Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2006-12-21 8:41 AM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Subject: Birkierunner's Group - FULL
Name: Birkierunner (Jim)

Story: I’m a 45 (46 in Jan) year old wildlife biologist that has been involved with endurance sports for nearly 30 years.  I started out with the x-c ski team in high school.  Part of the preparation for the ski season was running.  I was so self-conscious about my lack of running experience that I waited until dark to run outside so that no one could see me.  3 years later and I was captain or co-captain of the x-c team, ski team, and track team. So, I’m proof that you can go from zero experience to being competitive.  

I didn’t run or ski in college until my senior year (too busy) and after graduating and going to grad school spent many years just doing maintenance running mileage with no racing goals in mind – I basically wasted my 20s and 30s as far as competing.  A friend of mine convinced me to race the 51 km American Birkebeiner x-c ski race in 1997 and that is when my endurance journey kicked back into high gear.  I ran my first marathon in 1998, and qualified for and ran Boston in 1999.  I’ve done 10 marathons, with 8 of them being sub-3 hours (2:51 PR).  I still race x-c skiing in the winter.

I got a little bored with marathons, and a few guys in our training group started doing triathlons.  I did my first triathlon (Olympic) in 2005 (actually podium-ed in my AG on the first try!).  I followed that up with a half-ironman and an off-road tri that summer.  In 2006 I raced several Olympic distance tris (2:07 PR, 2 AG podiums), one half-iron (4:46) and finished the season with IM Wisconsin.  I came down with a cold a couple days before the race and finished with an 11:32 – an hour longer than my goal finish time. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/races-list.asp?memberid=17529   

Family: Married; no kids; 3 dogs

Training: Other than high school, I’ve been self-coached for my entire endurance career.  However, for IM Wisconsin I did purchase a pre-packaged training plan from an online coach.  My goals for 2007 are to go sub 4:30 at the Spirit of Racine half-iron and to qualify for Kona at IM WI with another attempt at sub 10:30.  My ultimate IM goal is sub 9:30.  I currently race with a Trek 2300 road bike (hope to change that!!) converted for triathlons and I recently started bike training with an Ergomo Pro powermeter. I wear a HR monitor for many of my workouts, but after 30 years I’ve learned to listen to my body and use the HR info more for confirmation/general interest.  I love to put in a lot of hours for IM training, but I think I need to focus more on intensity for my upcoming IM WI preparation. I’ll probably keep it in the 15-20 hour/week range this summer.  Swimming is the limiter that I need to work on this winter/spring.  Ironman races will be my focus for the foreseeable future. Although, I will still attempt a sub 2:40 stand-alone marathon before I get too much older.

Weight loss:  This has never been an issue for me, other than putting on a couple “ice cream pounds” after a racing season.

Philosophy:  If you need someone to motivate you to get off the couch and run out the door…I’m definitely NOT the mentor for you.  If you have aggressive goals but don’t know where to start, I’ll try to share some of my experience with you. Welcome to BT!

Edited by Birkierunner 2006-12-26 12:39 PM

2006-12-24 8:50 AM
in reply to: #630115

Champion
No excuses!
Subject: RE: Birkierunner's Group - OPEN
I want in

Story: 31, Married, 1 Boy 11 months Always been very active. Started running around 20 and have been ever since. Started doing marathons in 98 and have done 17 of them including 2 Bostons. I was always fairly competitive in local races as long as "everyone didn't show up" but like Birkie kind of need a new challenge.

In January we had our first child and I have basically taken the last year "off". Sure I have run about 20 races and did about 10 time trial style bike races but nothing serious or trained for.

So now needing a new challenge I am going to do the Redman Iron Distance in Oklahoma City on Sept. 22, 2007. I want to come back in a big way with a big challenge. This will be my first year of tris.

I hired a swim coach and am feeling really good about how the swimming is progressing. But I feel a little overwelmed about everything. Doing a iron distance just to finish is not my thing. My first marathon I did I wanted to qualify for Boston and everyone told me I was crazy. Missed it but qualified 3 months later on my second try. So I want to be smart but also aggressive in my training. I am still looking for a plan that will work with my schedule. I am self employed so I have flexibility but with a little guy at home morning training seems to work best and so I end up training alone most of the time.

So to wrap this up for now I know I am rambling, I hoping for answers to questions as they come up and plan advice. I have looked at a lot of different plans and books and have talked to coaches but have yet to decide which route to go.

Also looking to drop some loot on a tri-bike( only have a road bike now) and wow that is another can of worms!!

Thanks!
2006-12-24 6:15 PM

User image

New user

Charlotte, NC
I want your help...
I am looking for a mentor that can help me push beyond what I am used to--I am interested in your training methods and incorporating them with my own.

My story: I am 19, and have always been extremely active (maybe a little too daredevilish). I love endurance races but I don't have much experience in how to train for them. I feel in love with endurance racing at the 46K marker of the Birkebeiner last year (when I had an emotional breakdown). It was amazing. Since then I have done a few other x-c ski races, numerous 5Ks, a sprint distance triatholon and an 8K but I really want to go the DISTANCE.

My goal is to complete a half distance ironman May 5th. I haven't set a goal finishing time yet.

Let me know if you can help! Thanks,

Sarah
2006-12-24 10:31 PM

User image

Pro
Mike and Sarah, Glad to have you on board!!  Just checking in before I put out milk and cookies for Santa.  Merry Christmas - I'll touch bases tomorrow.
2006-12-25 7:10 PM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI
I want in too!
I have BIG gaols for this year and so hyped about them

I am 34 married and a mom to 5 yo triplets (ugh- I know).
I love to race and I am someone who likes to do well. This has been my first year of racing and I have come along way- and wasnt too bad to begin with. I will admit I get kind of a big head sometimes and need to be put in my plcae (which usually happens )

My goals for this year are
half marathon - Cellcom Green Bay May 20th
half IM - High Cliff June 24th
Marathon??? maybe lakefront or Chicago
top 3 in my AG for a sprint tri
a sub 22 5K... I am SOOOO close to this one
AND.... a new tri bike (fingers are crossed)

I just had a lesson from an awesome swim coach- my swimming is my big downfall- it has seemed to help_ I just need to put the time in.

Oh and I am from WI!! West Bend.

Thanks!

Tammy

2006-12-25 9:23 PM
in reply to: #632937

User image

Pro

Hi Tammy

You're in !!  It looks like you've done a great job of keeping your training log up to date.  I'm going to take a look at your past race results to get a feel for where you are right now.  From there, we can talk some more about your goals for '07, especially the half iron and half marathon.  You might want to start mentally ranking your goal races as far as most important (A race) to least important (C races).  I look forward to working with you! 

Jim K.

2006-12-25 10:36 PM

Champion
No excuses!
For me I am totally focusing on Redman Iron Distance Sept. 22. That is my A race all the way. I have a few road races 10mi, half marathon and 25k I will race in April and May and then shorter tris will start up in June. I am thinking two half IM's one in July and then Steelhead in August with the plan of somewhere sub 5:00 there.

As far as a Redman goal I have no idea. If all the training goes as planned and the 25 pounds of "baby weight come off" and stay injury free I hope the sky is the limit.
2006-12-26 10:01 AM

New user

Please sign me up! I'm looking for a mentor who can help me put together a program and answer my numerous questions!

I'm as new as they come to the sport. I've been lurking around this site for a few weeks and realized I really don't where to begin when it comes to triathlete training. At this point, I'm not even able to read the program charts. In addition, I don't have a fitness log created.

I'm not starting from scratch from a fitness perspective. I work out with weights 2-3 times a week and I do some form of cardio (usually running) 4-5 times a week. I'm seeking to raise the bar, hence my interest in cross-training. My biking is rusty, but I like to swim. My goal is to participate in a sprint distance event by fall.

