General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mag resistance versus Shifting gears on trainer Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-03-03 3:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, CA
Subject: Mag resistance versus Shifting gears on trainer

Ok -stupid newbie question...Now that I've set up my trainer I've realized I have resistance options for workouts. 1 -to shift the bike (gears) and 2 - to change the resistance w/ my remote on the Mag trainer. Is one better than the other or is one easier on the wear and tear on the bike, should I be using both?

Just a little confused about all this indoor stuff - Any tips? I'm too afraid to take it outside until I learn how to change a tire and get on and off the thing in clip shoes, so I'm keeping the training inside for now

2007-03-03 9:42 PM
in reply to: #710260

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL
Subject: RE: Mag resistance versus Shifting gears on trainer

I use a mag trainer and use the least resistance (0) and a front small ring gear to warm up.  The first level of resistance is generally used for all other work with shifting gears for changes in resistance.  The second level of resistance is a big increase and can make me have to stand up to pedal.

Last winter and this winter have lived on the trainer and only use the high magnetic resistance for hill training.

Otherwise, if you are simply building your base endurance, find a resistance that you think most resembles a road ride and then use gear changes.

Happy trainer riding to you.

2007-03-03 9:51 PM
in reply to: #710260

User image

Master
West Jordan, UT
Subject: RE: Mag resistance versus Shifting gears on trainer

It shouldn't matter which way you pick resistance.   Just find a level that makes it so it isn't too hard to keep pedalling about 80-90 rpm for at least a half hour.   If you are pretty new to this, all workouts should be built around going longer instead of harder for a while. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mag resistance versus Shifting gears on trainer Rss Feed