General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Riding in the rain? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-02-14 11:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Los Angeles
Subject: Riding in the rain?
So how do you do it? I mean, be careful on the turns, watch slippery areas, etc. of course. Do our wheels handle the wet pretty well? I've never even biked on wet surfaces till Sunday's reverse Tri.

What do you wear in preperation? I wore a tech shirt and it got soaked and heavy - i was thinking I'd stay warm with it on but my brain wasn't working too well in Transition. Maybe I should have just gone out with my Tri Sleeveless Top.

I had problems seeing - water beaded up on my glasses, and if I pulled them down to see, the rain pelted my eyes. Is there some sort of solution for the lenses that make the water run off instead of bead up and make them all blurry???

I didn't mind the rain so much except for that fact (seeing).

Any advice for future rain rides?

2007-02-14 12:54 PM
in reply to: #690497

User image

Expert
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Riding in the rain?

**caution, this suggestion might not be safe**

i use rain-x on my windshield and it works so well, i practically don't have to use my wipers because the water just flows off.  it's amazing stuff!  perhaps a bit of that on the ol' shades will help your situation.

~B

2007-02-14 1:14 PM

User image

Kentucky
I've done it plenty...haven't crashed yet (knock on wood), but I've had a few close calls. The Muncie 1/2 IM was mostly rain a couple of years back...geesh.

Braking is a bigger deal than the wheels slipping for me. I have to be careful to leave plenty of time for stoppage if I need it. Yes, take it easy on turns. And try to stay off the paint on the road. Also, look for deeper puddles if they are forming...not so much fun to try to wade out of a big puddle.

Clothing for me is almost always some sort of a rain jacket if I'm expecting rain when I train. However, if it's a sprint, it's whatever I wore on the swim. If it's a 1/2, it's usually some sort of a tri top. But if I'm just training in it, it's a rain jacket to help keep me dry.

I have problems with the glasses, too. I've got Rudys, and they work pretty well (orange tint) in the rain, but I often find myself looking over the top of them instead of through them. Gotta wear them or I'm blinking like mad trying to keep the water of my eyes. My Oakleys don't seem to be as anti-fog as they are advertised to be, so I don't wear those in rainy races or rides. Looking forward to other peoples' solutions on this one.

Kim
2007-02-14 1:37 PM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
The only thing to watch out for in the rain are those painted stripes on the road.  When they wet, they are extremely slippery.  You have to approach these with extreme caution.
2007-02-14 2:37 PM

New user
And rail-road tracks!!!!!!!!!!
2007-02-14 2:41 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2007-02-14 2:42 PM
in reply to: #690598

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
getsome - 2007-02-14 12:54 PM

i use rain-x on my windshield and it works so well,

This was my first thought as well. I'd try it first on some cheapo glasses, would hate for the rain-x to disslve my $125 Rudis...

2007-02-14 4:00 PM

Seattle
I hate the way fenders look on a road bike, but...I use removable race blades when riding in the rain. They will keep your tail from getting super soggy. They also reduce the amount of road grime on your bike, chest and face. Another reason to avoid puddles...they may be potholes. You would not want to ruin a wheel. Kool Stop makes a good brake pad for wet conditions.

No drafting.

Always wipe your bike down after riding in the rain. It is also a good idea to clean your chain. If you are riding in heavy rain, you should remove your seatpost and drain the water from inside the frame by turning the bike upside down. This may all sound like over doing it, but it will prolong the life of your expensive frame and expensive components.

Riding in Seattle has helped me come up with ways to ride safely in the rain.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Riding in the rain? Rss Feed