Sunny
Total Time = 2h 07m 53s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Ate a gu and 2 puffs on the inhaler.
Event warmup:

uhhh...no warm-up. Walked to start from the car, does that count?
Run
  • 2h 07m 53s
  • 10.2 miles
  • 12m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

We started out in "downtown" Helen and ran 3 miles to the base of the mountain. You could see it as you turned the corner and I knew this was the beginning of a very long uphill road. I had a pretty good pace for the first 3 miles as they were up hill but not up a mountain. After the first water stop we started the first of 2 two mile completely uphill (literally) climbs. Not doing this race before I had no idea what to expect or when a little break would come, either in the way of a flat section or downhill. I started thinking this was it...there were no downhills from here to the finish. Well I was wrong, but not by much. The second 2 mile climb was steeper than the first and by this time your legs were definitely feeling the burn. I have to admit I did stop and walk on this section of the race. It's a weird feeling to walk during a race and not feel bad about it. Looking back now, I wish I would have held on for a little while longer but I'll be back next year with new goals and new expectations. Around mile 9 the hills (on the mountain) got a little smaller and there were a couple flat sections and I could see the end. Literally through the trees you could look up and see the finish, well the cars that were parked at the finish. One last push up the final hill and I was done.
What would you do differently?:

Not give in to my mind telling me to walk.
Post race
Warm down:

10.2 mile drive back down the mountain. Thanks Jeannie for taking us back to the car. And then a walk to get some food and beer.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Did I mention the mountain we ran up? The course and my head were the only 2 things that keept me from running faster.

Last updated: 2007-01-22 12:00 AM
Running
02:07:53 | 10.2 miles | 12m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: Straight up a mountain. Windy country roads with national forest surrounding you on both sides.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-01-22 8:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Subject: Hogpen Hill Climb

2007-01-22 2:51 PM
in reply to: #663000

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: RE: Hogpen Hill Climb
Way to kill that course, and who cares if you had to walk a small amount. I bet 60+ percent of the field had to walk that monster at one point or another. Looks like the training we did for this was spot on. They way both you and Rivi finished, was inspiring. You both recovered so quickly and it was as if that 2500 foot ascent was all in a days work. The attitudes brought this day were exactly what will be needed at events down the road. Capture that attitude and feeling.  That's what winners are made of.
2007-01-22 3:03 PM

Master
Charlotte, NC

You're all NUTS!  NUTS I say!!!!

Congrats on the great run!  This looks crazy tough so mega kudos to you for finishing it in such a decent time!

2007-01-22 6:59 PM

User image

Veteran
What a great race! Can't wait to hear more about it. No shame in walking during a race. (It most likely helped get your HR back in check for a strong finish). So what now? Arden is going to seem pretty boring to you.

H.
2007-01-23 4:35 PM

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Congrats on a great race. I'm glad you had fun. I'm not sure I'd called trying to climb that mountain fun, so that's a huge mental bonus for you even if you did stop for a bit of a walk break.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hogpen Hill Climb Rss Feed