View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tucson, Arizona
United States
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I was in Tucson on business on Wednesday, so I got to pick up my packet, buy a jersey and some socks. Got some free goodies too.
Event warmup:

I was riding with Team in Training. We had our pre-race dinner and my girlfriend Jennifer was the guest speaker. Her mother is in remission from leukemia and her father died from it about this time last year. She was very well spoken and there wasn't a dry eye in the room. I am always humbled by the experience to meet so many people who have over come such incredible odds. At my table was a couple whose 11 year old daughter was in remission. I am always so thankful for my health and for my problems.

We rode together as a group and lined up way, way, way in the back. It probably took 20 minutes to get to the start line.

I rode with my riding buddy, Debbie, who was my pace mentor from last year. I had gotten stronger so I was really able to keep up this year. We had a different pacing strategy this year, we really tried to hook up with some pace lines. We met 2 really nice young men at the river crossing, when I announced I was looking for a strong handsome young man to carry my bike. We hooked up with him and his buddy, whom both had decided to do the ride on little training, and drafted them for almost 2 hours. Some teams were down right nasty on the drafting, even when we offered to pull for a while, but never mind, we worked together.

When we got to Tangerine, there were no police, no markings and I am map challenged, we gathered quite a few people and no one knew which way to turn, luckily we turned the right way.

I always meet the nicest people along the way, I met survivors, people doing their first century; Santa Claus (he came out of that stuff by mile 30).

I am not speedy, but I was full of energy all the way to the end. I nailed my nutrition, which is always a problem for me, but I got it right this year.

I had a blast. The weather was good, the company was great. My gun time was 9:40, my ride time was 8:24. I was very very pleased with my time and my effort. This was my second century and it won't be my last.
Bike
  • 8h 24m
  • 115 miles
  • 13.69 mile/hr
What would you do differently?:

Get faster. I was worried that I was undertrained, because last year I wasn't working, but this year I was.
Post race
Warm down:

I went to the TNT party, had lots of turkey, dressing. The next morning I woke my husband up at 6 and said "Baby, I need some food". I went to Denny's and had the Grand Slam breakfast. By noon, I was at the Furr's all you can eat buffet, chowing down.

I am still humbled by the experience.

Last updated: 2006-10-24 12:00 AM
Biking
08:24:00 | 115 miles | 13.69 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-11-20 1:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Phoenix, AZ
Subject: First Magnus El Tour de Tucson

2006-11-20 1:12 PM
in reply to: #604074

Extreme Veteran
AZ
Subject: RE: First Magnus El Tour de Tucson
Great race!!  All that talk about food is making me hungry. 
2006-11-20 1:14 PM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ

Great race! And it's awesome you did it for TNT too.

You can always tell it was a good race when you want to do it again next year.

2006-11-20 1:32 PM
in reply to: #604083

User image

Veteran
Phoenix, AZ
I met a Tucson Tri-Girl named Carol, she finished right behind me.
2006-11-20 1:58 PM

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA

Nice ride!!  I did my first century with TNT in 1997, at age 23.  Loved it, cruised in at just under 8 hours, and said "I'll definitely try that again."  And I have ridden centuries since then, but none for TNT, and yet I'll always be grateful to the coaches and riders and golly-gee all the people who sponsored me/TNT for the ride of my then-young life.

Now at 32 I am thinking about Ironman...and I do 1-2 centuries each year, unsupported but with friends, just to make sure I still have the saddle time and patience for it.

Hopefully you'll continue to gain confidence in pack riding and pace lining, and keep coming back to the Tucson Tour, or other local centuries.  My ride nowadays is Boston to Provincetown (tip of Cape Cod), then take the Ferry back to Boston.

2006-11-20 2:49 PM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Awesome ride- that's so cool that you had a whole support crew and team with you. I like that you did it for a cause, that's very noble of you. Great ride, and I'm glad you had so much fun!

2006-11-21 11:20 AM

User image

Master
New Jersey
Way to go Robin!!!

All that talk of short training rides and injuries? No problems on race day, huh?

My wife rode too and was at the same TNT dinners. She's already making plans to head back next year. I'm hoping I finally get to go. She rode with just the intention to ride "comfortably hard" and ended up 20 mins faster than last year when she was trying for time. Now, she has sights on improving even more.

Congratulations!!!!

Walt
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » First Magnus El Tour de Tucson Rss Feed