Ironman Langkawi
40C / 104F
Sunny
Total Time = 15h 04m 59s
Overall Rank = 359/551
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 59/86
Pre-race routine:

Today is race day. We woke up at 4.30am and had our breakfast in the room, consisting of milo and bread. Can't really eat any much more besides this. We left the hotel at about 5.30am and took a slow 1km walk to the transition area. Although the flag off is only at 7.15am, the swim warm up starts at 6.45am, and there are a few things that we need to do - registration and measuring of weight, checking in of special needs bags, body marking, fill up water bottles, pump tyres, and visit the toilet. Reach transition area at about 6am, and by the time we finished all these, it's just nice 6.45, so we did some stretching before warming up at 7am. There's even some time for phototaking as we saw Sam Ng there. For others, it's also time to bid farewell to family and friends supporters. I even saw a couple (both participants) kissing at the transition area.
Event warmup:

The water felt slightly warm, which is a good thing. After a short warm up, we just wait at the platform for the swim start. The wait is accompanied with wellwishes from friends and saying Hellos and good luck wishes to people we know… Lawrence, Desmond, some trifam people. Did not get to see Mika, George and Eugene though. When they announced there's 2 more min to flag off, we were anticipating for the start and tension build up. I asked Aziz and Stephen what is going through their mind now, this being their first attempt. For me, I just prepare myself for a long day ahead, and remind myself 2 words – Pacing and Nutrition. All of a sudden, we heard the sound of the gun, and we were still on the platform. People starting saying 'start already', so we quickly jump in and start swimming.
Swim
  • 1h 26m 46s
  • 3800 meters
  • 02m 17s / 100 meters
Comments:

It was quite difficult to navigate initially as people are swimming in different directions and it isn't very bright yet. It took a while before I manage to clear from the crowd and able to swim in the right direction. The swim felt good and comfortable but it felt so long before I finally reach the U-turn. I checked my watch and it showed 36++min. I was surprised by such a fast split time. As I swim, I sometimes worry about jellyfish in the sea. Some of them were telling stories about jellyfishes in this sea. Eugene Lee was bitten by one in the face last year and ended up in ICU, and thus was not able to start the race last year. So this year is a re-course for him. Luckily I did not see any jellyfish and tell myself to swim like normal and swim with the people around me.

On the way back I felt I slowed down. By the end of the swim, my time was 1:26:46. That was slightly slower than the time I clocked in 2004. Back then I swam 1:25.
Transition 1
  • 07m 25s
Comments:

felt that I had slowed down on the way back, and at one part, I swam off course a bit. As I exit onto the platform, I saw Mika just ahead of me. After showering, I looked for my bike bag and get changed into my cycling jersey and shorts. I took slightly over 7min for T1, still feeling fresh and started the bike leg strong and comfortable.
Bike
  • 6h 47m 12s
  • 180.2 kms
  • 26.55 km/hr
Comments:

I was by myself. When I reached the first slope, which is the longest slope in the course, I saw many people struggling to go up. I went up using big chain ring and the smallest gear, but the cadence dropped so I decided that I should change to the small chain ring. I was able to climb comfortably and began to overtake a lot of people as I go up the slope. Immediately following this longest slope is the steepest descent. I have to control the bike very well and look far ahead. I do not even dare to glance at my cyclometer as I go down, I just concentrate on controlling the bike on the decent. This is the same ascent and descent which I went through twice in '04. After the race, I realised the speed was 65kmh as I went down this slope.

After this steep descent is followed by another ascent, this time steeper but shorter. I managed to go up this slope and overtook a few more riders. I reached the first U turn (lower u turn) at 22:25 (about 10km). This is also the point for special needs bike. At this U turn, we have to do 2 complete loops of about 55km each followed by another half loop and return to transition via a different road. This section is not very hilly which makes it more manageable. However, the late morning heat is building up and it is getting hotter. The sky is clear without clouds. When I started on the bike, I have been drinking water and finished one 500ml bottle for the first 10km. Following that, still within the first hour, I started drinking my accelerade. My plan was to alternate drinking accelerade for one hour and taking 2 powergels every alternate hour. At the same time, take 2 salt tabs every 2hr.

