General Discussion Race Reports! » International Thanksgiving Day Run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

International Thanksgiving Day Run - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Orem, Utah
United States
Runners Corner/Sojourner's Running Club
45F / 7C
Overcast
Total Time = 26m 5s
Overall Rank = 44/574
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 8/51
Pre-race routine:

We packed up the family SUV and headed down to Orem. This year, all four of my kids raced. I helped my 15 month old, then watched the other kids.

The baby was hilarious! He couldn't sit still at the beginning and wanted to keep running down the road, so I had to hold him. Right before the start, I put him down and held him in place. The starting bullhorn siren and crowd cheering scared him, so the second I let go, he turned around and started running backwards. I kept picking him up and turning him around, but he wouldn't go toward the finish line. All of the other kids were 50 M into the 100 M run when I finally was able to coax him forward, only while holding both hands from behind. I managed to get him through it, but he seemed unsure of all of the people around him the whole time.

My other kids did great! They haven't been running a whole lot and as usual sprinted out at the first with the mass of children until they couldn't run any more. The each had to take a short walk break, but all managed to pick it back up through the finish line. They all had such a great time doing the race! My oldest (Madysen) finished only a couple of seconds out of 5th place (out of 21) and getting a ribbon, which would have thrilled her to death. I'll have to work a little bit more with them next year. I've only actually taken them running once in preparation.
Event warmup:

I had very little time to warm up, but did manage a short 2-3 minute jog to get my HR up to Zone 1. Of course, it was beating almost that high at the starting line just in anticipation of the race!
Run
  • 26m 5s
  • 4 miles
  • 06m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Because Cheryl was running too, I took the Garmin that doesn't work very well. It seems to lose signal in wide open areas, and is rarely correct. I thought I was running 6:30 for the first mile, which is right where I wanted to be, but when I hit the mile marker, I was at 6:08. My HR was right above my LT, and I was starting to feel it, so I backed off a bit for mile 2-3. By mile 4, I brought the average back down to 6:30.

I pushed pretty hard to pass several people in the last 1/2 mile. I had my mind set on passing one guy who was about 100 feet in front of me. I managed to catch up to him with about 1/4 mile to go and followed him for a bit. I passed him with about 200yds to go and pulled ahead a bit, and we played leapfrog back and forth until I realized that I just didn't have it in me, so I had to let him go. I was a little disappointed that I couldn't pull it off, but I can definitely say I gave it everything I had at the end. I was hoping to break 26:00, but missed it by a mere 5 seconds. Still, this is a solid improvement from last year's 27:30.
What would you do differently?:

Pace a little better. I could have slowed mile 1 down by 20 seconds or so and probably maintained pace. This would have probably pushed me under the 26:00 mark.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked for 2-3 minutes, then jogged back up the course to meet up with my wife. I passed 4-5 people I knew along the way and cheered them on, then finished with Cheryl.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was a good race. I'd like to be faster again next year, but it reflected where I'm at with my training right now.

Event comments:

The race started on time this year. They increased the day of price from last year, yet still had over 60% of people sign up the day of. They also had several people switch from the 4 mile to the 2 mile walk, which really messed their timing system up. They did manage to get results together, but it took longer than most people want to wait. Otherwise, the race went over well. It's a great course that can support the 600 racers that were there.

Last updated: 2006-11-23 12:00 AM
Running
00:26:05 | 04 miles | 06m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/51
Overall: 44/574
Performance: Good
Average HR - 180 Max HR - 184
Course: The course is an almost double loop of the block around Mountanview High School. It's pretty much pancake flat the whole time.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-11-23 5:53 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Subject: International Thanksgiving Day Run

2006-11-28 3:13 PM
in reply to: #607278

User image

Master
West Jordan, UT
Subject: RE: International Thanksgiving Day Run

Nice Run!  Your 4 mile pace is about the same as my 3 mile pace.  I hope to be able to catch you some day.

I bet it is fun to watch your kids race.   My 4 year old wants to try a race soon so maybe I will have to sign her up for one like this next spring.   

2006-11-29 1:06 PM
in reply to: #610341

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah
Subject: RE: International Thanksgiving Day Run

Congrats on a great race!  Keep it up --

Did you get another Garmin??

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » International Thanksgiving Day Run Rss Feed