General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I crazy to try a half-mary? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-12-19 2:29 PM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: Am I crazy to try a half-mary?
I have been running for about six months now and have enjoyed myself, injury free. I've not currently ran more than 4 miles at a time, but feel good when I do those four miles.

I want to participate in the 3M Half-marathon on January 28th, a mere six weeks away. I found a 9-week training program on the web. Can I slim down the 9-week program into 6 weeks (mostly by erasing 3 duplicate weeks) and give the half-marathon a try? I am completely okay with walking when I need to. Also, the race is described as "downhill". The time limit is 4 hours. I am a fast walker by nature and naturally walk fast, although I am sure that over the course I will get tired.

I think I can do this with a mix of running and walking. I guess my questions for you all really is am I setting myself up for failure and injury? Would you try it, if you were in my situation?

My goal is to finish. So, the theory of "Hey, just try it and quit after 9 miles" isn't the scenario I am looking for.

Thoughts? Thanks!

2006-12-19 2:41 PM
in reply to: #628246

User image

Runner
Subject: RE: Am I crazy to try a half-mary?
Yes you are crazy. No, if I were you, I wouldn't do it.
Longest run of 4 miles, you need to more than triple that in the next six weeks. Is it possible? Yes. Is it possible to do without injury or long-term problems? Yes. Is it worth the gamble? NO!

There are other races. If you're gonna pay to go run, you want to make sure you get something out of it.
2006-12-19 2:46 PM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, MO
While I wouldn't recommend it, it COULD be done. I would keep your weekly run distances the same and concentrate on getting your "long" runs up to 10 miles. Here's what I do for the long runs:

this week (week 1): long run of 6 miles
week 2: long run of 6 miles
week 3: 7
week 4: 8
week 5: 9
week 6: 10 (unless this is race weekend)

Your goal is most likely going to be getting your body used to longer distance, without overdoing it between now and then.

I wouldn't try anything fancy like speedwork, fartleks, etc. Listen VERY carefully to your body and at the first sign of injury, back off. I would recommend walking through the aid stations at your race. You will be less apt to spill, and you can "rest" a bit by walking swiftly. I walked the aid stations in my first 1/2 and did fine. Good luck and keep us posted on your training!
2006-12-19 2:49 PM

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
I would really make sure that if you do it, that you incorporate the run/walk the whole race so that you dont injure yourself. Otherwise, my advice would be to pick one a month or two later and you should be able to handle it
2006-12-19 2:52 PM

User image

Master
Portland, OR

I did my first half marathon with no training.  (Shock, surprise, I know...it's how I get into new things, I just do it.)  However, I HURT the next week and the race was not very fun for me.  The first 6 miles were fantastic!  You can do anything on adrenaline...for a while.  But the last 7.1 were awful.  I wanted to throw up at the end.  I crossed the finish line, snatched my medal from the poor innocent volunteer, hobbled to my car, drove home and slept for the next 48 hours.

The next year I did the same race but this time I was fully trained for it, cut 33 minutes off of my PR and felt fantastic the entire race!  I even stuck around after for the food and music.  It was actually a lot of fun!

So, you CAN do a half mary with a four mile base.  I just don't think you would enjoy it as much or know what your body is going to do at miles 9, 10, and 11.  (Those are the toughest for me.)  In the profound (and mostly profane) words of Chris Rock, "Just because you can drive with your feet doesn't make it a good idea."

My $.02.  (Who are we kidding?  That was a good buck fifty!)

Sharon 

2006-12-19 2:57 PM
in reply to: #628265

User image

Master
Portland, OR

jcdenton2000 - 2006-12-19 12:46 PM While I wouldn't recommend it, it COULD be done. I would keep your weekly run distances the same and concentrate on getting your "long" runs up to 10 miles. Here's what I do for the long runs: this week (week 1): long run of 6 miles week 2: long run of 6 miles week 3: 7 week 4: 8 week 5: 9 week 6: 10 (unless this is race weekend) Your goal is most likely going to be getting your body used to longer distance, without overdoing it between now and then. I wouldn't try anything fancy like speedwork, fartleks, etc. Listen VERY carefully to your body and at the first sign of injury, back off. I would recommend walking through the aid stations at your race. You will be less apt to spill, and you can "rest" a bit by walking swiftly. I walked the aid stations in my first 1/2 and did fine. Good luck and keep us posted on your training!

The only concern I have with this kind of schedule is there is no taper. So your risk of injury or bonking during the race increases. Your nutrition plan could help with this, however. You could do race caps or extra Gu the last few miles to "turbo in".

