Telos
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 02m 18s
Overall Rank = 34/289
Age Group = M 25-29
Age Group Rank = 11/28
Pre-race routine:

Woke up with very little preparation for this race the night before. Threw a bunch of stuff in my bag, hopped in the car, and hoped I didn't forget anything. Met with Dave, Randy, Brian, Jason and Brett when I got there, and finally registered for the race (yes, I seriously procrastinated this one :))
Event warmup:

Drove the course out with the guys to anticipate what we had ahead of us. We were scared stiff by the time we got back. We decided it mighy be wise to do a little warmup to prepare. Randy, Dave and I did a short lap to warm up the legs just prior to the race start. We were careful not to spike our HR-
Swim
  • 08m 59s
  • 383 yards
  • 02m 21s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was the probably the most frustrating section of the race for me. I had the energy and drive to push hard on the swim, and I started out strong. I was feeling good, but unfortunately for me, I caught up with some slower folks (not hard to do when the swim comes last). I managed to swim around a couple, but I got really hung up behind a bunch of them. I couldn't seem to get around them, and even got so flustered myself with excessive kicking and floundering of others that I stopped a couple of times in the middle of the lanes. I also didn't handle the turns off the walls well at all. Ideally, this swim would have been possibly an entire minute or more faster without the trouble I encountered. But that's part of the game I suppose.
What would you do differently?:

Learn to swim underneath people. Guess I've got to start practicing my hypoxics if I want to pass people in a crowded situation. It would have been an ideal technique here.
Transition 1
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

T1 from Run to Bike- This probably could have been a tad quicker, but I felt pretty darn good that I didn't really dink around this time. My last couple races have had horrible transition times, and I had no intentions of repeating that again- so all in all, I'm very happy :)

Think faster! Unbuckle my bike shoes.... Maybe on these shorter races, use my running shoes on the bike. It takes a long time to get the cycling shoes on.
Bike
  • 29m 56s
  • 10 miles
  • 20.04 mile/hr
Comments:

Could have done slightly better on this course. Had a poor start on the bike... Couldn't get my shoes clipped in at bike mount. Lost some seconds there. Slowed down too much on the corners because of the volunteers' warnings (I'm always trying to follow rules)- could have safely taken them a bit faster. Also, on lap two of the downhill section, got stuck behind a bus and had to ride my brakes.

Be more aggressive on the course. Take full advantage of the downhills. Not sure I got the most out of all of the downhill sections in this race.
Transition 2
  • 00m 31s
Comments:

Bike to Swim transition. This was kind of frustrating for several reasons. I got in, stripped my shirt(s), bike shoes, helmet, etc. off and began running out of the transition area. Well, I almost forgot to take my socks off, and almost left my goggles behind like everyone else did. Fortunately, realized it before I left the transition area, so I didn't pay much. Did forget my towel though- no big loss.

The biggest frustration here was the walk they forced on us all the way to the pool. I was okay with not being able to run through the bldg and in the pool area, but at the same time, I thought it was a bit silly to make us WALK to the building through the parking lot. I really wanted to run it, and kept getting warned the entire way in...

Give the volunteers Randy's line... i.e, "You think this is fast? You should see my run!" Or else just suck it up and walk like everyone else, and quit being a baby about it :)
Run
  • 00m
  • 3.11 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

This run was sweet! I pushed myself hard and pulled off a first lap of around 6:40/mi. Mile two wasn't so friendly, and by mile 3, I really wanted to walk BAD... but I didn't- I was determined to keep going despite the pain. I wanted this run time to be EXCELLENT, and I wasn't willing to sacrifice even seconds.

Not really anything... I paced myself well at the beginning, resisting the urge to run sub-six min miles with the rest of the front of the pack. I think it definitely allowed me to survive mile two and finish strong in mile 3.
Post race
Warm down:

Chatted with Randy and Dave when I got in, and waited for Jason, Brett and Brian to come in. Dangled our feet in the hot-tub for a bit watching others, and discussed our races.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Poor hydration during the run and bike, and normal uncontrollable race conditions (ie, cars on road (BUS), and crowds of people in the pool). I feel like I gave it great mental effort- didn't fall short on this race.

Event comments:

This is a riot of a race. I loved the reverse-order triathlon for a change. It was so nice to think all I had was a short swim after the bike was over :) And it was a great way to end the race season just in time for the winter months.

Last updated: 2006-11-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:59 | 383 yards | 02m 21s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/28
Overall: 37/289
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Serpentine Swim in 50 meter pool.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 83F / 28C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:16
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:29:56 | 10 miles | 20.04 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/28
Overall: 41/289
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Two laps -- KILLER hill about 4 miles into the ride. Because it's a loop, what goes up must come down too, so there was plenty of fast road on it too...
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:31
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 03.11 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 7/28
Overall: 43/289
Performance: Good
Course: 1 lap with a moderate downhill in the first mile followed by a pretty good climb during Mile 2 with a false flat in mile 3. Officially they considered this a 5k- Garmin measured it at a 2.97 miles...
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-11-06 12:27 AM

User image

Regular
Draper, Utah
Subject: Telos Turkey Tri

2006-11-06 8:22 AM
in reply to: #589773

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah
Subject: RE: Telos Turkey Tri

Great Job, Billy -- Although you ALMOST procrastinated yourself out of a race!  Couldn't let that happen now, could we!

You did AWESOME! Your times were smoking.  I think you could have done a bit faster in a couple of places like you suggest, but your time was great -- 6:40 mile 1 -- what's with that.

It seems like your penchant for making googles a fashion accessory is rubbing off, Jason, Dave and I'm sure several others thought seriously about giving it a try!!

In all seriousness, man , you have had 1 KILLER first season.  Go back and look at your numbers.  It's amazing how far you've come!  CONGRATULATIONS

--- we now return to our regularly scheduled training program ---  

Edited by UTTriman 2006-11-06 8:22 AM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Telos Turkey Tri Rss Feed