Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Baggage and how to get rid of it... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2007-02-26 4:25 PM

User image

Master
Sonoma County, CA
Subject: Baggage and how to get rid of it...
So I'm going thru "the change" right now...no, not that change.
But a career change and lifestyle change and examining myself, what i want, who I'm trying to impress (and why) and to evaluate my priorities are really where they need to be, where I want them to be. I guess this is my mid-life crisis.

Part of that process is going through old stuff and throwing it out.....don't ask me why, but I find it cathartic.

So I just got finished burning all of my old journals and papers from as far back as I remember. Pages and pages of teen, college, early adult, early married, early career, mid-life ANGST....pages and pages of trauma and drama, cyclic stream of consciousness CRAP and obsessive over-thinking about boys, jobs, kids, life, happiness and all of that.

I burnt them.
All.
And as I sat there in front of the fire that actually burned so hot it gave me burns on my legs and hands I felt like a chapter closing in my life.

I know we've all made mistakes in our past, done stuff we would change if we could, and I've realized these past couple months that I still continue to beat myself over the head about past actions. I guess the fire was a symbolic way to finally release myself and tell that critical voice in my head to once and for all SHUT THE HELL UP ALREADY!!! IT'S IN THE PAST!!!

I feel better.
It's time to stop beating myself up for the past and look to the future.

So my question....anyone have any other ways they're able to let go and move on?

2007-02-26 4:30 PM
in reply to: #703934

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-02-26 4:34 PM

Master
Sonoma County, CA
Subject: RE: Baggage and how to get rid of it...
wow, you really do that?

Yeah, it's been something I've battled doing for a few years. I've always said no b/c I figured "this will make a great book someday!!!" but every time I went to try to read any of it I would cringe and slam the books shut and shove them back in the cupboard.

I may regret it, but I don't think so. Not sure if others do this (but I'm pretty sure others do) but I have a tendency to rehash everything I"ve done in the past and slap myself on the head "d'oh! shouldn't have said that" and "why did you DO that?" and all that, "ohmigod, they think you're a TOTAL Dork!" Talk about narcisstic.

That critic in my head needs to be shut down. (wow, I sound psycho, lol).

I think we all have that critic in our head, that's constantly telling us we're not good enough, smart enough and no Stuart Smalley to say "but gosh darnnit, people like me!!!" I'm trying to clear out old baggage to give Stuart a chance to get through

2007-02-26 4:37 PM
in reply to: #703949

Elite
Cheesehead, WI

Don't laugh...but I usually have cut my hair. OK, not to the extreme that Ms. Spears went...but long to short. Always seems to 'free' me.

Trips are nice too. I've been going thru some sort of metamorphosis myself... so going to FL in 2 weeks to visit my mom will be nice to get a way and 'think'. Although, it is my moms... YIKES, and I'm taking my 3.5 year old son (double yikes!)

2007-02-26 4:42 PM
in reply to: #703949

2007-02-26 4:45 PM

2007-02-26 4:47 PM

2007-02-26 4:47 PM
in reply to: #703958

Master
Sonoma County, CA
BbMoozer - 2007-02-26 1:37 PM

Don't laugh...but I usually have cut my hair. OK, not to the extreme that Ms. Spears went...but long to short. Always seems to 'free' me.

Trips are nice too. I've been going thru some sort of metamorphosis myself... so going to FL in 2 weeks to visit my mom will be nice to get a way and 'think'. Although, it is my moms... YIKES, and I'm taking my 3.5 year old son (double yikes!)

I love that!

and yes, trips too. I do that as well. I do an occasional "Weekend of Nancy" and I'll head up the coast to Mendocino or out to Tahoe or down to Monterey and book a room in a B&B, bring my sonoma county wine, bring all my mags I haven't caught up in and sight see during the day, have a nice dinner and then go back to lounge and read...actually doing a tahoe trip this weekend to do that very thing.

And yeah, moms...gotta love 'em, but there's something about going home sometimes, no matter how much they drive you crazy.

2007-02-26 4:49 PM
in reply to: #703977

2007-02-26 4:51 PM
in reply to: #703980

Master
Sonoma County, CA
SweetK - 2007-02-26 1:47 PM
I save things that center around my daughter and pictures of family events/milestones, but otherwise it's gone... and it feels great! Now to sell that wedding ring for a new bike!

agreed. i was just thinking about that....i have more "purging" to do the next few days (i'm on a roll) but could not bear to part with anything that has to do with my son Jack...maybe this will be motivation to finally get those photo albums finished so I can get rid of the boxes and boxes of old photos that are gathering dust.