About me: I'm a 40 year old woman, wrapping up a very amicable divorce. I've got a great 2 year old boy and a lovely English Setter, both who keep me on my pace!

Thanks for taking us on!

-- Melinda

2006-12-26 10:47 AM
in reply to: #633149

User image

Pro

Hi Melinda!

You are now #4 in our group - Welcome.  Besides, how could I turn down a fellow English setter owner? (we also have 2 black Labs).  The BT site has a tremendous wealth of information to help you get started, so I see my job as simply pointing you in the right direction so you don't waste a lot of time.  A sprint distance by fall is VERY do-able considering you're already running 4-5 times/week.

Getting your log started is the first chore we need for you to do.  Simply check out this link and follow the directions for the training log (item 3): http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=327

Before we go much further I'd like to know a little more about where your fitness is right now.  You can either post answers to these here, or PM me if you would rather do it that way. How much did you bike this past summer/fall? What type of bike do you have?  Sounds like you like to swim - how often do you swim and how much?  Have you done any running races (5k or 10 k) lately and what was your time?  Once we get a feel for your baseline, we can pick out a sprint program for you - the BT site has pre-packaged plans.  To that end, it would be good to review this article also: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=19

I look forward to working with you!

2006-12-26 11:01 AM

Madison, WI
I would love to get in on this group. A little history about me....

Age - 36, Single
I live in Madison, WI
5'11" 170#

I used to be athletic when I was younger. I used to be a huge biker. I had gotten woefully out of shape around 18 and into my 30's. It wasn't until about 2 years ago when I looked at myself and couldn't believe where I was at. I weighed 325 and couldn't run around the block. I started eating better and exercising. The weight started coming off. I wanted to lose more weight and get in better shape and one of my friends who is a high school cross country coach suggested running. He got me into a great beginner program. I had doubts as I have had knee surgery before and they have never been great. I put that out of my mind and tried to be positive and just focus on what CAN be accomplished and forget about the stuff out of my control.

I started running about 16 - 18 months ago. I ran my first 5k in Dec 05. Since then, I have run 2 1/2 marathons and 1 full. I have gotten back into biking and I am loving it. I did some long rides this past summer. I started thinking about new challenges. I did a sprint tri last summer and had a great time. I thought that this may be just the thing I need. I have a very full calendar for the coming year. I will do 2 HIM's and 2 full marathons. My first HIM is Ironman CA March 31. I also would like to do Ironman MI.

I just need a little guidance for some training things. I certainly have the drive and ambition to train. In fact, training is my favorite part. I almost decided to not run marathons again becuase I HATE the taper. I know it helped but I hated going from 50 mpw down to less than 20.

Anyway, that's a rambling unfocused little thing about me. I certainly need a little direction in Tri training.
2006-12-26 12:58 PM
in reply to: #633215

User image

Pro

MSIronman...you're in!  And, we now have 5 in the group.  Including myself, Tammy (tripletmom01), and yourself that makes 3 from Wisconsin - not enough to call ourselves Team Wisconsin.  Sarah (Speedy Chica) is from NC, so in the spring she will be bragging about her bike rides in warm temps as we are still bundled up here in WI.  Mike (Shermbelle) and Melinda (BeStill), where are you from ?

MSIronman, it sounds like you have an ambitious year planned with 2 HIM and 2 marathons.  By Ironman MI do you mean Steelhead?  What are the 2 marathons you plan on?   As I've asked others in previous posts, it would help if you could send me some recent race results so that I know where you're at right now.  You can either respond here, send me a PM, or fill out the races in the race results section of your blog - that might be best because then I can see how your splits stack up in your AG.

I was going to wait until we had a full group before I start posting much more on approaches to training, etc.  I've been putting together my intro in my head during training runs but haven't put pen/mind to paper yet.  Its coming soon.  I have some PM's in my inbox that I will get to to answer your questions.

One thing I can say up front is that although I'm not a coach, and don't pretend to be one, didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, etc. etc., I know that I can help point each of you in the right direction, or at least be able to answer questions for you.  If I don't know the answers I'll be able to find them quickly.  I'm really excited about helping each of you reach your goals for 2007.  This is going to be a blast!

2006-12-26 1:14 PM

New user

Subject: RE: Birkierunner's Group - FULL
I'm from Lawrence, KS.
2006-12-26 1:23 PM
in reply to: #633288

User image

Pro
BeStill - 2006-12-26 1:14 PM I'm from Lawrence, KS.
So that means come July and August we'll be reading your posts on how HOT it is there! Just sent you a PM on bikes.

Edited by Birkierunner 2006-12-26 1:25 PM
2006-12-26 1:26 PM

New user

Or how dark, since I'll have to train before the sun comes up to avoid heat stroke!
2006-12-27 7:54 AM

Madison, WI
I do mean Steelhead. I want to see how the HIM's go this year and if it all goes according to plan, I mean to do the full IM WI in 08. I will be running in the Mad City Marathon on May 27th. It's a quick turnaround from Ironman CA, but I am sure that I can do it. I am unsure of my second marathon. I just want to run a fall marathon. Maybe the Milwaukee or the Twin Cities marathon. I don't think I will run Chicago again. It was incredible but it was so crowded. I didn't get ANY running room until mile 15.

My last 3 races

Dec 9 2006 10k - 50:27
Nov 23 2006 10k - 50:45
October 29 2006 - Marathon - 4:07

I've got a race on New Year's. It's either a 5 mile or a 10k. I've been trying to break 50 in my last 2 10K's. I am almost there. I know if I have a good day, I can do it. I haven't done any bike races in forever. I ride my bike, but I don't enter any races.

I am really looking forward to this year as well. I will probably do a bunch of smaller races as well, just various 5k, 10k, and Half Marathon's. Should be a great year!
2006-12-27 8:28 AM
in reply to: #633758

User image

Pro

MSIronman - do you mind if I ask your first name?  Just easier to type.

Sounds like you've built a solid running background.  If you take your recent 10k times and look up your VDOT value (a measure related to your aerobic profile involving lactate threshold and VO2max) in Daniels' Running Formula book you get a VDOT of about 39.  Using the same VDOT table, a value of 39 would predict a 3:55 marathon, which is not too far off from your actual performance this past October.  Having this information is extremely valuable in developing your 2007 program. Using your VDOT value I can help you set up your run training intensities (if you don't already have Daniels' book).

As for a fall marathon, I can highly recommend Twin Cities (I've done it 3 times).  It sells out quickly so be sure to visit the race website and be aware of when registration opens.  Balancing 2 HIM and 2 marathons in a season can get tricky, so we will need to discuss what your priorities are for the season.

Regarding IM WI 2008, you have the advantage of living in Madison. You can go on site the Monday following the 2007 race (Monday is Sept. 10) and register without having to hassle with registering online and possibly getting shut out.

2006-12-27 8:31 AM

User image

Pro

OK folks, the holidays can get hectic and everyone is busy, but let's get some momentum going as we head into the New Year.  I still need to jot down some general thoughts on endurance training.  But, until then feel free to shoot me any questions you might have. 

Remember, the only stupid questions are the ones that never get asked........

2006-12-27 9:21 AM

Madison, WI
It's Tom.

I do like to run. I had never heard of VDOT before but it's funny you should mention that. I went out in Chicago with the 3:45 pace group. I had no problems at all. For the first 17 miles I was cruising with 8:30's. I felt great. I then cramped completely from the waist down. Pain was shooting up and down my legs. I then realized that my mouth was completely dry and I wasn't sweating. Oops. It was 40 and sunny so I didn't feel hot at all. I realized that I had been skipping water stops and only drinking a few sips from a cup when I ran through. I completely screwed up my hydration. I wanted to quit, but that wasn't really an option. At mile 22 I still had the fantasy that I could finish in under 4, but I knew I couldn't run any 9 min miles at that point. So I downshifted into survival mode and came in with 11 min miles. Each step that last 8-9 miles was agony, but I made it. In the end, I was very happy with my 4:07. Lesson learned. I am sure I have a sub 4 hour marathon in my legs... Next time.

I don't really have any books. I do a lot of reading online. I would take any reading recommendations you have. You can never have enough knowledge. I am concerned about balance too. I only have 8 weeks between Ironman CA and the Mad City marathon. That could be a very difficult turnaround. But I'm going to give it my best shot.

Ironman CA -B
MadCity Marathon -C
Steelhead - A
Fall Marathon - B

Those are how I feel about my race priorities. If the turnaround between CA and MCM is too hard, I may not do the Fall Marathon as the turnaround time is exactly the same (8 weeks).

Edited by MSIronman 2006-12-27 9:22 AM
2006-12-27 9:41 AM
in reply to: #633838

User image

Pro

MSIronman - 2006-12-27 9:21 AM It's Tom.

Ah, much faster to type "Tom".

I would take any reading recommendations you have. You can never have enough knowledge.

I'll be putting together some "suggested reading" in my training summary post, but until then I would highly highly highly recommend you visit Gordo Byrns site and read his articles in the gTips section http://www.coachgordo.com/gtips/index.html.  Most of these are geared towards Ironman racing, so you and Shermbelle should get some good tidbits from the articles.  Sarah, Melinda, and Tammy...I'll point out some good articles on Gordo's site, as well as other sites, that will apply to all triathlon training, regardless of race length.

I am concerned about balance too. I only have 8 weeks between Ironman CA and the Mad City marathon. That could be a very difficult turnaround. But I'm going to give it my best shot. Ironman CA -B MadCity Marathon -C Steelhead - A Fall Marathon - B Those are how I feel about my race priorities. If the turnaround between CA and MCM is too hard, I may not do the Fall Marathon as the turnaround time is exactly the same (8 weeks).

Actually, I'm a little more concerned about the turnaround time between MadCity and your A race at Steelhead.  Although MadCity is a C race it will still take recovery time and then buildup to Steelhead.  Have you already registered for MadCity?  Steelhead registration is open now, but I don't know how quickly it fills up. 

2006-12-27 9:56 AM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI
OK- I have a running problem I really need to fix but I am not sure how and am not positive I know exactly why this is happening....
When I go for a run- just about any distance but for example I ran 6.3 last week. Mile 1 was like a 7:05 pace- I tend to go out a little fast (thats just how I run) felt fine, then I get to miles 3 and 4 and I am at like a 7:40 pace (way to slow for me) and it is hard then at about mile 3.5 I am fast again and doing 7:10ish pace..... which is where I feel comfortable and can carry through the rest of my run (I could probaly pull this through about 9 or 10 miles). I REALLY want to have a fast 5K time but how the heck can I when I slow down after mile 1?? Do I need to do a really hard warm up? And if I do will it last til the race starts? I have new years eve run with a lot of people that I want to beat and Id really like to PR. My fastest 5K in a race is 22:26.. I had a legit 5K split in a 10K that was 21:49 (which Id be happy with). Any ideas or words of wisdom???
Thanks again for doing this for us!!

Tammy
2006-12-27 11:00 AM
in reply to: #633886

User image

Pro

tripletmom01 - 2006-12-27 9:56 AM OK- I have a running problem I really need to fix but I am not sure how and am not positive I know exactly why this is happening....

OK young lady , in your introductory post you said you sometimes need to be put in your place, so get ready for some "tough love"

I've been looking through your logs and the words FAST and SMOKIN' are used quite often.  You're on a quest for a sub-22 5k.  Nothing wrong with that, and we'll get you there, but I can guarantee you won't get there by running FAST in every workout.  Based on your 5k PR, your threshold/tempo training runs should be done at about a 7:33/mile pace (you said a 7:40 pace is way too slow for you).  So, most of your workouts are being done likely at or faster than your lactate threshold if you are shooting for 7:00 or so.  There will be times when you will want to be at or slightly below your LT, but NOT for every run.  We need to have some longer runs done at a slower pace in order for you to recover from you more intense runs.  If you are always doing intensities too fast, day after day, your body will start to break down.

OK, I would suggest that we need to mix in some longer runs done at a slower pace - more like in the 9:00/mile range.  You're probably grimacing right now, slamming the keyboard, yelling "NO FREAKIN' WAY Jimbo....I can't stand to go that slow".  Trust me.  Your easy days need to be easy...ridiculously easy.....so easy you could fall asleep easy. Alright, I'm exaggerating but you get the point.

The likely reason you are slowing down after the first couple of miles is that you went out too fast (with no warmup), blood lactate built up - which forces your body to slow down.  Once you slow down your body can clear the lactate and then you will be able to pick up the pace again...which will likely be too fast and the cycle will repeat. You need to start out training runs slower and then ease into the target pace.

So, for your New Year's Eve race you need to have a proper warmup.  DO NOT do the entire warmup "really hard" as you suggest.  That will only build up lactate before the race even starts.  Starting about 30-45 minutes before the start do an easy 1-3 miles.  Then you should do several striders of about 100-150 yards in length.  Striders are done by gradually picking up the pace until you near the end of the 100-150 yards nearly sprinting, but don't get too carried away - keep good form when you're doing it.  Make sure you are warmed up before attempting the striders.  Finish up your warmup no more than 8-10 minutes prior to the race.  Otherwise you'll get cold and stiff.  A 5k race is tough because you're basically going hard the entire distance - its over before you know it.  A 22 minute 5k is running about a 7:05 pace, so don't over-do it in the first 1-2 miles or you'll pay for it in the last mile.  Let me know if you need any clarification on any of this.  Hope it helps. 

2006-12-27 7:59 PM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI
Oh I knew that was coming the dreaded SLOW word. I have heard it before and have ignored it mainly because I have made a lot of progress in my running since Sept . ( I got orthodics and could finally run pain free!) and if I am getting faster by running faster (and I like running fast why should I run slow?? So you promise it will help me??? Can I at least run fast the last mile of my long slow runs?
I think another reason I always try to run my best is I love to see the progress... every time I run a route it is faster then the last time. I do suspect this will end soon though, huh?

Thanks for putting me in my place though I need it!

Tammy
2006-12-27 9:39 PM
in reply to: #634743

User image

Pro

tripletmom01 - 2006-12-27 7:59 PM So you promise it will help me???

Promise

Can I at least run fast the last mile of my long slow runs?

Nope!!

I think another reason I always try to run my best is I love to see the progress... every time I run a route it is faster then the last time. I do suspect this will end soon though, huh? 

This is a classic example of why Arthur Lydiard (famous New Zealand coach) had beginner runners run by time not distance.  He found that if a runner ran a particular route all the time the runner would always try to run it faster than the time before, rather than doing the workout as it was originally planned.

Don't worry, we'll set up workouts where you can run FAST.  Good luck in your race.

2006-12-28 12:36 PM

Madison, WI
I second the running slow. Plus, the more you run, the faster you get.

Do you have a Heart Rate Monitor?

I run almost exclusively by heart rate. I've gone from running 11 min miles at 70% of my max heart rate to running sub 9 min miles at 70%.

My very first 10k was run this past April and I ran 55 min. My last 10k a couple of weeks ago was almost 50 min flat. Not as fast as you, but I'm getting there.
2006-12-28 12:59 PM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI
I just got a HR monitor for Christmas....I am trying to figure out what zones I should actually be running in??

Tammy
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Birkierunner's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 15