First Place Athletics
31F / -1C
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 18m 45s
Overall Rank = 40/68
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Stayed overnight about 15 miles away from the race sight. Ate my oatmeal and found a cup of coffee grabbed my gear and headed over the Bankhead National Forest at the Brushy Lake Rec area where the race started off.
Event warmup:

No warmup-just walked to the bridge for the start.
Run
  • 6h 18m 45s
  • 31 miles
  • 12m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

I didn't move very fast, I was just taking my time and enjoying the beautiful forest. Lots of history with the Cherokee Indians as this area was part of the Trail of Tears.
I kept pace with another person, a guy and we waited on each other throughout the course until almost the end at which time I was ready to get finished and get home so I went on ahead.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really. I wasn't there to try to get a good time on the run.
Post race
Warm down:

The race volunteers cooked up a huge pot of beans and rice and it was so good to get some solid food and it was still really cold outside.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

IT Band pain in my right knee. It started hurting in the first two miles of the run. I am headed back to the physical therapist today to work on it.

Event comments:

The race volunteers were the best I have ever enjoyed at any events I have entered. This is top notch and I hope it grows in its third year next year. Wonderful course for anyone wanting to get into trail ultras, the terrain was not very technical and it was so enjoyable to get "lost in the forest". Trail was very well marked.

Last updated: 2006-12-21 12:00 AM
Running
06:18:45 | 31 miles | 12m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/68
Performance: Average
Course: First 2.8 miles were on a hard packed dirt and gravel service road in the park, then started on beautiful single track through the forest. Good rolling terrain, and few technical small hills with rocks. Lots and lots of mud, and 2-3 creek crossings up to the ankle in cold water.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-02-20 8:18 AM

User image

chattanooga
Subject: Black Warrior 50K Trail Run

2007-02-20 9:27 AM
in reply to: #696603

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Subject: RE: Black Warrior 50K Trail Run
Sounds like an awesome race.  I think 12 per mile is pretty darn good at that distance!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Black Warrior 50K Trail Run Rss Feed