2007-02-26 5:00 PM

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio

I think you all are making a mistake. These are memories and moments in your life - throwing them away does nothing but lend a momentary satisfaction and the illustion of control. I've got pictures from I haven't looked at in years, but I might with say my daughter as she struggles with her own identity and with who I am/was in 10 or 20 years.... These things are part of who I am and part of who you are....

Just my thoughts....

2007-02-26 5:04 PM
in reply to: #704003

Edited by SweetK 2007-02-26 5:05 PM
2007-02-26 5:04 PM
in reply to: #703986

2007-02-26 5:13 PM

Edited by spokes 2007-02-26 5:15 PM
2007-02-26 5:23 PM

Pro
Evanston,

Wow, i could never burn them.  That doesn't mean it was a bad idea for YOU though.  It obviously represented some painful chapters you wanted to leave behind you.  It took courage.

For me, my past makes me who I am, the times of victory and the times of failure both.  Maybe I wouldn't have made the good choices I've made without first witnessing who i'd become from making bad ones.

But the hair thing - hah!  you should see my driver's license picture taken a week or two after FINALLY, DEFINITIVELY cancelling the wedding.   Probably the shortest it's been since I've had teeth!

2007-02-26 5:28 PM
in reply to: #704024

2007-02-26 5:36 PM
in reply to: #704046

2007-02-26 5:36 PM

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County

I don't really have a good answer for you, hon.  I'm still processing stuff from my ex of nearly 4 years.  We were together for 10 years, and I still have some of the stuff he gave me.  But only the things that have meaning to me today.  I have a pair of earrings he gave me in (what later turned out to be a rare) moment of genuine generosity.  I never wear them, but when I look at them I'm able to smile and remember a sweet moment without also thinking about the following 9 years of hell.

I've forgiven myself for staying with him so long after it wasn't fun anymore.  And I've taken responsibility for my role in the relationship problems, and pat myself on the back for finally leaving, even though it was hard and long long overdue.

I don't know.  I guess I just remind myself that there are only so many things you can do with the past:

- learn from it
- leave it behind

Regret is the past having a stranglehold on the future.  Let it go.  You made the best decisions you were capable of making at the time and under the circumstances, I think they were darn good ones (even though I don't really know what they were, I know you and I know you are a good and smart person who has a fun, loving, and trusting nature, so you had to been making good decisions, right?). 

If we don't make any mistakes, we're not learning anything, right?   

2007-02-26 8:22 PM

Coach
Stairway to Seven
THere is a great SMALL book called something like Clearing CLutter the Feng Shui Way. It's a great & fast read. What I recall from it right now, is that you should only keep things that bring you joy & happiness. If looking at it, or even recalling that it's in a box/attic/computer file makes you feel sad or guilty, then get rid of it.

Congratulations on moving forward.
2007-02-26 8:53 PM

Elite
Chicago, IL

I agree... I think cleaning regularly is healthy

I purge my closets alot, and my garage is due once Spring arrives.

I have thrown out old journals as well... I think it's okay... you can always start a new one whenever you feel like it

2007-02-26 9:03 PM

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

I purge non-meaningful items every chance I get.

I do not purge things like old cards, love letters, mementos, journals, or anything that has any sort of feeling attached to it. Or that I created out of that feeling. Those very feelings have made me the person I am today. Good, bad, indifferent, whatever.

My ex husband found, read, and burned my journal. I've never felt more violated. Sick to my stomach. He put it in the Weber in the back yard and had himself a little BBQ.

I don't necessarily go back and read these items regularly, or at all... but I do like knowing they are there... I am hurt and lost knowing that several years of journaling went up in flames at the hands of an obsessive compulsive whackjob. 

I suppose they are your thoughts, and your creations, so do with them what you will. I won't be burning anything like that anytime soon. I don't need that kind of closure. Things are what they are. Moving on doesn't mean you must destroy everything that came before. 

