Other Resources My Cup of Joe » As if the world doesn't hate the US enough as it is. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2006-10-27 7:01 PM
in reply to: #581614

User image

Giver
Subject: RE: As if the world doesn't hate the US enough as it is.

CBarnes - 2006-10-27 6:30 PM Jim, It seems like you just enjoy bashing the US and Trashing the President, Vice President ect. Oh well more power to you, but did you notice that your original post was anti US when it was a U.S. owned company that REQUESTED the change of time. It was not demanded it was not forced but I guess you would miss that point it might get in the way of your bashing. PS I am sure I misspelled or mispronounced something feel free to point it out I might learn something. Clifford

Please show me where I said I hated the US, in this thread or any other. Go ahead, I dare ya.

Look at the title: it sure doesn't say anything about Jim hating the US. It alluded to world reaction to the IOC's decision. And now go look at the feedback I posted and tell me if it was a false statement.

If you'd read the thread, I talked about how it was, indeed, an IOC decision. But I also stated truthfully that it was a US company's doing. The rest of the world sees it as another example of us throwing our weight around to impose our will.

Look...if I hated the US like you think I did, I wouldn't be so damn passionate about changing the things I don't like about it. Is it wrong to want a something better?

2006-10-27 7:08 PM
in reply to: #579808

Elite Veteran
Jim is quite predictable. And he is the victor. I don't post, nor contribute, to BT very much anymore because I can't stand him. Some of my favorite posters have also voted with their fingers. I miss them.

But this isn't about Jim. I don't care one way or another.

I DO wonder why an IOC decision to a request starts this thread with the equivalent to a "We're assh%les" response. Speak for yourself, dude.

2006-10-27 7:16 PM
in reply to: #581674

User image

Giver

lynda - 2006-10-27 8:08 PM I DO wonder why an IOC decision to a request starts this thread with the equivalent to a "We're assh%les" response.

Because, apparently unlike a lot of people, I give a damn about how the rest of the world views us. I want us to be good stewards; in fact I think it's our responsibility being the great nation we are. That's why when groups that arguably represent our country do stuff like this, damn the consequences, it p!sses me off. I'd really like to be able to travel abroad some day and not be greeted with derision because of my nationality.

Call me crazy, but I care. And if that p!sses people off, well then so be it.

Edited by run4yrlif 2006-10-27 7:19 PM
2006-10-27 7:18 PM
in reply to: #581676

User image

Giver

Hijack, but this is my thread so deal:

Why are people that speak against the Bush administration called traitors, when the same people that are calling us traitors spoke the same way about the past president? Why aren't all of you Clinton haters traitors?

2006-10-27 8:00 PM

Elite Veteran
Jim, perhaps you missed my original message. People in other countries view the olympics through their own lens.

In case I was too subtle, I'll repeat: LOTS OF COUNTRIES COULD GIVE A RATS ABOUT SWIMMING. They certainly don't care about what time the swimming is covered.

You strike me as very angry which is probably why I don't care for you at all. My suggestion (and I don't mean this in jest in any way) is to live 2-3 years outside of the US. Your opinion on all things American would be much more appreciated, sophisticated, and probably much more tempered.

This isn't a requirement for all Americans, just for those who love to wax on about how the rest of the world thinks about us. Get out there.

ETA: Your thread? No hyjack? WTF with that? Did I miss something? You must be lots of fun at parties...Damnit, Jim, I was discussing canapes!

Edited by lynda 2006-10-27 8:02 PM
2006-10-27 8:09 PM

User image

Champion

He's a dirty hippy too.

An angry, dirty hippy.

I can feel the anger coming from him.

And the hippy.

What were we talking about again?

2006-10-27 8:18 PM
in reply to: #581690

User image

Giver

lynda - 2006-10-27 9:00 PM Get out there. ETA: Your thread? No hyjack? WTF with that? Did I miss something? You must be lots of fun at parties...Damnit, Jim, I was discussing canapes!

That's good advice. I've travelled a bunch and worked for a year in the Peace Corps building fish farms in Honduras. And you're right, comparitvely this is a hell of a great country. I just want us to be better.

And it's interesting. IRL I'm actually the most easy-going, laid back person you'd ever meet. Heck. Maybe I'm just a bit stressed about this race I have in 8 days, I don't know. And I am fun at parties...just ask Black Spandex Man.

And you probably are right...people by and large don't give a rat's @ss about swimming. I'm definitely clouded by my love of the sport. But damn...it's the Olympics. It belongs to the world, not to us Americans.

Edited by run4yrlif 2006-10-27 8:34 PM
2006-10-27 8:20 PM
in reply to: #581696

User image

Giver
DerekL - 2006-10-27 9:09 PM

He's a dirty hippy too.

An angry, dirty hippy.

Hippies are *supposed* to be full of love. Autumn's right...I am only a wannabe hippie. Where did I go wrong? Damn you, Ironman. Damn you. 

2006-10-27 8:22 PM
in reply to: #581702

User image

Champion

Maybe you're not dirty enough.  I think all that time in the pool is washing off your essence.

run4yrlif - 2006-10-27 8:20 PM

Hippies are *supposed* to be full of love. Autumn's right...I am only a wannabe hippie. Where did I go wrong? Damn you, Ironman. Damn you. 

2006-10-27 8:23 PM
in reply to: #581704

User image

Giver

After IM, I'll make it my mission to rediscover my essence. 

