RRRC
30F / -1C
Sunny
Total Time = 57m 31s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up early, ate a bowl of oatmeal, drank some water, got my stuff together and left.
Event warmup:

I got to the race site and I felt a little concerned because there were no casual looking people there. There were no people wearing sweatshirts and ratty sweats. Everyone seemed to be in their GEAR and READY TO GO. It kind of struck me that for many of the slow people such as myself, the 8k distance might be either too far or too short to worry about. It looked like I was in with a bunch of fast 5k people. I was really hoping not to be in last place at the end of it all.
Run
  • 57m 31s
  • 4.3 miles
  • 13m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

This is the second race I have been in where I have been last and apparently forgotten. The first race the people actually were taking up the cones and it is a good damn thing I didn't get lost in the national forest I was biking in. This race, either the volunteers were gone already or the course marking wasn't that great.

Also it was really confusing because during one part of the race a giant herd of walkers came on the course... probably like 50 of them in a clump. They didn't have numbers and they were being directed around by a lady in tights and heart boxer shorts. Then there were a ton of people without numbers jogging the opposite direction on the course. This was all happening around where the turn off was, which may be why I didn't see it. It was like being in a weird Valentine's Day Parade nightmare.

Also, even though I was last I don't think I was going THAT slow. I mean yes, I was slow but it wasn't like I was going to take 3 hours to do it. Why wasn't there a person at the back with a walkie-talkie? I have been in the back twice and it pretty much sucks. Being last means that you don't count as a racer. If you can't see another racer, then you are pretty much guessing how the course goes. At least that is how it feels to me.
What would you do differently?:

Wear fancy tights and GEAR so that I would fit in and run fast and not be last.

I enjoyed my run and was glad I was wearing my Polar so I would know how far and how fast I really went. For the part I could control about the run, which is myself, I am happy. I ran farther than I have ever run in a racing situation and I feel like I did alright, especially since the course was hilly for me.
Post race
Warm down:

My sister came out and took a couple of pictures of me finishing the race. That was nice. Then we went to Wal-Mart and I helped her carry a big ass bag of dog food to the car because she is pregnant.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mostly my training.

I will blame the weird Valentine's Day Leprechaun and her entourage for messing with my head as well as the runners running the course the wrong way. Why were they there? What does it all mean? Does my life make sense or is this a metaphor for things to come?

Event comments:

I would say my run was good but this race was bad.

I did send an email to the event organizers who responded promptly. They forwarded my comments on to the RD so I feel better about it all now.

Last updated: 2007-02-01 12:00 AM
Running
00:57:31 | 04.3 miles | 13m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Mile 1 13:27 Mile 2 12:56 Mile 3 13:37 Mile 4 13:48 Mile 5 13:02 Ave HR 161 Max HR 173
Course: Within the first 1/4 mile there was a big ass hill. I ran up it (when several people walked) but by the time I got to the top I was in dead last. The course was slightly hilly. There were 2 short steep hills that I saw several people walking on. I would like to pat myself on the back here and say I didn't walk during the whole race. There was a part where you had to actually go off the sidewalk and go under an overpass to get to a loop of the race. At this point, about 1.5 miles in, I was in dead last by a goodly amount. I didn't see anyone in front of me but I saw them all on the loop. I missed the turn off and ran on the overpass. I ended up cutting off about 2/3 of a mile of my course and ended up right in the middle of the pack again, LOL. Well someone had to be last but it wasn't going to be me after all. I ran the rest of the way and ended up I think 2nd to last. I will be interested to see what the results come out as.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %0
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2007-02-10 1:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Sweetheart Run 8k

2007-02-10 2:52 PM
in reply to: #686335

User image

Regular
Columbus, OH
Subject: RE: Sweetheart Run 8k

It seems to me that when a race is being held, the course should be off limits to anyone other than those racing.  I also agree that a race volunteer should be taking up the rear so no racers are forgotten.  From experience, it really sucks when everyone leaves and you are still on the course.

But congrats to you for running up that hill!  And for running the entire race!  You must feel really good for doing that, almost last or not. 

