Kathy Loper Events
57F / 14C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 54m 59s
Overall Rank = 539/1198
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 76/123
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 5:45 am got dressed.....got my son ready had to bundle him up for the rainy weather. Got the car loaded up had some granola and yogurt, a bannana and some acelerade. Went to pick up my buddy Donny who was also racing. When we got there I waited for my brother to get to the race so he could watch my son. He arrived about 20 mins before the race started...and I was ready to start my warmup.
Event warmup:

I did some stretching for about 5 mins then took about a 5-6 min jog. After that I ran about 5 100 yard sprints at about 3/4 speed... I felt pretty good besides being a little intimidated by the hilly course.... I was ready to get after it...
Run
  • 1h 54m 59s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

I had the run of my life it always feels good when you go out and accomplish something you did'nt think you could.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.... I feel that I had a perfect day
Post race
Warm down:

I did a little bit of stretching walked around a little bit and waited for Donny to get done..... Donny came in at 2:01:56 also a PR for him I guess our training is paying off..... Great job Donny..

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The hills...but I am not complaining I just can't wait to run another.... I think Iam going to sign up for the La Jolla Half Marathon on April 22nd.

Event comments:

They also had the best beer garden at the finish with free beer for everyone and anyone.... I had a blast..

Last updated: 2007-02-10 12:00 AM
Running
01:54:59 | 13.1 miles | 08m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 76/123
Overall: 539/1198
Performance: Good
My goal was to go somewhere around the 2:10:00 being that my PR going into the event was 2:06:39 on a fairly flat course on the Silver Strand. The big thing I wanted to concentrate on in this race was trying to be consistent at each mile marker and I felt I did very well in acheiving that almost every mile was around 8:25 except for maybe 2 or 3 miles during the big hills. I went out the first mile at 7:49 but it was a slight downhill and you know how the first mile goes... The coolest thing about the mile 1 marker was the beer stop at the aid station... Donny and I grabbed a cup of Stone Pale Ale and I was on my way by the time I reached mile 3 I had left Donny and was hoping that my pace and the hills were not going to take it's toll on me. When I got to mile 5 I could not believe how many hills were on the course. I also could not believe that I was doing so well. I reached mile 6 and could not believe my pace when I looked down at my watch ( was something wrong ) 52:26... When I reached the 8 mile marker I saw Donny he was about 1:30 behind me but I felt like I was just getting in the groove ( Donny told me after the race when he saw me he said I looked like my stride was strong and told himself he was never going to catch me ) When I reached mile 10 I realized not only was a going to set a PR but I was going to go sub 2:00:00 much faster than my goal.I was pacing less than 8:30 per mile and I knew with only a 5k to go I was going to do it... The last few miles I felt like I was getting stronger only problem was the course director put some big hills in the last few miles to slow me down... I reached mile 12 at 1:45:11 I had time to grab another beer ( so I did ) it was a celebration beer since I knew I was going to smash my PR and go well under 2:00:00 I came around the corner saw my buddy Steve from the Tri-club then about 200yds later my number 1 fan....my amazing son ( oh yeah and my brother ) I looked at the clock and made a full blown sprint to get in under 1:55:00 with a new PR and finishing time of 1:54:59 YES!!!!! I took almost 12 mins off my PR on the toughest Half Marathon Course I have raced...... SO STOKED!!!
Course: The course was hilly but beautiful....some of the houses out on the course looked like Hotels. It has been about 6 years since I have been through Rancho Santa Fe I had forgotten how amazingly beautiful that area of San Diego is.... I am going to make sure that this becomes an annual event for me.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-02-11 6:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Carlsbad, CA
Subject: San Diegutio Half Marathon

2007-02-11 6:29 PM
in reply to: #687035

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Subject: RE: San Diegutio Half Marathon
Awesome Job! That was a really tough course, but an amazing time. That's amazing that you got the beer at mile 1 and 12! Great job PRing! You'll have no problem at the La Jolla half, just know that the downhills trash your legs a bit more than this course.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » San Diegutio Half Marathon Rss Feed