United States
Multisport Race Management and Consulting
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 15m 39s
Overall Rank = 39/233
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 3/16
Pre-race routine:

I had my alarm set for 5:00am, but I woke up at 4:30am on my own. I figured that I would fall back asleep but after ten minutes of just laying there I got up. I decided to check my bike first and discovered a flat rear tire. Last year I got a flat during this same race. Now when I got my Zipp 606 wheels, I had to take them to the bike shop to have the tires put on because I could not do it. So I am thinking to myself, "I sure hope this tire has stretched a little". I get the tire off and sure enough I have a small hole in the tube. I grab a new tube and notice a distinct difference from the tube I just removed. The valve on the old tube does not have a valve stem. It is just open so you can screw in a valve extender that has a valve stem. The replacement tube has the extra long valve with the valve stem. However, it is not long enough for the rear wheel and my valve extenders will not fit. I then remembered that Zipp had sent along valve extenders with the wheels. Now were did I put those? Drawer #1, not there. Drawer #2, mildly panicked. Drawer #3, BINGO. Now lets see if I can get this badboy back together. It took a little work but I got the tire back on. Now with the Zipp valve extenders, you leave the valve stem open, screw on the extender, forcefully pump in the air, and hope the valve stem magically closes. That's why I got the other extenders. So I could actually work the valve stem. But the guy who did the work failed to tell me that I needed a special tube. The bike is taken care of so back to my regular routine, somewhat. Normally I make my almond butter sandwich and eat it while watching TV. This time I had to eat it while getting all my stuff together. I ended up leaving the house only 15 minutes later than I intended.

Driving to the race I decided to turn the radio to a music channel(KZPS). I thought maybe that would help relax me after the tire thing. I almost exclusively listen to The Ticket. Wouldn't ya know the next song on is Red Barchetta by RUSH. My favorite RUSH song. OK, I am feeling better now. It must be a sign. Everything will be fine.
Event warmup:

As I am unloading my stuff, another racer comes up and asks me about the Zipp valve extenders. He is having a hard time getting his tires pumped up and is looking for advised. Ya, they seem to be kind of screwy but just keep pumping and hope the valve stem closes. It worked and he was fine.

After I got my transition area set up, I did 1 easy lap around the track.
Run
  • 12m 7s
  • 2 miles
  • 06m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

First of all, there is no way 2 laps around the track was 2 miles. Or even 1.95 miles as the race director stated. I can NOT run a 6 minute mile. I had my tempo trainer set at a cadence of 90 and that seemed just right. I felt pretty good because the leaders of my wave were not that far ahead of me. However when we started the second lap, we got mixed with people from the first wave and I lost track of the leaders in my wave. I just tried to keep a steady pace. During the second lap, my HR monitor started to slip down and eventually made it to my belly button by the end of the run. Oh great, now I won't have any HR data for the race.
What would you do differently?:

Strap my HR monitor more tightly
Transition 1
  • 01m 10s

I forgot to set the pedals in position for jumping on the bike. Need to remember that next time.
Bike
  • 47m 46s
  • 16.22 miles
  • 20.37 mile/hr
Comments:

As we exit the infield, you have to go under a bridge. There was a noticeable bump as you went under the bridge. The bump was so noticeable that it knocked out my cadence sensor. When I make a race plan, my effort on the bike is determined by the cadence I choose. OK, now I have to rely on my training to remember the feel of a 105 cadence. Then I remembered that I could also use my HR to determine my effort. Even though it was down around my belly button, it was still registering. So I kept monitoring my HR to keep it around 155. Overall, I felt very fast on the bike.

I wish my cadence sensor would not have gone out. I took my feet out of my shoes too early before the dismount line.
Transition 2
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

I passed a few people by jumping off the bike while moving.

Nothing
Run
  • 13m 42s
  • 2 miles
  • 06m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

Did I mention that there is no way it was 2 miles? I started off feeling good knowing that it would take a little time to loosen up. Lap one was fine but my quads were still feeling tight. At the start of lap two, someone turned on the lactic acid faucet. My quads slowly kept getting tighter and tighter. I just knew I would be thrown to the asphalt with the cramp of the century. I slowed my cadence, lengthend my stride and that seemed to help a little. I was able to muster up a slight sprint at the end. After the finish, it took about 5 minutes before I could bend my legs more than 10 degrees.

Looking back, I think I probably went harder on the bike as a result of my sensor being out. That is probably what caused my quads to get so tight.
Post race
Warm down:

Bagels and Gatorade. Walked around until my quads finally loosened up. Talked with JeepFleeb for about 5-10 minutes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

2nd run should have been faster. Maybe I need to do a few more bricks

Event comments:

Overall, I am very pleased with my performance. Anytime I can finish in the top 20% overall, I will be happy.

Last updated: 2007-02-12 12:00 AM
Running
00:12:07 | 02 miles | 06m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/16
Overall: 44/233
Performance: Good
Course: 2 laps around practice track inside TMS
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:10
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:47:46 | 16.22 miles | 20.37 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/16
Overall: 41/233
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: 3 laps around the outside of TMS. Fairly flat course.
Road:   Cadence: ?
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:54
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:13:42 | 02 miles | 06m 51s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/16
Overall: 63/233
Performance: Below average
Course: Same as above
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-02-19 10:34 PM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
Subject: Texas Motor Speedway Du

2007-02-20 12:45 PM
in reply to: #696445

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: Texas Motor Speedway Du
Great race report!

Yea, I was about to say... 6 minute miles... WOAH!!!!

Well, take it how you can get it...
2007-02-20 1:27 PM

User image

Regular
Wylie, TX

STUD!!!  Turn PRO man! 

Leg camp and still pumping out a sub 6:30 mile!  Congraz on top in age group!!!!

2007-02-27 11:23 AM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX

What a surprise!! I got some "hardware" in the mail for finishing 3rd, in my AG, for this race. Turns out there was a timing error on someone ahead of me so that bumped me from 4th to 3rd. My first trophy since I caught the TriBug in the summer of 2005.

I would like to thank anyone that I have ever come in contact with in any way, shape, or form.

2007-02-27 1:05 PM
in reply to: #704948

User image

Veteran
Texas
Congrats! That's great that they actually found an error and corrected it. What a nice surprise to get in the mail!
2007-02-27 4:25 PM

User image

Master
CT
nice race! congrats on the hardware

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Texas Motor Speedway Du Rss Feed