Wineglass Running Club
21F / -6C
Overcast
Total Time = 22m 17s
Overall Rank = 23/73
Age Group = M 40-49
Age Group Rank = 5/14
Pre-race routine:

Because this race was a 12:00 start, I had time to eat a leisurely breakfast and hang out with the family, before heading out to the course, which was about 10 minutes away. My inlaws can't believe that we Americans would hold race competitions in such frigid weather.
Event warmup:

Even though it was a noon start, the day had not warmed up. I hung out in the Big Flats American Legion Hall (where registration took place). My warm up consisted of walking out of the building and proceeding to the starting line.
Run
  • 22m 17s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

When the gun went off I started near the front of the pack. I kept up with the lead pack for about a quarter of a mile before settling into a more reasonable pace. My Garmin alarmed as I hit the first mile at 6:50. Pretty good, pretty good. I expected to run a consistent 7:00 - 7:05 pace for the whole race, so this gave me a little bit of a cushion. About a tenth of a mile later I looked down and saw my right shoelace flapping on the ground with each stride. I was wearing my new Asics 2120s, which have shorter laces than my 2110s. And because the laces were shorter, I didn't double knot them, as I have usually done with my other running shoes. This came back to bite me as I had to stop to retie the lace after it came loose. About another tenth of a mile later the course made a left turn, and we ran straight into a stiff icy headwind. Mile 2 alarmed at 14:17, a 7:27 pace for the second mile. Wow, stopping to retie my shoe really cost me. Okay, I figured I needed to pick it up from here to hit my goal. Well, that icy headwind, which stayed with us until almost the 3 mile mark had other ideas, as it took considerable effort to try to maintain your pace running into it. I hit the 3 mile mark at 21:37, a 7:20 pace for the third mile. A quick mental calculation made me realize that I would have to do the last .11 mile in 23 seconds (which wasn't going to happen) to hit my goal. I pushed the pace anyway, and finished in 40 seconds, which was a 6:28 pace for that last little piece.
What would you do differently?:

Double knot my shoes; this was a big lesson learned. According to the Garmin, I was completely stopped for 5 seconds of the race. The slowing down and starting up again after tying my shoe also cost a couple more seconds. Couldn't do anything about the wind. Weather.com said we had 15 mph winds, so I'm guessing the headwind we ran into was around that.
Post race
Warm down:

Made the walk from the finish line back into the hall for the refreshments and the award ceremony.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My shoe coming untied and the icy headwind. More speedwork would help also.

Event comments:

I was pretty annoyed at not hitting my goal. I believe a nicer day (no or very little wind) and a shoelace that remained tied would have resulted in me breaking that 22:00 barrier. However, the offical results say 22:17, so the goal remains until my next 5K race, scheduled for early May.

Last updated: 2007-01-10 12:00 AM
Running
00:22:17 | 03.11 miles | 07m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/14
Overall: 23/73
Performance: Below average
Mile 1: 6:50, Mile 2: 7:27, Mile 3: 7:20, Last .11: 0:40
Course: The usual Big Flats 5K course. I actually know this course very well, as all of my long runs of over 10 miles overlap with a good portion of the race course.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-02-14 9:13 AM

User image

Regular
Horseheads, NY
Subject: Valentine's Day 5K Race

2007-02-14 9:30 AM
in reply to: #690182

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Valentine's Day 5K Race
Nice race Derek!  Given parts of the race were at 6:xx pace, I'm sure you've got a sub-22 (and probably faster) 5K inside you somewhere.
2007-02-17 9:40 PM
in reply to: #690182

Subject: RE: Valentine's Day 5K Race
Nice race regardless of the shoe mishap. I know exactly what you mean. I've been double-knotting my shoes for a long time because I found out the hard way. Head into a running store sometime and buy some lace binders that keep your laces from untying. They work great too.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Valentine's Day 5K Race Rss Feed