I passed Mika somewhere before the roundabout on the first lap and said Hi to her. She smiled and greeted Hello. She is going very easy (which she proved to pay off at the end). After the 'top' U turn, I stopped to go to the toilet. I finished my first lap in slightly less than 1hr, about 1:57:31. My second lap is slightly slower at 2:08:26 as I began to feel a little tired on the legs as a result of the rolling terrain. I stopped once again to go to the toilet. After the 'top' U turn on the 2nd lap, I tried to reach for my pill box in my bentobox for the salt tablets, but it accidentally slipped off and fell onto the road. I quickly stopped the bike, came down, ran back to pick up the salt tablets and put them back into the pill box. If I don’t, I will be riding without any salt tabs and that would not be wise. However, I lost one pill. So I had 7 pills left instead of 8. I took another 2 pills during the 2nd lap. However, as I was going up a steep slope and overtaking a caucasian guy, nearing the completion of the 2nd loop, I suffered a cramp on my left hamstring. It forced me to stop and come down the bike to stretch it before I reach the peak. I stretched for a couple of seconds and started riding. The cramp did not come back. I had not expect to have any cramps while cycling because I had put in more bike mileage during training. But it still happened. I was using the gear ratio that I was using during training and yet it happened. I think it's because I do not have sufficient hill training. Anyway, the hamstring cramps did not come back after that, but during the third and final lap, while going up slope, I felt my hip and gluteal medius area about to cramp, but I was able to hold it. At the same time, the weather felt hotter. While riding, I was hoping that these cramps wil not affect my run later (it did).

Looking back, I think I did not hydrate well enough during the 2nd and 3rd lap on the bike. I took water bottles and electrolyte drinks at every water station but I think I could have and needed to drink more. Maybe I should even pour water over my head. While taking another 2 salt tablets while cycling the 3rd lap, one tablet dropped off, so I am left with 4 salt tablets. I knew that I was running low (I will not have salt tabs during the last hour of the bike) and I will not be taking enough electrolyte replenishment, so I tried to take electrolyte drinks at every water station. I guess their concentration is not optimal, or my body needed more. The sports drink they provide is Enervit, which tastes a bit bitter I was slowing a bit as I complete the 3rd lap, I am not sure whether I was not able to keep up with the cyclists around and behind me, or are they pushing towards the finish. Over the last 20km or so, a few of them actually overtook me from behind. There was a Japanese guy No 613 who is often around me during the 2nd and 3rd lap. He also pulled away, but I think he pushed over the last 20km. I didn’t see him afterwards. During the 3rd lap at the 'top' U turn, I caught up with blueshoemouse, but later on, he managed to pull away too. I was happy to see him as I know he has been training hard on his bike. There are some people who literaly stopped at the slopes to rest before continue on. They are either suffering from cramps, or are too heavy to go up. I completed my final 60km in 2:18:53 (that’s 25.9kmh! So slow). The heat is killing, but not so bad while cycling. As the bike and run course overlap, as I was cycling past the run course, I saw already many people running. And I can tell from their faces how hot it is. I also realised how far behind I was. Along the way, I saw George Chong, Eugene Lee and a few other familiar faces walking. Everyone is wearing a cap, and some wearing sunglasses. I had not put a cap into my run bag, and somehow regretted not to have done so. I could have just put one there just in case. I saw Stephen just as I passed Seaview Hotel, with 1km more to go towards transition. Along the mainroad leading to transition, there were so many cars as the police tried to regulate traffic and help the runners cross the road to Seaview Hotel. I had to slow down and at one time, a motorbike actually stopped in front of me and block my path. I had to stop my bike and make a detour. I finished the bike leg in 6:47:12 (average speed 27.5kmh, droped from 29kmh at the beginning). By now the clock time is 8:21. I was quite satisfied with this as I had targetted for a 6:45 bike leg. If I am able to run a good marathon (sub-5h), I would be able to do a 13-h Ironman.
Transition 2
  • 08m 10s
Comments:

Upon dismounting from the bike, the officials helped to put my bike back to the rack and I looked for my run bag. Inside the change tent, I saw some Singaporeans resting inside, sitting on the chairs. Among them are a few whom I often see at MacRitchie on Monday afternoons. They were sitting and resting and chatting to one another. I said Hi to them, get changed into my running attire, put some vaseline and went to the toilet before starting the run. The clothes and shoes are so hot as the run bag has been under the sun for so long. Every item is hot. I took about 8 minutes for T2. As I exit the change tent, I saw one race official in red shirt collapsed near the water station outside. I think she fainted. I had not known what the temperature is and did not ask. It was until at the customs when a customs officer told us the temperature went up to 40deg C. One ANZA cycling member said 43deg C. Even the locals complained it was an exceptionally hot day. After going to the toilet, I washed my face and started the run.
Run
  • 6h 35m 27s
  • 42.19 kms
  • 09m 22s  min/km
Comments:

had did some calculation, that I do not need to run any pace faster than 6min/km. That would be a 4:12 marathon. So I went slow and easy and it felt comfortable except my quads are tight and cramping. I did not pee much while in the toilet, and now looking back, it was already a bad sign that I have not been drinking much. I also realised that after a while, I wasn't sweating much. When I reached Seaview Hotel, I was still feeling rather good, and it gave me confidence. I covered the first 1km just below 7min, which is good for me.

From transition to Seaview Hotel is 1.1km. After that we are to run 4 loops of 10km each. I divide the loop into 2 portions, like an 'L' shape. At the corner of the 'L' is a traffic light which we have to turn right. After the right turn, there is a gradual slope and this portion is about 3.5km to the U turn. We are to run 4 laps of 10km from Seaview to this U turn. The distance to and from transition/finish is about 2.2km. As I make the right turn, the heat began to make its impact. I really felt hot and my legs grew tired. And I realised I wasn't sweating much. I take water and electrolyte drinks at the water stations (every 1km) but I felt full and bloated after a while. I had took a powergel soon after leaving transition, and during the run, I was looking for powergel at the water stations, but there was none (I only saw powergels on the 2nd lap at the further U turn). After the first U turn, 6km into the run, I began to take more walk breaks. I took another powergel but I don’t feel the appetite to take in any food/drinks. Before that I told myself I will only walk at aid stations, and in between them, I will run. I felt my HR go up and speed slowing down. I didn't realised that it was a sign of heat stress until much later when I realised I was not able to get out of it. My quads start to cramp and I had to stop every now and then to stretch. Taking water is no use as I felt like throwing up if I drink too much. I was labouring. Some of the Pros are really flying and running very strongly, even though I can still see that the heat is also killing them.

As I reached the 5km mark, I met Stephen again, but as I approach the 9km mark, I saw him again, reverse direction. He was still running well. Along the way, I also saw Eugene and he smiled at me saying he is having a bad day. George is also struggling running in the heat. I saw Jacqueline finishing her cycling at Seaview as I was running into my 2nd km. Eileen Chai is outside Condo Istana near Seaview and gave some encouragement. I also remembered seeing a caucasian women wearing light blue running quite strongly. Then during my 2nd lap at one of the water station, she collapsed and was put on a stretcher. By then it is probably past 5pm, but yet the sun felt like 3pm. I was looking at my watch during my run and looking out for Aziz completing his bike. As the time rolls from 10:05 to 10:19 to 10:22, I had yet to see him and I realized that he will probably not make the cut off. When I saw him, it was during my second lap of the run, and the time says 10:42. It is already beyond the cut off of 10:30.

On the way back, a roadside supporter saw me struggling with a tired face and said "It's ok, enjoy the race! You still have a lot of time." The 2nd lap had felt like forever and it is my slowest. First lap I took 1:24:47, second lap1:48:29. I had resigned to fate that I will not be able to recover from the state that I am in. The cramps fail to disappear and my stomach fails to absorb the fluids that I tried to take. I couldn’t run any faster than a trot. When I drink too much, I started to puke. I actually puke 3 times during the whole run. During the 3rd lap the weather cooled down a bit except for some sections where there is still sun. I took 1:39:38 for my 3rd lap. Saw Aziz at Seaview and he took some pictures for me. Spoke to him for a while as I walked. He said after this run I can have a good meal, but I said " I cant eat anything now". Earning that 3rd rubber band is so tough, and I know that I cannot give up now after completing 30km of the marathon. No matter what, I have to complete the race. So I said "The time is not important now, I will just finish the race." And I know I will be able to finish it within 17hrs. At the least I can still walk the entire way and still with time leftover. So I began my 4th and last lap of the run telling myself I will not take more than 10min for each km. Before that I have been taking about 10min to complete 1km. Before I started running, I told Aziz that I will finish around slightly over 15hours (my estimatation).

It was already dark by now, maybe past 8 o'clock. There are not many people left in the marathon course. Along the way, there is one guy wearing a white singlet - I think he is a Singaporean and a caucasian woman dressed in orange. We were very close one another throughout the last 10km. But along the way, each took turn to pull away. This guy did a lot of running but when he stopped to walk, he walked quite slowly. I tried to run and walk alternately, stopping only when I cannot continue to run, or when the cramps start to appear. On the other hand, this lady walked thoughout the way, and she really can walk fast. When I run, I would overtake her, but when I walk, she will pass me again. I tried to walk behind her following her speed of walking, but it was really brisk and gradually a gap always opened. I reach the U turn first but on the way back as I approach the Bridge leading to Seaview, she passed me again as I was walking. She said "Come'on you can do it, 2 kilometres more to go". As she passed me, she turned her head a few times to see if I was trying to go with her. But I was not. When I finally reach Seaview again, the clock reads 14:55. I finished the last lap in 1:32:33. I tried to run most of the way during the final kilometre, and I do not see anyone in front or behind me. I cant remember what happened to the guy in white singlet. I think he is behind me. As I reached the main road, I jogged all the way to the Eagle Square to the finish line. The road is filled with spectators and it felt like everyone is looking at you. It was a great feeling. As I near the finish, saw Eileen and Jacqueline by the side and they called my name. I waved at the crowd on both sides, tried to smile and jogged all the way and raised both hands as I crossed the tape. Finally the race is over. Aziz is there taking pictures. I finished my last km in 10:05. I had run a very slow marathon time of 6:35:27, mostly consists of walking. My Finish time is 15:04:59.

Post race
Warm down:

After crossing the finish line, an official immediately came up to me and awarded me with a finisher medal and congratulated me. At the same time, he wrapped a finisher towel around me and asked if I needed to see a doctor. I said no. Then he ushered me to the medical tent where my body weight is taken. I weigh 55kg with my running shoes on. I had lost 3kg. The other time in 2004 I lost 4kg. Some of my friends I remembered, they lost 6kg.

After taking my weight, another official asked if i wanted to have a massage, if I do, I'd take a shower at the shower point before going to have the massage. I decided not to as I remembered the last time they massaged me till both my calves cramped up. I was still sober but very drained. I wanted to have the salty onion soup (I remembered thay have it back in 2004) but it's not ready. Waited for quite some time and decided to just go and collect my stuff and go have some food elsewhere. Aziz, Stephen and I took a slow walk to the jetty, collected our bikes and belongings and went to the nearby hawker centre to eat. But even at this time, I do not have appetite to eat anything although I feel an empty stomach. I ordered maggie mee and only ate a bit and drank the soup. When we reach back the hotel, the appetite came back a bit and I was able to finish a cup of maggie noodles.

Event comments:

Very disappointed with the run. Heat stress.

Last updated: 2007-03-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:26:46 | 3800 meters | 02m 17s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/86
Overall: 315/551
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 07:25
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
06:47:12 | 180.2 kms | 26.55 km/hr
Overall: 345/551
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: Rolling hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 08:10
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
06:35:27 | 42.19 kms | 09m 22s  min/km
Overall: 413/551
Performance: Bad
Course:
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 1
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-03-05 8:55 AM

User image

Singapore
Subject: Ironman Langkawi

2007-03-05 10:10 AM
in reply to: #711431

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Ironman Langkawi

You still finished and didn't give up on the run.  So even though it may not be nearly as fast as last time, you still made it to the end.

Congrats Ironman!!

2007-03-05 10:17 AM

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA

Brutal run...but you survived!  Better hydration and fairer conditions will help for next time.   I'm just impressed that you kept with it and made it all the way through the 140.6 miles in a single day.   WOW!!!!  You truly have an iron will to accomplish that in those conditions.

2007-03-05 10:45 AM

User image

Master
Chelmsford, Massachusetts
I love reading IM race reports.  Way to stick it out in that heat!!  Congrats!!
2007-03-05 2:46 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Great RR.  Way to persevere in the conditions!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Langkawi Rss Feed