General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Paul Amey out of the Olympics Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-12 4:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Philadelphia, PA
Subject: Paul Amey out of the Olympics
Paul Amey out of the Olympics

2004 Olympian, Paul Amey crashed while training on the coast of Italy last Thursday smashing his pelvis, breaking it in three places. Amey will no longer be participating in the Olympic Games.

"I'm crushed and very sad", stated Amey.

"At first Paul actually felt ok. He just had the normal aches and pains that come with any crash,” said Scott Fairchild, Amey's agent. "In fact, he even got back on his bike and rode home with the help of a mate who pulled him back into town. It wasn't till the following day when Paul received an MRI at a local clinic that he was rushed to the hospital in fear of internal bleeding."

Amey is currently still in the hospital and is being told by doctors he'll be on his back for ‘at least a month’. Efforts are being made to fly Amey back to England but it is unclear if that is possible at this time. Doctors are saying it will be a couple months before he even walks on his own.

When asked of the crash Amey said, "We were just cruising down this hill -rather slowly actually- when my front wheel skipped over a small rock. It spun my handlebars on me and I thought I'd actually recovered in time but it flipped my weight over to the other side and I just slammed down onto the ground. My bike, clothes, and even skin are almost totally untouched. Aside from a few scratches I look fine and so does my bike. I just came down so hard on my hip."

Paul does hope to get back into training later this year and has his eye on early 2005 races like the Pucon Half Ironman and either Ironman Australia or Ironman New Zealand.

2004-08-12 4:28 PM
in reply to: #47057

Expert
Princeton, MN
Subject: RE: Paul Amey out of the Olympics
Looks like we Brits are heading for our usual disappointing Olympic medal showing. I had Amey down for a medal.
I was looking forward to having breakfast and watching him at the head of the field...

I just checked - that news isn't even on Paulamey.com yet!
Ian

Edited by lincsguyus 2004-08-12 4:30 PM
2004-08-12 4:32 PM

User image

Pro
Helena, MT
:-( That would just suck soooo much. Poor guy. Here's to a speedy recovery!
2004-08-12 5:10 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

Biking is dangerous. Our recent dicussions all over this board as well as my own miserable experiences prove it! Biking is really freakin' dangerous. Let's all be careful out there, guys! You don't have to be a Beginner Triathlete to crash hard & burn. Happens to all cyclists... we saw it all over the Tour... We see it right now with Paul Amey...Ugh. BE CAREFUL. It's the mid to end of the season, we've all been on our bikes for a couple of months straight now... Let's not get complacent! Cars can't see us (or don't care to!). We've all got to keep our eyes and ears open and not get too comfortable. If you're out by yourself, make sure you know how to change a tire, and DON'T HOP RIDES WITH STRANGERS no matter how non-threatening they seem. Watch the terrain, and if you see something in the roadway, point it out for the cyclists behind you (provided you're with someone else...)

Our sport is difficult by definition. It's also somewhat dangerous. Keep your heads up!

Off the soapbox! Go get 'em!

LW

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Paul Amey out of the Olympics Rss Feed