Overcast
Total Time = 4h 03m 8s
Overall Rank = 1190/4086
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 197/508
Pre-race routine:

Bagel and Coffee in Hotel Room
Event warmup:

1 Mile Job with 2x100 Pickups and Streches. Arrived in Corral about 30 minutes before race time and was feeling very calm. (Almost too Calm)
Run
  • 4h 03m 8s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out with a great pace plan. Just stick with 9:10 Pace for the flats, and go with perceived effort on the hills. (Don't worry so much about time)

The hills were fine as I expected to be chugging up more than a few of them. (No Charging please) I expected to really turn it on at mile 21 when the course heads downhill toward the bay and the finish.

Everything went pretty much according to plan. Had to make a few stops to the Loo. This was challenging in the GG Park as their were no Porto Loos to be had. (My Pace suffered a bit here while I tried to find one)

Got to the 21 Mile Mark pretty much as I expected and began to turn on the speed. (Down the hills to the Waterfront)

Did the last 10k in record time (For Me Anyway) and finished really strong. I Ran the whole way and had an absolute blast doing this race. My last mile was also my fastest mile. (Thank You Pfitz)
What would you do differently?:

I used Pfitz 18/70 to train for this race and picked up some sort of weird injury after Wildlower in May. Was down to 3 weeks.

I almost bagged this race. My training cycle really sucked but I did really well with this race. (A PR by ~25 Minutes)

"Don't let a bad Training Cycle Spoil a good race"
Post race
Warm down:

Went back to the hotel and had some lunch.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fitness.

I ran an excellent race with a 3 Minute Negative Split. Could not ask for anything more given my fitness level.

Event comments:

I would return to do this one again.

SF is a great city and a fantastic race destination. My only problem is how to train for a Summer Marathon in the heat. (During Tri Season)

Last updated: 2006-11-17 12:00 AM
Running
04:03:08 | 26.2 miles | 09m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 197/508
Overall: 1190/4086
Performance: Good
Course: Moderately Hilly course through the streets of San Francisco. The RD did manage to find the flattest route through the city, but it is still quite hilly. At least we get to run the GG Brige. (That was spectactular) This has to be the best race to do in the dead middle of Summer in terms of Weather and destination.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %5
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes