LifeShare
28F / -2C
Sunny
Total Time = 39m 5s
Overall Rank = 47/500
Age Group = 30-35
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I woke up around 7am, showered, shaved, and gave myself a Mr. Clean haircut. I didn't want my long locks slowing me down. Had a bowl of oatmeal, a couple of glasses of water, and a splenda diet coke. Left the house a drove to Bricktown (Downtown OKC). Once there, visited the porta potty 3x's before the race. Around 15 minutes before the start, I shed my warmup suit, leaving only the skin-tight underarmour.
Event warmup:

Yeah, right! I shivered to keep warm. I was shaking so bad on the last visit to the port-o-john, that my aim was not my normal "Top Gun" level. I really didn't know how I was gonna stack up with the other runners, so I just put myself in the middle of the pack.
Run
  • 39m 5s
  • 5.08 miles
  • 07m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

After the 1st mile, I settled into a pace of around 7:43/mile along with another guy. His goal was to run under 40 mins, so we stuck together the whole way, giving words of encouragement to each other. I would definitely do that again, as long as I could find someone that worked out as well.
What would you do differently?:

I never was passed after the 1st couple of hundred meters. However, I did alot of passing throughout the race. At a similar race, I would attempt to start closer to the front.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate a banana, drank a bottle of water, then headed into the tent for some black-eyed peas and cornbread (for those that don't know this tradition, it is supposed to bring you good luck in the New Year). No other warm-down, other that a couple of stretches.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I need to do some training at faster speeds. My LSD runs were at 10:30 pace a month ago. Now I do them at around 9:20. Still trying to find my limit. This was a new best pace for me. I don't believe I coulda gone much faster, maybe 15-20 seconds, I was pretty whupped.

Event comments:

I had a good time, exceeded my goals, and feel great! What else can I say:)

Last updated: 2007-01-01 12:00 AM
Running
00:39:05 | 05.08 miles | 07m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 47/500
Performance: Good
My pace started out around 7min/mile with a HR of 160. Once I got past most of the crowd, I throttled back a bit, since my goal was to beat an 8min/mile pace. HR climbed throughout the run, especially on the hills during the last 2 miles. During that portion, I was averaging around 192. I kicked the last half mile, and HR ranged between 202-205 to the finish
Course: The course was great! It was on a dedicated street lane for the 1st and last KM. The rest of the course was along the river trail, going past the crew house. They had 1 water station at mid-point, and at the finish of course. I took 1 glass, and swirled some water around my mouth trying to get the sticky stuff out. Spit it out, chunked the cup, and kept going.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-01-01 1:12 PM

Subject: Run For Your Life 8km

2007-01-01 6:39 PM
in reply to: #638387

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
Subject: RE: Run For Your Life 8km

Congratulations on the PR!!!!  Very cool!

I don't know if I could "do" black eye peas and cornbread after a race.  Hmmmmm? 

Great race!

2007-01-02 11:20 AM

User image

Master
Colorado
YOU ARE AMAZING!!!!  I'm so proud of you.  Mr. Morrison you are a HOT runner.
2007-01-02 12:47 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member
Nice run, bro.  Way to kick off the new year with some solid results.
2007-01-04 2:24 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Run For Your Life 8km Rss Feed