General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bad Group Ride Experience Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2006-12-18 10:47 AM

User image

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
Subject: Bad Group Ride Experience
Well, I went on what I consider my first official group ride. There were supposed to be an advanced group and an intermediate group, but not enough people came out and it was just one group. I was a little concerned since my bike abilities are certainly back of the pack.

It started off no problem. Some hills and flats. Stayed with the group for the most part.

The first issue I had was they waited at certain points and rested and then when I caught up, they would say keep on going. I wanted to rest too! I was working hard to keep up and I needed the rest more than they did. I understand they didn't want to keep waiting and that pushing me through would keep the flow going, but it just didn't seem equitable.

The second part was the worst. It was the downhill part on an extremely busy street with only a cosmetic bike lane. The bike lane was filled with debris and leaves.

I am abysmal going downhill. I use the brakes and I don't like going out of control. If I go more than 25 mph, I start to get a little nervous. One car honked at me and the driver swore at me. There was no place for me to go and I wasn't about to speed up.

The group waited at the bottom for me, as usual. And they go right in the middle of traffic to turn left instead of using the crosswalks. This one girl came literally inches away from being hit. She knew it but just kind of blew it off. I couldn't just blow off this harrowing experience.

I was shaken up enough that I really had the impulse to quit triathlons, sell my bike, and just be a runner. I am not a biker and I don't like putting myself into dangerous situations. Seems like everyday here we read about 'xyz' cyclist killed. And those are good cyclists. I am mediocre on a good day.

After some time to reflect, I am not going to quit triathlons. I just am not going to go on any group bike rides though where I don't feel comfortable. Maybe I have unreal phobia of getting hit by cars that I need to get over. I will drive an hour to avoid having to ride among cars.

Do I need a pyschiatrist? Can I avoid group rides and get decent at the bike?

Thanks

2006-12-18 10:50 AM
in reply to: #626841

Veteran
Allen, TX
Subject: RE: Bad Group Ride Experience
Well, I give you two points for even trying. I'm terrified to ride with a group right now. I know I will have to at some point, but for now I'm happy on the trails with my DS. I'm thinking there must be a newbie group somewhere.

2006-12-18 10:52 AM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
First time = hairy situation.

But you know what?? They waited for you and sounded patient. I know a lot of groups that would have just left you - I've been on the receiving end of that when I got a flat once in a fast group ride.

The more you do them, the better and faster you will be and not sweating it so much. Don't be discouraged because you had a semi-bad experience (and it really doesn't sound that bad, just semi-traumatic as new experiences go).
2006-12-18 10:57 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
In reality, your nervousness is your worst enemy on the downhills. Relax and let the bike do what it naturally does, and you'll be fine.

And that whole "making a left without using the crosswalks"... PLEASE tell me you don't use the crosswalks to make left turns. BE A VEHICLE!
2006-12-18 11:00 AM

Master
Brooklyn, NY
How about a different group? Daremo is right though. This group did sound patient but at the same time there was supposed to be two different groups if not for the lack of people. Give it another try when there are enough people to form a "slower" group.

I wish I could but don't group ride cause my time (or lack thereof), just won't let me. I hear great things as progress goes when joining group rides but if you are uncomfortable I would either go somewhere else or ride alone (in your pace).

2006-12-18 11:14 AM
in reply to: #626850

User image

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
briderdt - 2006-12-18 8:57 AM

In reality, your nervousness is your worst enemy on the downhills. Relax and let the bike do what it naturally does, and you'll be fine.

And that whole "making a left without using the crosswalks"... PLEASE tell me you don't use the crosswalks to make left turns. BE A VEHICLE!

I use crosswalks all the time. I never even think of going in traffic. Last time, I checked my bike didn't have any seat belts or air bags like the other vehicles

2006-12-18 11:14 AM

User image

Veteran
GolfMark - 2006-12-18 11:47 AM

Can I avoid group rides and get decent at the bike?

