NJRRC
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 06m 30s
Overall Rank = 101/117
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 9/11
Pre-race routine:

Had my FIRST every triathlon nightmare, you know, just to start things off well! Totally bizarre, I didn't have any gear, and when I found my backpack I couldn't find anything in it. Found a helmet. Realized I didn't have bike shoes, nor did I even know if I had traps or clips. Peddled around in my bare feet. Then they called a 15 second warning for swimmers, and everyone got in the water and started swimming! I grabbed my goggles, didn't even have a cap, and got in late for the 50 meter (yes) swim. Got in and out, then didn't have water in my water bottle. Asked Kathy for a Detour bar, didn't have anything to eat on the bike. Washed the salt water off my face in the bathroom of an empty mexican restaurant that was on the beach (??) Got on the bike, forgot my race belt. Realized I DIDNT HAVE A RACE NUMBER. Woke up in a cold sweat, glad I was only running today :)

Quads and hamz were really tight. Got nervous. Also had a knot in my back for the last few days, wondered how that would affect my breathing. Got a little more nervous.

Got a call from Trainer Freddie, he wasn't going to be joining me as his wife was sick. Foo, NOW who's going to eat all that overnight french toast I made for us post-race??

Left the husband and the kid home to watch after the dog (long story) and ate a Clif bar and drank a cup of coffee in the car!
Event warmup:

Got to Pier Village, parked, found Gold's Gym, got my goody bag, chatted up a gal who was in a previous race with me. Went back to the Gym, saw Alison, who happily pointed out the course map. Gulp. That's a long'un.

Realized my mp3 player's batteries had died. Lamented muchly. Normally, I wouldn't use one in a race, but I needed the distraction as I had no cheering section. Or so I thought....
Run
  • 1h 06m 30s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 10m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Alison decided to run with me, despite the fact she just did the Philly marathon last weekend. My hero! She paced me but good, and if it weren't for her chatting me up and keeping me motivated, I seriously doubt I would have come in with sub-11's! At 3 miles we were 31 minutes or so in, which makes me very, very happy. I was good until about mile 4.5 and then I started getting tired. Or, rather, my legs were. Mile 5 to 6 was drudgery, but when I saw that 6 painted at the curb, MAN did that feel great! Alison came back around to get me after she finished (having seen a PR coming for her, she sprinted ahead of me and my slow tired self around 5.5) and hollered my butt in. I was totally stunned to see my time (I don't wear a watch when I run...) and I have a feeling my finish line photo will be showing quite a funky look on my face! It'll be a keeper, no matter what!
What would you do differently?:

I did walk the water stations, and I should have reversed the last 2 and done water *then* gatorade, but other than that I'm not disappointed. Now that I'm going over 5 miles (!!) I'll be working on the hydration/nutrition thing a little more.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked, got water, innocently ended up with a "random" pie prize :) and actually hung out for the award ceremony. It's fun, I'm starting to remember names and faces in the local running 'scene' and I'm less and less worried about coming in last with every race I run.

Thank you Alison!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being a newbie, first time at this distance, yadda yadda.

Event comments:

Definitely doing this one again. NJRRC puts on good races!

Last updated: 2006-10-01 12:00 AM
Running
01:06:30 | 06.2 miles | 10m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/11
Overall: 0/117
Performance: Good
Course: Flat with a few loops through neighborhoods, though most was along the boardwalk.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-11-26 3:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Thanksgiving Sunday 10K

2006-11-26 4:52 PM
in reply to: #608356

User image

Master
brummie land
Subject: RE: Thanksgiving Sunday 10K

brilliant race maxpaxie! and speedy too - you'll soon be leaving the sbrc

i'm going to do my rr tomorrow as i don't hav the results yet but am pleased with my potential time.

well done  

2006-11-26 9:06 PM

User image

Veteran
that is so great...and very cool of allison to run with you. you should be very proud, can't wait to see that finish line photo!
2006-11-27 10:27 AM

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ
hey great job! the dream made me laugh, i had similar visions before danskin and my last 5K... weird how our minds work out these scenarios before the race! i love it that you had someone to run with... and if there's any french toast left over, i'm in!
hope doggie is okay!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Thanksgiving Sunday 10K Rss Feed