General Discussion Race Reports! » Escape Velocity Spring Series - Race 1 River Road Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Escape Velocity Spring Series - Race 1 River Road - CycleRoad Race

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Fort Langley, British Columbia
Canada
Escape Velocity/dEVo
8C / 46F
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 20m
Overall Rank = 15?/85?
Age Group = None
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Arrived at the location very early. Sign up was supposed to open at 9:00, but actually opened a bit early, maybe 8:45. Chitchatted with some others and registered.

Ate a bowl of vector for breakfast.

Some chocolate covered coffee beans in the car before the race.
Event warmup:

Some laps of the course with Kristine and Neena and others that we came up to. Ran through my gears to make sure they were all working.

Ate a banana before I started and drank a bit of eload.
Bike
  • 1h 25m
  • 56 kms
  • 39.53 km/hr
Comments:

Before the race began I took care not to walk in the mud too much as it would gum up my cleats. I also kicked the mud off and clipped out and in a bunch of times to make sure the cleats are functional. Not that it is a big deal. You only clip in once and that's done.

Staged near the middle to the front of the pack. I think there were about 85 people in our pack, but really that's just a guess. First lap felt slow. Somehow got to the middle/back of the pack. I couldn't even see the front.

Some guy kept riding up over the yellow line getting to the front and attacking. Pretty funny actually.

Pace felt really comfortable for the whole race actually. Such a big pack. Riding 3/4 up, so it's hard to move up. I know I need practice on that, but realistically I don't need that much practice as a women's race is 40 people max and 25 people usually.

There was a crash in the front middle of the pack on the 4th or 5th lap, so I was glad I wasn't there. I was behind the crash. Both Marsha and Connie went down as well as about 3-4 other people. I had to swerve around and then I stopped a bit to see if Marsha was all right. I yelled at her, but she didn't answer. I saw she was moving around though so I made the decision to continue with the race.

I had to work my ass off to get up to the pack now as it was completely split in 2. It was really stupid actually. The guys that were in front of the crash were saying, "go, go, go" and using that as an opportunity to attack. I almost yelled at them to wait, but I didn't. Stupid.

Neena got left behind. During that lap, I saw Theresa spectating, so I yelled at her to go check on Marsha. On the next lap, she told me that Marsha was all right.

Then the next lap, Marsha was in again. I hung around the back and chatted with Marsha to see if she was all right. She told me she was getting more and more sore. Then we rounded a corner and we fell off. No big deal. The pace felt pretty relaxed. I tried to pull Marsha back up, but she fell off and then told me she was going to quit because she was sore. I saw her at the end of the race and I was glad she quit. We didn't know it then, but her helmet was split so she shouldn't have been racing.

I hung out at the back after that because our pack was considerably thinned, maybe 40-50 people and it was impossible to pass and stay on the right of the yellow. I passed in some corners, but I took a couple kind of badly. On reflection, I don't know if it was me or others around me that were taking crazy lines. The sketchiest guy ever (identified on Saturday) was in my pack and close to me a couple times. That sucked.

I pretty much cruised until the bell lap. The 2nd lap before the bell, there was a bit of a break after the Turn 3, but the rest of the pack caught up (not surprisingly). The bell lap came and the pace picked up a bit. I hung in and it really picked up around turn 4. Then the sprint was on. I just thought I'd give the sprint a shot even though I was closer to the back of the main pack, maybe 35ish people. So I just kept pedalling and watching my HR going up and up and up. I honestly felt quite fine though, so as I was watching it going up, I just watched myself going by all the people. Finished pretty close to the winners. I estimately I was about 15th, but really who knows.

My team coach came up to me afterwards and said he was so proud. He said that I did really well and told me I was the 1st woman. I did see another Giant girl cross the line before me though, so I wasn't the 1st woman, maybe the 2nd. All cool. I was pretty happy. Especially when Elmer told David and Colin that I did really well.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. Maybe go closer to the front, but I'd rather be safe than win. Not sure I'll think about it next year, but maybe I'll race in the Bs next year.
Post race
Warm down:

Rode on the trainer for 25 minutes, but it was a bit hard to do at first because there was a lot of mud on it.

Marsha took pictures of me cooling down.

Wanted to get off the trainer to watch the finish of Laura's race and David's race which I did have time to catch.

Post race activities were in the pub. :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing. Okay maybe wanting to stay safe.

Event comments:

The marshals sometimes let too many cars on the course, but what eva.

Pub was an awesome post race activity. Just wish I had the forethought to invite Laura.

Last updated: 2007-03-05 12:00 AM
Biking
01:25:00 | 56 kms | 39.53 km/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 15/85?
Performance: Good
Didn't record my HR even though I wore my monitor. Warm up was done around 135/140. Looked at in in the final sprint and got it up to 198.
Wind: Some
Course: Some wind on River Road and after turn one, but it wasn't too bad. Not as windy as last year or as windy as it can be. Pretty perfect conditions actually. Course is as flat as it is going to get. A 6.2km circuit with 4 corners. I rode in the Cs, so we did 9 laps. The pavement on the after turn 3 is a bit rough, but everyone goes wide around the corner and I actually don't mind riding on rough pavement. I couldn't rate the road surface as some of the roads were smooth, some were rough and there were some potholes, so all of the above, even some gravel. :) It was also wet and dry conditions. Dry on the front strech and wet on the back as it was shadier there and the roads hadn't dried.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-03-05 12:29 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Subject: Escape Velocity Spring Series - Race 1 River Road
Guess I need to change my sig. 1st race of the season is done!

Edited by jeng 2007-03-05 12:29 PM

2007-03-05 12:40 PM
in reply to: #711873

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-03-05 4:46 PM

Sydney Australia
Subject:
2007-03-05 10:49 PM

Extreme Veteran
North Vancouver, British Columbia
Subject: RE: Escape Velocity Spring Series - Race 1 River Road
Pretty cool!
2007-03-08 9:24 PM

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Nice job Jen.  What group did you race in? 
2007-03-09 11:23 AM
in reply to: #716822

Pro
Vancouver, BC

Hey Jeff,

I raised in the C group. I did the same race with the Cs last year and I found it much easier this year. The pace seemed pretty easy for the most part except a couple sprints here and there. I guess next year it's on to the Bs.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Escape Velocity Spring Series - Race 1 River Road Rss Feed