Thanks

Absolutely. I think I've done one organized group ride in my 3+ years of tri training. I may not be the best cyclist out there, but I usually place in the top 10% or so (and I started from pretty darn slow). So there's hope.

If you want to ride with people, find some cycling friends that are about your pace and ride with them. That works for me.
2006-12-18 11:15 AM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

Nothing wrong with being jittery around cars on the bike.  If it makes you stick to areas that are safer to ride on that could be a good thing.  Personally I can do it, but I hate riding in traffic.  I make a strong effort to stick to the areas I know are the safest and for my weekday early morning rides in the dark I stick to the loop in my part of town that I think is the safest.  It gets boring doing the same 4 mi. loop over and over but I'd rather be bored than crippled or dead.  I've never done a group ride and can't offer you any advice there.  I can tell you that riding solo all the time is very doable and not liking group rides is no reason to get discouraged about triathloning.

2006-12-18 11:17 AM
in reply to: #626847

User image

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
Daremo - 2006-12-18 8:52 AM

First time = hairy situation.

But you know what?? They waited for you and sounded patient. I know a lot of groups that would have just left you - I've been on the receiving end of that when I got a flat once in a fast group ride.

The more you do them, the better and faster you will be and not sweating it so much. Don't be discouraged because you had a semi-bad experience (and it really doesn't sound that bad, just semi-traumatic as new experiences go).

Yes more traumatic. The kicker was getting cursed and honked by an SUV.

I also don't like being waited on either. Makes me feel uncomfortable that I am hurting their experience. Would have prefered to go on my own.

I am fine on uphills and flats. It is the downhills that kill me. Same as in skiing. I would always meander down the mountain while others go straight down.

Cheers

2006-12-18 11:23 AM
in reply to: #626876

User image

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
hangloose - 2006-12-18 9:15 AM

Nothing wrong with being jittery around cars on the bike.  If it makes you stick to areas that are safer to ride on that could be a good thing.  Personally I can do it, but I hate riding in traffic.  I make a strong effort to stick to the areas I know are the safest and for my weekday early morning rides in the dark I stick to the loop in my part of town that I think is the safest.  It gets boring doing the same 4 mi. loop over and over but I'd rather be bored than crippled or dead.  I've never done a group ride and can't offer you any advice there.  I can tell you that riding solo all the time is very doable and not liking group rides is no reason to get discouraged about triathloning.

Thanks Hangloose. I realize I was just upset at the time and I had extreme thoughts. Running in comparison seems so tame. You can do it anywhere under virtually any conditions.

I was watching the Kona Ironman and those two wheelchair participants. Both, I believe, were in bicycling accidents. Scary thing is that it isn't that unusual to hear this. I feel very exposed on the bike. I see people talking on cell phones and veering all over the place. All it takes is 5 seconds of veering. There is too much trust involved in biking in the street, especially since you can't see the car behind you. With running, you run into traffic, so you can see what is going on far ahead.

Cheers
2006-12-18 11:27 AM

User image

Pro
Orange Park Florida

1.  You don't need a psych.

2.  You can avoid group rides if you want but....

Like the others said, give it some time. 

Not all group rides are the same.  I am very lucky that the group I ride with has a wide range of abilities.  The main thing is that the LBS owner (who manages the rides) is a great biker and understands that people have different abilities.  He has been know to ride his mountain bike just so that he can get around easier (over curbs and through the crap) to help other folks out.

It is a bummer when you don't get a chance to rest with everyone else but just think of it as extra training.

Have fun!

2006-12-18 11:37 AM

User image

Elite
New City, New York

Almost all of my rides are solo.  Just not into the group thing, scheduling, meeting,waiting,  etc.

Recently though I've been riding w/ one experienced rider and man, is he aggresive on the roads. It takes some getting used to but I'll be better for it. Now if he was just a bit fasterWink

Still, I prefer to ride where there is less traffic and also longer and harder than him. So do what works for you but remember, you'll race alone.

