HR Adventure
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 33m 9s
Overall Rank = DNF/55
Age Group = n/a
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Last night got all my gear ready and packed into the car. I think I did pretty good... I had 3 separate bags (one for biking, one for canoeing and one for running) and had 3 sets of shoes and clothes. Plus I got all my food and water together. I brought enough for 2 because my partner was planning on eating protein bars only throughout the entire race. All I had to do was get up, brush my teeth, put my bike on my car and go.

I got to my partner's house at 8:30 am and he didn't have any of his gear packed. It was all spread out on the table and he was trying to get a little organized. Right then I knew this was going to be an issue. We had to be at the race site by 10am (30 minutes away) or be charged with a 1 hour time penalty.
Event warmup:

Drove up to the race site at 9:58 am so no time penalty. We had 1 hour to get our gear ready, get checked in, check out our rental canoe, get fitted for PFDs and paddles, change into the gear for whatever leg was first.

At 10;15 the pre-race meeting started and we had not unloaded our car and were still dealing with paddles/canoes/PFDs. I sent my partner to the pre-race meeting and finished the canoe, found a spot in the transition area and unloaded our gear. He had a camelback as gear. I had my camelback, a gallon of water, cooler of food and 3 bags. He came back with the information from the race, the main part to say that we were mountain biking first, canoeing second and running last. That was my preferred order because I definitely didn't want to try mountain biking after canoeing. He also came back with the last 12 of our 18 points for the canoeing and running part of the race.

We spent the rest of the time getting ready and at 11:00, when the race started, we were at least ready to go even though we had plotted no points.
Post race
Warm down:

Exhausted, we went to Starbuck's, drank some coffee and just kind of sat around a bit. We didn't have much to say; we were too tired.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

For me personally, my battery being in the wrong place. The rest of the limitations are really just training and conditioning issues.

Event comments:

I say the race was too hard, because of me, not the race. It was an excellent beginner race, very well coordinated, organized and the staff was super nice.

I knew this course was too hard going in given the reality of my fitness level and how little I have ever mountain biked. I also knew I probably would DNF (although I had at least hoped to make it to the 2nd event). I knew I hadn't trained enough (was only asked a month ago to do it).

Given my circumstances I am very happy with my results. I am proud of myself and my team mate. We had a blast together and he was very patient with my riding ability.

The race organizers put on a clinic about 3 weeks ago and the best thing I got out of this entire thing was, "You are on a team" and I feel like I did great with my team. I am glad he had some problems too, because it reminded me that it is just like life. No one is perfect and you stick with the team you have chosen. And I think we did that and I also think I now have a good new friend.

Plus I have cool new bruises, scratches and a bloody sock to show off!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-02-01 12:00 AM
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-03-03 8:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: HR Adventure Spring Route

2007-03-03 9:59 PM
in reply to: #710454

User image

Master
Sachse
Subject: RE: HR Adventure Spring Route
Hey...you had fun and that is all that matters..Great job getting out there..and you got some cool gravity tattoos to show off !! I had a DNF my first race back....like you, I knew I was about to have my butt handed to me. But, in a sick kind of way, it was fun and painful at the same time. I learned a lot.

when are you scheduling the next one?

Kenny
2007-03-03 11:00 PM
in reply to: #710492

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Way to get out there and go for it!!  Adventure racing sounds like such a tough thing to do, and you got out there and gave it your best shot, so that's awesome!

2007-03-04 8:48 AM

Great Job ... Congrats ...

I look forward to your next race 

2007-03-04 2:32 PM

User image

Regular
Columbus, OH

It is awesome that you even considered an adventure race.  Given that you haven't mountain biked that much before you did great.  I can't imagine mountain biking 15 miles, then canoeing (an unknown distance) and then running!  All in six hours!  It makes me tired just to think about what you two went through.  Think I'll stick with tris, thank you.

2007-03-04 2:50 PM

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
Great job taking on this race. Mountain biking is tricky. Hope your bruises are feeling OK.

2007-03-04 6:32 PM

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio
Wow, I can't imagine going 4+ hours and getting a dnf.  On the bright side, you did get a heck of a 4 hour workout!   I have a lot of respect for you getting out there and doing it.  Don't think I'd have the balls to even give it a shot.  Tough circumstances, tough race, one tough LADY!  Great effort Susan!
2007-03-05 10:43 AM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Greate job getting out there and making it happen.

Have never done an AR but they sure sound tough. Lot's of mental game piled on top of tons of physical stress. Sounds like you guys pulled things together and made the best of it though.

It certainly takes a lot of moxy to get out there and even attempt one of these things.

Good On Ya
2007-03-05 10:54 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Way to put yourself out there. Glad there was no road rash or broken bones!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » HR Adventure Spring Route Rss Feed