General Discussion Triathlon Talk » lake swims, tell me it gets easier!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-05 2:55 AM

Calgary, Alberta
Subject: lake swims, tell me it gets easier!!!
I did my first lake swim tonight. My first sprint triathlon is in 11 days. I am a bit concerned. I am not sure if my wetsuit fit properly(I am borrowing my sister's). It fit fine out of the water, but in the water it felt really tight around the chest, and it felt as if it was pulling my shoulders down. I felt like I couldn't breathe or swim well. I could do the breast stoke ok, but when I did freestyle, I could feel the water enter my suit under my armpits and move down my suit?!?!?!

My sister is going to take me out to do another lake swim on Friday and paddle a canoe beside me. I really need to feel more confident about this. I had thoughts of drowning during my tri, and thought maybe I should take out life insurance LOL.

Do you think I could go without the wetsuit??? Maybe I will see the temp of the water on Friday. The lakes here are pretty damn cold.

Edited by FitMama 2004-08-05 3:03 AM

2004-08-05 8:07 AM
in reply to: #43878

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle, WA
Subject: RE: lake swims, tell me it gets easier!!!
It does get better!!! It's so hard to get over the anxiety of swimming in a vast body of water...no lane-line, no side of the pool. But the more you do it, the more comfortable you will be!!

As far as the wetsuit goes, if you're already not comfortable with it, I'd ditch it. It's not worth having something else for you to worry about. See if you can rent a suit at a local dive/tri shop. Last I saw rates were about $35 for about 5 days rental (the don't seem to rent by the day!). You might think about a long-john suit...keeps your core warmer and gives you a buoyancy security blanket, but your arms are free!!

BEST OF LUCK! It will all be fine.
2004-08-05 10:31 AM

Veteran
Seattle, WA
I does get easier. My first open water training swim was a terrible experience. I was shocked that I hated it so much since I had grown up swimming in the ocean.

A couple of things that have helped me. First, start slow. I start with a minute of breast stroke in order to get my breath and get my heart rate up. This keeps me from getting out of breath so early. Second, practice sighting. Every 5-10 strokes look up so that you know where you are going. This also helps you see that you are making progress. Third, figure out how to "regroup". I either do some side stroke or flip on my back when I am feeling out of breath. You can also tread water or do breast or back stroke. The idea is to develop some tools to help you rest/recover when you can't stop and hang on to the wall.

I actually look forward to lake swims now. There are things like sunshine, clouds and even fish that a lake offers over my typical indoor pool swims. I also like avoiding chlorine and not paying pool fees and being able to go when I want to. Looking at these positive things has also helped my swimming since I am more relaxed from the get go.

Best of luck to you and just keep plugging on it!
2004-08-05 10:36 AM

New user

Rhode Island
It definatly gets easier with experience! you might want to look into borrowing/renting a wetsuit with better fit though. it will go a long way towards being more comfortable mentally and physically.
2004-08-05 11:15 AM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

I also think it gets easier as time goes on.  It's hard to put your face in cold, murky water!  As far as the wetsuit, try it again and try bunching it up near the shoulders.  If that doesn't help, then skip it or rent/borrow a different one.

Good luck!

2004-08-05 11:18 AM

User image

Expert
Palm Coast, FL
I will say IMHO that compared to swimming in the ocean lake swims are a breeze. I love them. When you drink the water you dont get that sick I'm going to die feeling in your stomach. If you can find a wetsuit that fits great. If not and you do go without when you get going and your blood gets moving you won't even notice the cold water. Just ask welshy.

2004-08-05 11:28 AM

Calgary, Alberta
Thanks for the reassurance guys!!! I was really kind of freaked out last night. It just felt so weird. I think part of my problem is that I went pretty hard for the first little bit and tired myself out quickly and nobody was with me(in the water). I only swam to the buoys that mark the swim area off. I will take my time next time to slowly get my heart rate up. When I did get tired, I flipped over onto my back and floated for a few seconds, then slowly started to do elementary back stroke.

How should the wetsuit fit?
I do have a long john wet (sleeveless with long legs). My sister(the one I borrowed the suit from) is 2" taller and was about 15 pounds lighter when she used to wear it. On me, it fit quite snugly, as I was just able to do the zipper up. Maybe it is a little short from shoulder to crotch? I am not sure why I could feel the water go into the suit when it was so snug, it that something I will have to get used to??
2004-08-05 11:34 AM

User image

Expert
Palm Coast, FL
water in the suit is a given the key is to keep the water thats in IN if water is flowing through the suit thats no good. Wearing wetsuits at the beginning I think most would agree will make you feel a little claustraphobic(sp) give it 2-4 times. If you still feel its the fit go try on some others. I just think its always an adjustment because a lot of people go through what you're describing the first few times they put on a suit and you will find many similar posts on this site.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » lake swims, tell me it gets easier!!! Rss Feed