2006-12-18 11:42 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Sorry to hear your group experience wasn't very good.

Lucky for me, a co-worker is an avid cyclist and leads intermediate group rides, so I've been introduced to the group a little more gently. In our area, "beginner" rides are considered no-drop, so the group goes slow enough to keep the last person in the group. "Intermediate" rides may or may not be no-drop, but they'll usually regroup several times for stragglers if they don't keep together. The "advanced" groups make it clear that you either keep up or find your own way back. A couple times, the advanced group started out with the rest of the group, and my coworker pointed out who they were so I wouldn't get sucked into their group.

I'd try the group again, but show up with the expectation that you'll do the intermediate ride or a solo workout, not a combined advanced/intermediate ride.
2006-12-18 11:46 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

GolfMark, first off, great job getting out there and riding with the group.  You'll get more use to downhills the more comfortable you get on a bike.  When I first started going down hill, I wouldn't dare let my bike get above 20 - 25 mph and I would always have my brakes on.  You could smell them on my way down.  Now I barely brake because I'm comfortable on the bike.  It will come with time.

But, I have to address some things.  None of this is to be negative.

It sounds like the bike group was really looking out for you.  It was your first time and from the sounds of it, the "fast" group showed up and were making sure you were ok.  That's hard to find, unfortunately.

Just because you bike doesn't have a seat belt doesn't mean it's not a vehicle.  Actually, in most states, you bike is a vehicle.  That the reason you can't go flying down a sidewalk at 20 mph.  If you're riding on the road, you're a vehicle.  That means that you observe the rules of the road and that includes making a left turn just like a car does.  That's why riding in a pack is much safer.  It lets vehicles know that we are there.

Instead of thinking of the one car that honked at you, think of the many cars that DIDN'T honk at you and actually respected your right to be on the road.  You just get people that don't think you should be on the road no matter what.  They are wrong...you are not.  We've been on a 25 mph road doing 25+ and had a car honk at us.  Go figure.

Think of the postive and the longer you ride, the better you'll get.  And keep going on the group rides...it will make you a better rider. 

Keep up the good work.

2006-12-18 12:15 PM

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA

Ditto to all Dan said above; Overall your ride went well and your next will go better.  It really does get easier in time.  Remember that it's supposed to be fun, and don't let a cranky SUV idiot spoil that for you.

I'd suggest arriving to the meet-up location just a little earlier to A.) let them get to know you and your exp a little better and B.) connect with another regular rider who'll be towards the back, taking an easy day, or whatever.   They can chat with you about the Rules of the Road (bikes are part of traffic, just like cars) and the dynamics of the group (just knowing who's off the front and why might make you less irritated when they're not patiently waiting for you to recover because they have a big workout planned, race date just ahead, etc.).  They can also tell you who's *not* out at the ride -- there may be a rider very similar to you who just stayed home on that one day.  Knowing that can help you decide if this group is the right one for you in the future. 

Good luck and keep on riding, no matter what.

Unless it snows, and then it's OK to wimp out a little and get on the trainer.

2006-12-18 12:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO
stick with it!!! Don't get discouraged and don't give up on the group thing. Everybody above has said this, but I reitterate... find a beginner group ride!!! They will introduce you to the behaviors and rules (both spoken and unspoken) so you can become more comfortable and understand road etequite.

your bike handling skills will come with time in the saddle. Ride both alone and in a group. As you ride, pay particular attention to how you feel. (stiff arms, stiff neck, slow or fast pedeling, hand position, etc) Generally, the more relaxed you are, the better the bike will behave.

Also to reiterate, (by law) you need to follow the rules of automobiles. stay in the street and off the sidewalks/crosswalks. Make sure you use your hand signals so cars and pedestrians know what you are doing.

keep it up !!!

2006-12-18 12:44 PM
in reply to: #626928

User image

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
Thanks for all the support. Felt so bad about myself last night like there was something wrong with me.

I really feel chicken when it comes to going fast, be it on a bike or skiing. I just can't get out of my comfort range.