DerekL - 2006-10-27 9:22 PM

Maybe you're not dirty enough. I think all that time in the pool is washing off your essence.

run4yrlif - 2006-10-27 8:20 PM

2006-10-27 8:57 PM

User image

Elite
Texas
run4yrlif - 2006-10-27 7:16 PM
lynda - 2006-10-27 8:08 PM I DO wonder why an IOC decision to a request starts this thread with the equivalent to a "We're assh%les" response.
Because, apparently unlike a lot of people, I give a damn about how the rest of the world views us. I want us to be good stewards; in fact I think it's our responsibility being the great nation we are. That's why when groups that arguably represent our country do stuff like this, damn the consequences, it p!sses me off. I'd really like to be able to travel abroad some day and not be greeted with derision because of my nationality.

Call me crazy, but I care. And if that p!sses people off, well then so be it.

Spoken like a truly dirty hippie...

Jim I get your point about the way you want people to see us.  And after a decade in military service where I "traveled" to the middle east, Europe, and Central and South America I get it and I agree. I think there's just a proportionality disconnect between the "not so important in the big picture" change in the swim schedule and the "pretty important in the big picture"  arguement that our country can stand some improvement in it's international image. Typical dirty hippie tactic if you ask me... but that's what I like about you Jim. I could give two #7^#s about the swimming schedule, but I've spent a significant part of my day thinking about our national image... which I suspect was your intent. Shouldn't you be off tapering something?

2006-10-27 11:58 PM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
Jim, I did not say you hate this country I said you bash this country. In the short period of time I have been on this site and viewed you posts I have concluded your first response to any issue is to bash this country and its leadership.. As far as Traitors who called you a traitor? Certainly not I, I applaud you for your work in the peace corps, I applaud you for your passion to make this country a better place but you do not make it a better place by calling its leaders baby eaters. Nor will you make it a better place by bashing it in every thread you post to. I may not be fair in that last remark but I have yet to read thread that you have not bashed the U.S., made ridiculous remarks about our leaders, or insulted the other posters including me. You are right I can not spell and my punctuation is poor, President Bush is not perfect and many U.S. policies are flawed. You seem to be a very intelligent person with a wealth of personal experience have you contacted you congressman’s office with your ideas for improving U.S./World relationships? That might be a more effective way to make real change instead of posing things like I said you hate this country, Dick Cheney eats babies and people that criticize bush are called traitors none of which are true or responsible statements.

Clifford
2006-10-28 6:47 AM
in reply to: #581770

User image

Giver

I think you're really misunderstnding me, and perhaps I've misunderstood you. So let me try to explain, because I really do want to be understood. When I read this: "but did you notice that your original post was anti US", it give me the impression that you think I hate the country. And it's really quite the contrary. Now, if I had said "Hooray! Another reason for the world to hate the US!", then yeah, I'd agree with you. But read what I wrote again, and the subsequent posts. If you think about it, what I wrote is actually very pro-US. I tried to express extreme disappointment that another thing happened to tarnish our image in the world's view. You may not agree with my points or the manner in which I tried to make them, but the foundation is solid. At least in my opinion. But I'll conceed that my passion does get in the way sometimes, and maybe I missed the mark. But seriously, people need to see that there's difference between questioning leadership and bashing the country.

Now, as for the personal stuff. I don't remember insulting your spelling or grammar. if I did that, it's offsides and I apologize, truly. Petty crap like that is just not productive, and I hate when I see it on this board or anywhere. So if I slipped and did something like that, I'm ashamed. Now, I do remember this exchange, and it may be what you're remembering:

CBarnes - 2006-10-25 10:58 PM I find it entertaining what stupid people do to themselves. 

run4yrlif: I bet some of them would be up for comparing IQs.

Just sayin'.

I stand by that. It wasn't a personal attack, and I wasn't calling you stupid. But you called people stupid that I respect, and people that I consider friends. So I called you on it. My point was the people that I know who do that stuff are actually extremely intelligent. Some are very gifted artists and writers. I take offense when marginallized people are marginallized further just because someone doesn't get what they do. It's a pet peeve.

And the baby eating. Sheesh. That was clearly a joke, and in response to another poster bringing the subject up (and fwiw, I "borrowed" it form Jon Stewart).

Peace. 

CBarnes - 2006-10-28 12:58 AM Jim, I did not say you hate this country I said you bash this country. In the short period of time I have been on this site and viewed you posts I have concluded your first response to any issue is to bash this country and its leadership.. As far as Traitors who called you a traitor? Certainly not I, I applaud you for your work in the peace corps, I applaud you for your passion to make this country a better place but you do not make it a better place by calling its leaders baby eaters. Nor will you make it a better place by bashing it in every thread you post to. I may not be fair in that last remark but I have yet to read thread that you have not bashed the U.S., made ridiculous remarks about our leaders, or insulted the other posters including me. You are right I can not spell and my punctuation is poor, President Bush is not perfect and many U.S. policies are flawed. You seem to be a very intelligent person with a wealth of personal experience have you contacted you congressman’s office with your ideas for improving U.S./World relationships? That might be a more effective way to make real change instead of posing things like I said you hate this country, Dick Cheney eats babies and people that criticize bush are called traitors none of which are true or responsible statements. Clifford

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » As if the world doesn't hate the US enough as it is. Rss Feed  

of 5