I still think you'd have a better race if you gave yourself 10-12 weeks.

Sharon

Edited by elektra 2006-12-19 2:59 PM

2006-12-19 3:01 PM
in reply to: #628286

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
I knew I was asking the right group of people. Thanks for the well thought out answers and suggestions.

My impetus is more to do this particular race, and not just a half-mary. I was looking for a relay partner and it wasn't looking good, so I starting formulating this plan (which did include a taper, incidentally).

However, looks like I found a relay partner. I knew that if I finally gave in and asked around for advice, it would all fall into place.

Now I am excited about the prospect of a longer race and will begin training in a more reasonable way. I still need to get myself to the 6+ miles, so it's not like I don't have work to do. Now, I will look for a 10K training plan to get me over the hump. Thanks again!
2006-12-20 5:57 AM

User image

Elite
Chicago, IL
the one good thing about running, is that you can always walk

I know this is not the attitude of most people, but it is with me.

I never turn down a good race... even if I think it's quite a challenge.

I think you could do the race. I would focus on smaller miles during the week, and then get a long run in every weekend from here on out. Your longest long run can be 10 miles, and I think you'd still finish fine. The weekend before the race, don't do a long, but maybe a 6-8 mile run. With a 1/2 marathon, you don't need to taper like you do for a marathon... the weekend before the race, just do a shorter run.

I did my first 1/2 marathon in the fall following the summer I started running. Granted I did do the full range training plan, but I know when I started my longest race has been a 10K.

Personally, I'd go for it. Run at your own pace, walk through the water stops if you have to, and you'll be fine.

Granted, I'll probably get slammed for this post... but it's simply my opinion

Edited by pigfinn 2006-12-20 5:58 AM
2006-12-20 11:58 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-12-20 1:02 PM

Runner
To clarify my original point...

What are your goals? To just do this race to finish it? If so, then I'm sure you could probably do so. You might walk a fair amount of it, but you could probably finish (assuming a high enough cut-off time, if there is one).

If you want to actually attempt to race this, then no, I don't think it's advisable, you won't be physically ready. You may be able to, and not suffer any negative effects, but I wouldn't bet on those chances.

I guess my standpoint comes from a more competitive background. Not that I ever win anything, but if I'm paying for the race, I'm going to race.
2006-12-20 1:09 PM
in reply to: #629200

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
The cut-off is four hours and my goal is to participate and finish (not race). I would be traveling to Austin from MN, so this is a decision I needed to make fairly soon.

In any event, I'm doing the relay instead. I only have to do 6.4 or 6.7 miles, which I know I can do.

Thanks again..

2006-12-20 1:16 PM

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I'm doing my first half in early March, preparing following the Galloway run/walk novice plan, which basically adds a mile a week for 17 weeks up to 14 miles two weeks prior to the race.  I'm certainly no speed demon, but doing the run/walk thing is letting me cover distances I've never attempted before.  My primary goal is to finish, but based on my training times I should come in around 3:00 to 3:15.  I'll take that for my first attempt.

Mark

2006-12-20 8:00 PM

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
You did not mention the important factor. does the race have a finisher's medal? if yes then do it if not then do not do it. Simple as that. . ok that was 1/2 a joke.

good to be better trained but you could do it but if you did you would need to take it slow and do not be afraid to take all the time.
2006-12-21 7:09 AM
in reply to: #629779

Elite
Chicago, IL
chirunner134 - 2006-12-20 8:00 PM

You did not mention the important factor. does the race have a finisher's medal? if yes then do it if not then do not do it. Simple as that. . ok that was 1/2 a joke.

good to be better trained but you could do it but if you did you would need to take it slow and do not be afraid to take all the time.

hey don't knock it... medal or no medal is a significant factor on whether I do a race, LOL!! ... although I have yet to see a 1/2 marathon without a medal... that would suck.

I have a WHOLE bunch of medals, and I love each one of them
2006-12-21 12:13 PM
in reply to: #629999

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
pigfinn - 2006-12-21 7:09 AM

chirunner134 - 2006-12-20 8:00 PM

hey don't knock it... medal or no medal is a significant factor on whether I do a race, LOL!! ... although I have yet to see a 1/2 marathon without a medal... that would suck.

I have a WHOLE bunch of medals, and I love each one of them

I am the oringal medal ****. when people ask me why did I get into tris its because of the medals. I started at a runner but I really only do halves and above. 3 halves I have done with no medals 4 really but I placed in my A/G so I did not miss out on a medal that time.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I crazy to try a half-mary? Rss Feed