2007-02-26 9:14 PM
in reply to: #704327

2007-02-27 12:07 AM

Master
Sonoma County, CA
wow.
so i've been at work the last few hours and am dog tired but had to log on.
I love EVERY response here....(and trust me, there are threads that at times leave me banging the keyboard over the cpu...lol)

For me, what I burned today where my stream-of-consciousness diaries...diaries that I used to keep which were basically that little voice inside my head which used to remind me every little thing I f'd up with (regardless if I f'd up or if it was a bad day or if absolutely nothing bad happened).

my diaries weren't momentos of great times, good conversations, random meanderings on moments, experiences and people I've met and cherish. They were my little notebook of how bad a person I really (or thought) I was. Call it my "how did i f up today diary" cuz that what it was.

I carried that baggage way too long. And knowing those 20 or so journals were sitting in my nightstand cabinet, right next to where I slept, did impact me, I realize now. Because no matter how I tried to move on, forgive, forget, accept, and learn from my past all of my most insecure, deepest darkest fears, thoughts, and neurosis were there...in black and white and waiting for someone to read (and probably wouldn't have shocked anyone if they read them if I logically think about it).

It's been a few hours and the only thing I can say...I feel lighter. Weird, huh? I do. I feel lighter. I let go of something today...FINALLY. It's gone. It is COMPLETELY symbolic. But a step to let go and FINALLY just forgive, accept and learn from.

The memories of my son....I will keep forever and can't wait to share with him.
One thing I did save, obviously, was a diary that my ex husband and I kept while I was pregnant...I don't care how neurotic I was "I had a sip of wine at dinner! You're going to come out missing a limb!" I would not keep that from him.

Fond memories of friends and experiences...I've got in letters, cards, emails and pictures.
I find it interesting that I just realized after reading these comments that the things that *do* matter to me...memories I want to pass on to my son and my family when I go...are in a separate box in another room....talk about subliminal, huh?

Anywho, great insight from a lot of interesting people....

Every experience I've had has helped shape who I am today. People who know me today love me for who I am so I need to let go of the past and love me for who I am as well.

Gads, all I need now is Stuart Smalley standing next to me giving me a big hug...sheesh.

2007-02-27 1:07 AM
in reply to: #704327

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio
Whizzzzz - 2007-02-26 8:03 PM

I purge non-meaningful items every chance I get.

I do not purge things like old cards, love letters, mementos, journals, or anything that has any sort of feeling attached to it. Or that I created out of that feeling. Those very feelings have made me the person I am today. Good, bad, indifferent, whatever.

My ex husband found, read, and burned my journal. I've never felt more violated. Sick to my stomach. He put it in the Weber in the back yard and had himself a little BBQ.

I don't necessarily go back and read these items regularly, or at all... but I do like knowing they are there... I am hurt and lost knowing that several years of journaling went up in flames at the hands of an obsessive compulsive whackjob.

I suppose they are your thoughts, and your creations, so do with them what you will. I won't be burning anything like that anytime soon. I don't need that kind of closure. Things are what they are. Moving on doesn't mean you must destroy everything that came before.

My favoreit picture of my sister is a shot of her, hat on, no make-up, drinking a beer and making a face, completely unprepared and unaware the picture being taken. She hates it. For me, however, it makes me think of millions of little things about her that she can't even begin to fathom - I wouldn't even try. Ultimately, of seeing who she is without her spin on it... All I can say to her is I love that picture.

Consider life like a series of snapshots = some intense, some meandering, but all a collection of moments that connect points in time. We define our lives by relationships - marriage, kids, work, parents, friends... you name ir, relationships define who you are - they are the clock by which you measure life = everything else is highways between towns. Real, but meaningless.

To act as if relationships never existed, or as if some part of you didn't happen is the same as denying a part of you. You are what you are. You are the person yesterday built. You can't hide it and the people who love you see it long before you do, so what is the point?

I have never had a relationship I didn't grow from. An experience I didn'txp treasure - some of my most painful relationships have been my most worthwhile experiences.... my easiest completely forgettable.  I treasure them all - once the hurt and angst leaves, I view them as pieces of me that no amount of coin or soap can cleanse. They define who I am - all relationships define who you are, how you relate to the grocer, your GF or your mother, or the waitress when you don't have the cash to tip. I

ntimate relationships bring a sharper contrast to you're own perception and reality - too discard those "snapshots" and glimpses into who you are and where you were is to hide from who are and what you are.

forshniznit. 

I've made bad choices and I've behaved badly: Made the right call and lost my senses: but those things make and define me. I'm all of it: Burning or hiding those pieces of your life is like picking and choosing your pictures from a gallery. You can save all the good ones - but what you hate may just be what someone loves. 

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Baggage and how to get rid of it... Rss Feed