wasn't too bad. Other than a couple low water bridges that were either mid-repair or sorely in need of repair, I didn't really have any complaints.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-10-23 7:53 AM

User image

Pro
Texas
Subject: Outlaw Trail 100

2006-10-23 11:03 AM
in reply to: #575217

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-10-30 9:02 AM
in reply to: #575473

Pro
Texas
Subject: RE: Outlaw Trail 100
spokes - 2006-10-23 11:03 AM

You did a great job of completing a metric on Saturday with cramps and that wind. I was in your neck of the woods this weekend and that wind was something else (I did a short recreational ride on Saturday).

The wind wasn't too bad actually, I've been in that area during much worse. I was actually telling my gf during one part of the ride that I had done before(I did the 'Poppy Ride' a few months back) to imagine these hills with a 25-30mph headwind. It was brutal at the Poppy Ride for sure.

Thanks for the kind words though, they're much appreciated.
2006-10-30 6:37 PM

Champion
Dallas, TX
You did a great job babe!

It was nice seeing your rear end for the entire ride!

2006-10-30 7:13 PM

Expert
Waller County, TX

Good job sticking it out and completing the ride. I've had just enough cramps to know they can just frickin ruin your whole day.

Nutrition and hydration are tricky issues to nail down sometimes and are so critical to a successful endurance event. We learn something during every race or event.

Had a great time with KSH down here for the weekend. Thanks for letting us borrow her!

Keep up the good work.

2006-10-30 7:14 PM

Pro
Evanston,

He he, I'm not sure I can top the previous comment, but... good for you for sticking it out!    Hope your legs recover nicely.

Sounds like a fun ride too - love the "color-coded six-shooters."

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Outlaw Trail 100 Rss Feed