United States
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 52m 44s
Overall Rank = 102/162
Age Group = M4044
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got there plenty early. Two transitin areas. T1 setup fine. Shuttle to lake fine. Watched start of 1/2 Ironman and the first finishers out of the lake with interest. Chris Legh is FAST!
Event warmup:

Just stretched and prepared mentally. Swim warmups closed at 6:45am but Sprint event did not start until 8:00. I was in heat 2 starting 5 minutes later.
Swim
  • 24m 20s
  • 1000 meters
  • 02m 26s / 100 meters
Comments:

Struggle in first 200 meters with rhythm and breathing. Actually had thoughts that I couldn't do 1000 meters, but plowed on. Made the turn and was feeling better. Very pleased with rhythm and pace in last 500 meters.
What would you do differently?:

I think that lack of warm up hurt me early. That is an event thing. I know that I am still not efficient in my stroke, so I bought the "Triathlon Swimming Made Easy" by the Total Immersion guy. We'll see how it goes.
Transition 1
  • 01m 55s
Comments:

Major improvement for me! Swam in Tri top so no changing. Socks on much faster than previous. Skipped gloves to save more time. Not even thinking about having my shoes already on the bike because I don't know if I'm coordinated enough to do that while riding.

Nothing right now except move faster!
Bike
  • 50m 39s
  • 15 miles
  • 17.77 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt really good about the bike segment. Early hills and flater faster around the speedway. Easily my fastest pace so far, although apparently pretty slow comparatively speaking.

KC Multisport folks are trying to talk me into getting a road/triathlon bike instead of my trusty hybrid. I have to decide if there is really that much bang for the buck? Maybe Lance will let me try out his bike so I can compare :-)
Transition 2
  • 02m 3s
Comments:

Fairly good transition, but I had a problem getting my GPS out of the bag and on my arm, which probably cost me 20 seconds.

run while putting GPS on. run while putting race number on. Don't worry so much about putting everything away just so.
Run
  • 33m 49s
  • 4 miles
  • 08m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

Took longer to get into rhythm after the longer first 2 segments. Ran pretty steady but go hot. Nothing special. Finished strong on the speedway. Just ahead of planned 8:30 pace

Faster, faster, faster!
Post race
Event comments:

First year of the Midwest Meltdown. This was my 3rd triathlon and, by far, the longest that I've done. Overall, I am very pleased with my performance, but a little down about where I placed overall. I race for me and not for a place, but it is a little sobering to know that you've worked hard and don't finish even in the top 1/2. Oh Well! This most encouraging thing to me is that "only" 18 minutes separate me and 1st place in my division. I definitely see room for improvement without training 15 hours a week. I am having fun!

Last updated: 2004-07-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:20 | 1000 meters | 02m 26s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/162
Performance: Average
Suit: None
Course: Wyandotte County Lake. North 400 meters toward marina and back 600 meters to south end of lake.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:55
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:50:39 | 15 miles | 17.77 mile/hr
Overall: 105/162
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Wyandotte County Lake to Kansas Speekway (5 miles somewhat hilly). Two loops around KS Speedway outer roads (8+ miles). 1 lap around Kansas Speekway track.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:03
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:33:49 | 04 miles | 08m 27s  min/mile
Overall: 84/162
Performance: Average
Course: 1 loop around KS Speedway outer roads + 1/2 lap around Kansas Speekway.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No