General Discussion Race Reports! » Victory Junction Run Half Marathon and 4.5K Victory Lap Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Victory Junction Run Half Marathon and 4.5K Victory Lap - Run5k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
RANDLEMAN, North Carolina
United States
Active.com
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 21m 30s
Overall Rank = n/a/
Age Group = n/a
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

The was a GREAT event! But... it was the inagural one and they had a few glitches. The Victory Junction Gang Camp is located in rural NC and isn't designed for 800 visitors. So they started the half marathon at the local middle school at 10:00 and then bused all the 4.5k participants and everyones families to the camp for the 11:00 start. Well... 2 of the 3 charter buses they rented broke down. Logistics were a nightmare and a lot of folks didn't get to the camp until 11:30-11:45. We were lucky with our strollers and kids and got on a small camp bus and made it for the start (delayed till around 11:25 to accomodate more people).
Event warmup:

I didn't really get a good warmup since we were running late, worrying about the kids (our first race with the kiddies and jogger strollers), and just looking around in awe at the camp (a great place).
Run
  • 21m 30s
  • 2 miles
  • 10m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

My left thigh started acting up again and I had to hobble on the last mile. Pushing the jogger stroller didn't help, but I don't know what to change yet. I ran again on tuesday (today) and felt fine. sheesh
What would you do differently?:

Practice more with the jogger stroller.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and tried running a short distance without the stroller to see what was up with my leg. Then ate some bananas, oranges, bagels, etc and had a sports drink.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Leg issues.

Event comments:

Aside from the 4.5k being short and the bus issues (they had 7-8 of them by the time the race was over to get everyone back to their cars) this was an AWESOME event! We'll definitely do it again next year. Great people, great cause, and a lot of fun.

Kyle and Patty Petty (nascar fame) run the camp and they were high fiving all the finishers at the finish line. Everyone (even my kids) got a nice finishers medal. The shirts were very nice. The bib #'s were the best I've seen yet (personalized if you signed up early enough). There were hunderds of volunteers all over the place. The local HS and MS cheerleaders were stationed around the half and 4.5k course cheering people on (my son liked that). Great time!

Last updated: 2006-11-06 12:00 AM
Running
00:21:30 | 02 miles | 10m 45s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Course: This event was designed for the half marathon. And I think the "4.5k victory lap" was more for walkers and families to tour the camp than an actual race. Either that or they forgot to mark another loop or leg of the run. It only ended up being at most a 2 mile trek. However, it was hilly as heck! After the race I even heard some of the speedy runners (finished in 11 min) and the half marathoners talking about how difficult the hills were. But... it was very cool to run through the camp and see how fun it is set up for the kids that attend every year. It was immaculate, clean, bright, entertaining, and had "fun" all over it.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-12-05 9:23 AM

Master
Charlotte, NC
Subject: Victory Junction Run Half Marathon and 4.5K Victory Lap

2006-12-07 6:23 AM
in reply to: #616044

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio
Subject: RE: Victory Junction Run Half Marathon and 4.5K Victory Lap
Sounds like a really fun race!  Can't believe you were able to finish so fast pushing the stroller!  Great job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Victory Junction Run Half Marathon and 4.5K Victory Lap Rss Feed