I don't know about getting a flashy outfit and all the gear.  You'd just look like everyone else.  Ninja suits you just fine.  You rock, Doc! 

2007-02-10 3:11 PM

User image

Master
Sachse
Great job! And I agree...they should know that there are still runners on the course. There is no excuse for that. When I did the 13.1 in December, I passed tables with no water. haha.. I guess they thought the fat guy in the rear, didn't need any.

I am glad you had fun. That is what it is all about!

Kenny
2007-02-10 6:01 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Sounds to me like the race was not very well organized. Leaving runners out on the course is definitely not good form if you are an RD

FWIW: The 8k is pretty much a XC Geek Distance. (But becoming more popular) That probably explains the caliber of the crowd. (Was this a Club Race???)

It sounds like you handled yourself very well out there and had a good time in spite of the on course shenanigans. I am very glad that you enjoyed your run today and of course, that is what it is all about at the end of the day.

Outstanding effort out there and congratulations on a PR and a new distance in your racing experience.

Rest and Recover Well
2007-02-11 11:02 AM

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
Great job running on a cold day and in a race with questionable organization. I've been to pleanty of 8K's where people have finished in over an hour; seems odd that they packed up so quickly.
2007-02-11 3:16 PM

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio

I'm kinda bummed for you.  You worked too hard to be out there racing with a bunch of assholes!  It's kinda like riding with the big shot biker jerks who give cycling a bad name. 

You got out there and ran your best race.  You can't ask or expect any more out of yourself.  Please don't let this become a bad experience for you.  This is a tough choice we have made to get in shape and stay healthy by going out and testing ourselves against others, sometimes against those who are decades younger and have single-digit bodyfat numbers.  It's hard to stay positive at times, but what are you gonna do?  Join Curves?????? Just doesn't hold the same appeal, does it?

Keep your head held high - you did a FANTASTIC job yesterday! Don't forget that you're coming of of mystical medical procedure and eye surgery.    Make this a start point for the season and see if you can improve.  Most of all, feel proud that you got your butt off the couch and had the courage to go out and race against the jerks at all!

Way to go Susan!

2007-02-11 5:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio

I'm with the others that say the race wasn't very well organized.  Heck I did a little local race today and there was a 20-something couple that finished at a 17min/mile pace and an 81 year old man that finished just shy of a 18min/mile pace.  We all waited for them.  No problem.   I've been to races though where they were packing up while people were still on the course.  That sucks!  And 13-something min/mile is not that slow.  Very weird.

Congratulations anyway on the PR for race distance.  That is very cool.  It is great just to get out there and do it!  Good for you!

2007-02-11 5:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Blaine, MN
fancy tights are over rated... loser run organizers should be tarred and feathered and forced to run the race themselves...   next one is sure to be better...  
2007-02-11 7:34 PM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

You got out there and did what you planned.  Bummer about the poor organization and race officiating.

The key thing???  You never quit and never gave in to the bad vibes.  THAT is the thing to take away from this!!

2007-02-12 12:24 AM

User image

Veteran

Thanks you guys for all your comments!

I know I am not the only one out there that has been in the back of the pack and felt.... left!  When I got into the middle of the pack, all of the runners were super encouraging.  I think the people who race the races are happy we slow people are out there trying, and working, just like them.  They know even though I may not be as fast as them, I am pretty much the same as them.  I am still a runner/biker/racer.  They give me respect, encouragement and support, just like the fast cool people I look up to on this site.

The events are what drive my training.  I love doing them and I really want my f$%*king shirt at the end too because guess what?  I am going to wear that shirt 100x to the gym on the cold/rainy crap days to REMIND me why I am on the dreadmill/boring stationary bike.   

It is sad that it isn't unusual for this to happen to slow people because it is really disappointing and in a way it is humiliating.  Which is not how you want to feel after a race. 

I just wish the race directors would really pound into the volunteers' heads that the people in the back need as much or more support than the people in the front or middle.  I have to assume a race director loves the events as much as we the participants and would be upset if she/he knew that was happening on their course. 

2007-02-12 8:49 AM

Master
Houston
Great, effort, girlfriend!!  Kudos to you for your determination and drive.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sweetheart Run 8k Rss Feed