Oddly enough, I didn't feel scared at all going skydiving!

Am I not allowed to utilize crosswalks? I can't imagine having to go in the left hand turn lane in some of the Los Angeles traffic I drive in. I feel a lot more comfortable utilizing cross-walks.

I am still not gearing up to be part of group rides. I am kind of a solo person by nature. I don't like waiting for people, but I feel 100x worse having people wait on me. Biking is much more, or at least appears, a community type sport. I was surprised to see all the group riders yesterday. You never see that with running.

Cheers

2006-12-18 1:34 PM

User image

I ride the route Mark rode all the time, so my comments come from knowing exactly the conditions he's talking about, and I'll bet I know the left hand turn he's talking about.

1.  First off - that is a TOUGH ride to have as your first group ride.  This ride has a good 2-3000 feet of climbing in it, and a fast downhill.  I would suggest getting more group rides in on flat terrain to build up your confidence.  Really, I have to emphasize that this is a tough route to ride in a group.

2.  Waiting. -  As a Clydesdale, I know quite well the feeling of others' having to wait.  Seriously, I've been riding in PV for two years now.  At the toop of the switchbacks I have gone from last to third to last, but people still have to wait, and now I wait for others.  It's all part of the "group ride" dynamic.  I think it's great that others waited for you.  The longer you ride with the group, and the stronger you get, the less they will have to wait. 

It made me uncomfortable too at first.  Now I appreciate it, but I also understand when people don't.  Unless I have to be somewhere, I absolutely 100% do not mind waiting, or stopping for a flat.

I also understand wanting more rest.  The grop dynamic will either (1) make you stop riding with them (maybe it is too advanced a group and is not appropriate) or (2) work your a$$ off so get you get dropped furtyher each time.  My approach was the latter.  My first "group ride" consisted of a warm up then a tradition hammer fest sprint, I got dropped 5 miles into the ride.  That's how some groups work.

3.  Left turns - Yes, IMHO you should turn from the left lane, but if you prefer crosswalks by all means use that.  I think you'll get comfortable doing left turns if you do it safely.  Several hundred yards before the turn, start looking at traffic.  There should be a nice break to get into the left lane.  If not, then use the crosswalk.

I think the particulat left turn that you are talking about is at the base of PV East?  It's the bottom of a long downhill and cars come fast, but it's not super heavy traffic, but there are breaks allowing you to get over.

Sounds too me like this wasn't a merge but people at the bottom, at a complete stop, trying to get into the left turn lane.  That's a fustercluck.

4. The downhill - This is a two lane twisty downhill, lots of trees on either side. If you are uncomfortable going downhill, this isn't the place to be.  I am fairly comfortable on this road but there are times when I do get nervous.  I make it a habit (on all downhills) to make sure I know if there is traffic behind me.   If there is, I slow and stay as far to the right as is safe, sometimes I give them a wave as if to say "It's ok, come pass me now."

Some people are nice.  Some people are a-holes.  I don't think I've been on a ride recently where someone didn't honk at someone in our group (I even got a "biker fag" yell as I was changing a tire in PV Sat --that's rare)

5.  Speed - yes, I started at 25 being fast, then 30, then 35, etc.  I also don't go as fast as others, but you do get used to it and more confident.

I'd say find another group in some flats and get some group experience.  In my opinion, it's a LOT safer than riding on your own.

Chris

2006-12-18 2:03 PM
in reply to: #627068

User image

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
Chris -- you hit the nail on the head.

I actually though didn't mind the ride up at all. I am decent at climbing and was not back of the pack for that. Flats and especially downhills are areas I am in trouble.

The downhill portion seemed very unsafe to me and I didn't feel comfortable. There is no way to bike in the desginated bike lane. It is only about 6 inches wide and littered with debris. I was so focused on getting down that I probably did cause the cars to back up a bit. The way that one guy acted, you would have thought I broke into his house and stole his valuables.

