General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bad Group Ride Experience Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2006-12-19 12:19 PM
in reply to: #626841

Subject: RE: Bad Group Ride Experience
In general group rides are best for experienced cyclists, unless they specifically are geared to beginners. Stay our of any rides that you are not comfortable with.

You are lucky they waited for you at all, that is rare.

Never use crosswalks to turn! Crosswalks are for peds, you are a vehicle get in line with the other vehicles and if a car does something to you that they would not do to another car (i.e. cut you off) makes sure they know about it (tell them nicely, yell, spit, etc.)

2006-12-19 12:27 PM
in reply to: #628040

User image

Master
Portland, OR

actri - 2006-12-19 10:19 AM In general group rides are best for experienced cyclists, unless they specifically are geared to beginners. Stay our of any rides that you are not comfortable with. You are lucky they waited for you at all, that is rare. Never use crosswalks to turn! Crosswalks are for peds, you are a vehicle get in line with the other vehicles and if a car does something to you that they would not do to another car (i.e. cut you off) makes sure they know about it (tell them nicely, yell, spit, etc.)

If you are lucky enough to have a beginner group ride, then by all means join it.  But part of getting to be that "experienced cyclists" is by doing.  Success often comes by doing something we're not comfortable with.  I was very uncomfortable with my first few group rides but by keeping it up, I got better.  If I'd quit that first ride just because it was uncomfortable, I'd still be a crappy cyclist.  (OK, not that I'm that great now...but I have made improvements...)

That's not to say you should put yourself in a situation where you aren't safe...but this group sounded like they were keeping a good eye out.

2006-12-19 2:26 PM
in reply to: #626850

User image

Expert
Haddam, CT

briderdt - 2006-12-18 11:57 AM In reality, your nervousness is your worst enemy on the downhills. Relax and let the bike do what it naturally does, and you'll be fine. And that whole "making a left without using the crosswalks"... PLEASE tell me you don't use the crosswalks to make left turns. BE A VEHICLE!

This took a whole season for me to learn, compounded with learning how to use clips the same year.  Two years later, I'm very comfortable in traffic.  You need to look BIG - take up the lane!  Send clear signals about which way you are turning.  Make eye contact with drivers.  You are a vehicle - not a pedestrian, and are expected to travel in the road with cars.  I ride on the side of the road when rolling, but at intersections (if turning left) wait right int he middle of lane as if I'm driving a car. 

I apply the same reasoning when I'm travelling around blind curves or at high speeds downhill.  Do NOT hug the shoulder - get out in the middle of the road.  Be as visible as possible for cars pulling out in front of you! 

Another defensive move: don't ride right next to a row of parked cars.  Someone will, eventually, open their door without looking for you. 

2006-12-19 3:03 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

Mark,

I think the previous posters....especially Oi and ChrisM, have it pretty much pegged.  And your riding group was certainly accommodating by waiting.  That's red-carpet treatment from most of the groups I ride with, mostly reserved for hot chicks.   Just kiddin', sort of.

In kinda summary form, it's all about your confidence.  And I think confidence comes from having a  body and mind that are ready, and knowing that your risk has been minimized - you can't get rid of the risk, but it can be minimized.  These will simply come from:

1) riding more, so your fitness allows you to have the capability to stay with the pack with some reserve, which you may need to react or catch up,  

2) practicing in uncomfortable situations(traffic, downhill, corners), so your mind is trained to take things that currently make you nervous, and deal with them in a way that you ride predictably and in control...for your safety and the riders around you. You've got the right things - a coach emphasizing bike handling, an accommodating group, LA traffic...so it's a question of doing it, and

3) knowing the course, and knowing your equipment.  I can't emphasize these enough...For the course, NONE of us have any business going balls-out down a downhill where we haven't policed the route for potholes, debris, cracks, bumps, etc.  If you need to drive the course before you go, do it.  It's that important.  Also, double check brakes and quick release wheels BEFORE your ride.  There isn't a rider out there that hits 40 or 50mph whose brain doesn't instinctively flash "Did I remember to really tighten down my front wheel?"!!  And that's the WRONG time to think about that...

Pick your spots to practice, so that you'll learn in a safe environment that's good for you.  Also, pick your spots to race and participate with groups, because until you get number 2 right...especially in a race or a group...it could jeopardize folks around you.  It's not too hard to imagine you going 25 down a 45mph hill, with someone closing on you at 20mph from the rear...and that's not the safest situation...

FWIW, I think you've got the right outlook, the willingness to keep after it, and it will come over time.  I'd bet that in a year, you'll look back on this thread and have some great news to share about your downhilling and cornering capability.

2006-12-19 3:33 PM
in reply to: #628295

User image

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
Thanks Rick. Great points. I don't know how feasible it is to drive the course prior. And debris can materialize even after checking the course.

I found out after from Chris that I guess there is a sign that says that road is not suitable for bikes. I believe it.

Geez, I went from quitting biking, to just quitting group bikes, to considering a group ride again...in fact, part of me wants to do that exact same ride again with the same group.

The only remaining issue have is that I really didn't get time to rest. It was a little frustrating being told to keep going when I was working much harder just to keep up near that pace. But, as I have found out, I guess you 'earn' a break when you get better.

Cheers,
Mark

2006-12-19 4:10 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2006-12-19 10:45 PM

Hey, Mark, I'll be happy to come ride with you sometime. I'm also slower/hesitant on the downhills, I like scenery, and I get intimidated by the fast groups. Or I can point you toward a few local easier-pace rides where there will ALWAYS be someone behind you, so you will always get some rest. You don't need a shrink, just some experience with groups.
Dr. Gail, psycho(logist)
2006-12-19 10:51 PM
in reply to: #628344

I found out after from Chris that I guess there is a sign that says that road is not suitable for bikes. I believe it.

In all honesty, I believe those signs are put up as an attempt at a liability barrier by the PV an Rolling Hills city councils.  Those roads are absolutely fine for bikes, just not beginner group rides.    Seriously, hang out there on any weekend and I bet you'd see in excess of 500 cyclists on PV Drive.

Maybe we need a BT Tour de PV

2006-12-20 8:39 AM
in reply to: #628656

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
ChrisM - 2006-12-19 8:51 PM

In all honesty, I believe those signs are put up as an attempt at a liability barrier by the PV an Rolling Hills city councils. Those roads are absolutely fine for bikes, just not beginner group rides. Seriously, hang out there on any weekend and I bet you'd see in excess of 500 cyclists on PV Drive.

Maybe we need a BT Tour de PV

GailG and I are in! Preferably a Sunday.

Cheers,
Mark
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bad Group Ride Experience Rss Feed  

of 3