General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Advice -- first race ever (5K) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-14 8:58 AM

Veteran
Subject: Advice -- first race ever (5K)
Ok guys,

In about a month I have two 5Ks that I'd like to do. One is a charity race (Komen) and the other is a Y. I'm only covering about 2.5 miles right now...so I may have to walk part of it. I don't mind walking the Komen...but will it be embarassing to walk the other? (I'm thinking yes -- it will be pathetic) Should I drop the Y race and find a 5K in October when I'm sure I can do it?

Keriann

2004-08-14 9:18 AM
in reply to: #47772

User image

Extreme Veteran
Midcoast, Maine
Subject: RE: Advice -- first race ever (5K)
There is nothing wrong with doing a walk/run in a race. If you really think you can't do it you may want to consider entering the race as a walker and completing it race walk style, race walking is tough and nothing to be ashamed of. These first two races should be enjoyed so don't try to break any records just enjoy them and they can be a benchmark to improve upon with later races
2004-08-14 9:27 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
Smyrna, Georgia
Go for the race, even if you have to walk. The amazing thing about racing is that the adrenaline that surges through you usually makes it possible to go further than you could go normally. So, that adrenaline may help you run the last .6 miles that you're not used to running!

Good luck!
2004-08-14 11:01 AM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Two things.

One - start covering the distance you'll do in the 5K, even if you're walking the last .6 mile. Run/Walk is an OK way to cover the ground.

Two - Don't worry about walking, you'll see a lot of other people doing that, and if you don't, who cares? Everybody is focused on their own performance, they are not going to care if you are walking or not.

Note: If you think you're going to be slower, don't get right up in front at the start as the faster runners WILL be annoyed that they have to navigate around you.
2004-08-14 12:24 PM

First, if you are able to run 2.5 miles now, you should be able to complete 5K in a month. Just start increase you distance each week over the next 4 weeks. Also, you can try running just a tad bit slower and that should give you the ability to cover the last .6mi. You race day adreniline should also help give you the strength and endurance to get to the finish.

Enjoy the races, you will do fine!

2004-08-14 1:07 PM

Veteran
Thanks guys,

I was starting to chicken out.......I'm going to register for the race and give it my best...and if I have to walk.......I guess I'll suck it up. (And find a race in October that I can run the whole way through.)

Keriann

2004-08-14 1:50 PM
in reply to: #47808

User image

Master
Sonoma County, CA
keriann - 2004-08-14 1:07 PM
I was starting to chicken out.......I'm going to register for the race and give it my best...and if I have to walk.......I guess I'll suck it up. (And find a race in October that I can run the whole way through.)
Keriann

You said it right there...."give it my best"....that's all you can do and yes, like you said, keep on keeping on b/c it will get easier and you will get better over time

Good luck !

2004-08-14 11:38 PM
in reply to: #47808

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
keriann - 2004-08-14 11:07 AM

Thanks guys,

Keriann

I've done several 5Ks this year, and you should have NO problems. You're almost to that distance now! The crowd-energy should help motivate you to run the whole thing, with a couple of caveats:
1) Start out in the back of the pack initially. The speedsters get really annoyed having to move around the slower runners (like me). And stay to the right, so others can pass. For your first couple of races, you probably won't need to be in the front anyway. Just get used to the environments.
2) Try to run the route at least once before the race. That way, you'll know what to expect for hills and such, and you can spot any potential bottlenecks like sharp turns, narrow trails/bridges, where anything could happen.
3) Start the race slowly, you can always speed up later on. Take your HRM with you, if you have one, and use it like you would on a regular training run.
4) Talk to EVERYONE! 5k races are typically called 'fun runs', and for good reason. A lot of those people are just out there to have a good time, some will run hard, some will jog, some will walk. Check out all the tables/kiosks, talk to the volunteers and participants. Find out where the food and water is after the event, tell the massage people you'll be back!

For your first race, don't worry about the people sprinting for a warmup, don't stretch for 20 minutes, and don't overhydrate. Find the port-a-potties and go about 5-7 minutes before race time. Warmup lightly, stretch lightly, but just enjoy the reason you're out there (especially the Komen!) The atmosphere can be great, and you'll get a charge from being involved. This may carry you the rest of the distance alone!

The last, and most important thing, post your race result here, so we can enjoy with you!
2004-08-14 11:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonton, Alberta
I agree go for it and remember to have fun, You only get to do your 1st. race once so go have a ball.

And remember to thank the volunteers.

Roy
2004-08-15 9:08 AM

Veteran
Great advice! Thanks so much!!!

The Komen is actually my first ever race.....but I'm not concerned about it at all. I've quite proud of my pink tee-shirt and I'd do it on my hands and knees if I had to.

The Y is my worry. But I'll stay in the back --- as far right as I can -- and start slow. When I started in March, I couldn't make it up the block....I've come a long way!

I just got some butterflys when handing in the registration card.....thanks for not letting me chicken out!!!!

Keriann
2004-08-15 9:36 PM
in reply to: #47992

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
You'll do fine! The butterflies may come back on race day, but you'll learn how to turn it into positive energy. Remember, it's perfectly acceptable to stop at the water stations if you need to. Not all 5k races have them, but I think the Komen probably will. If you don't stop, pinch the top of the water cup, and then drink. You won't spill as much water that way. (Learned the hard way!)

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Advice -- first race ever (5K) Rss Feed