Yep, that was the left hand turn lane. The issue with it, is that there is a right hand turn lane, a straight lane and a left lane and tons of cars.

I am not very good at turning my head backwards to anticipate what is happening. And I didn't want to veer into between cars, so I went to the crosswalk. At that point, I would have been content walking home.

The sad part of it was that it was a gorgeous day and the ride up was perfect. Part of me though wanted to take in the scenery instead of hammer by it Is that so wrong?!

Cheers
2006-12-18 2:41 PM

User image

Not at all, I am firmly of the opinion that not EVERY ride needs to be a hammer session.  Unfortunately, many group rides end up being that way since someone always wants to do a sprint off the front, and I think we're hard wired to take off after the sprinters like lions on the Kalahari

For the record, I wasn't even aware there was a bike lane coming down city side on PV East.  Although there is a sign there that says "Not Suitable for Bicycles"

2006-12-18 2:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Tucson, AZ
How long have you been riding? Maybe you just need some more miles to be more comfortable.

2006-12-18 2:56 PM

User image

Master
San Mateo, CA
If everyone in the group shared the knowledge that it was a no-drop ride with frequent regroups, then I'm sure that the fact they waited for everyone to catch-up isn't a big deal to the larger group.   Afterall, if folks didn't care to wait, then they always have a choice to find a faster group ride, right?  Sounds like you found a pretty good group to ride with.
2006-12-18 3:31 PM
in reply to: #627160

User image

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
betyoursilver - 2006-12-18 12:56 PM

If everyone in the group shared the knowledge that it was a no-drop ride with frequent regroups, then I'm sure that the fact they waited for everyone to catch-up isn't a big deal to the larger group.   Afterall, if folks didn't care to wait, then they always have a choice to find a faster group ride, right?  Sounds like you found a pretty good group to ride with.

Well, the problem with them waiting is that once I got there, they wanted to me to keep going when I needed rest as well. I never got to really rest.

Reflecting on the day, the real frustrating part was the downhill portion with no bike lane. It left me in a foul mood about everything. The good bikers were able to go as fast as traffic so it wasn't a problem for them.

Funny how in the moment it seemed horrible, but looking back it wasn't that bad. The mind can play tricks like that.

Cheers
2006-12-18 3:37 PM
in reply to: #627154

User image

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
Carl Carlson - 2006-12-18 12:52 PM

How long have you been riding? Maybe you just need some more miles to be more comfortable.

Carl (one of my faves from the Simpson's) --

I really don't know if time will get me comfortable going downhill. I have an internal break mechanism in my head. It relays this message anytime I go faster than 30mph that I better slow the f*^$ down or you will die. I can't turn off that mechanism. I have skied many years and I faced the same exact issue. Others go crazy down the hill and don't care if they get in an accident.

And a bike to me is 100x worse. Most ski falls just result in hitting snow. A bike accident involves pavement if you are lucky and a car if you aren't.

I am not giving up. I haven't decided though if I will continue group rides or do the solo route on dedicated bike routes.

Cheers
2006-12-18 3:54 PM

User image

Elite

Hey Mark,
Everyone has been giving you some very good advice.  And I think you're keeping a good attitude towards improvement.

Here's my 2 cents....

I teach a course for IPMBA (international police mountain bike association).  We start at the very basics.  The key points to riding in traffic safely is to be Predictable, Conspicuous, and ride like you're a vehicle, because you are.

In my profession I investigate a lot of Car vs. Bike fatalities.  Its almost always the same scenario, inexperienced cyclist, inappropriate gear (wearing all black at dusk w/ no lights).  You have to be sure of yourself and your skills if you're going to ride in traffic or around other, more experienced riders.  How do you get experience?  Just as you have been.  Join friendly group rides.  Take your time and slowly and surely get over your fear of speed and vehicle traffic.  

The safest cyclist in traffic is one who rides WITH and LIKE other vehicles.

Be safe! 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bad Group Ride Experience Rss Feed  

of 3