General Discussion Race Reports! » Escape Velocity Spring Series - Race 3 Armstrong Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Escape Velocity Spring Series - Race 3 Armstrong - CycleRoad Race

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Fort Langley, British Columbia
Canada
Escape Velocity/dEVo
12C / 54F
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 05m
Overall Rank = 10?/30?
Age Group = N/A
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up and got my stuff together. Wasn't difficult as it was hanging up and airing out after the race yesterday. Had blueberry pancakes for breakfast.
Event warmup:

It rained like never before! In Vancouver, that is saying something. It was raining really really hard. Registered and got the gear together while trying to stay dry. Warmed up in my rain cape by doing a lap of the course with Heather. God I hate that hill. Got up the hill just in time for staging.

I could feel the pulled muscle in my butt a bit, but it was much better than yesterday.
Bike
  • 2h 05m
  • 53 kms
  • 25.44 km/hr
Comments:

By the time the race started I was already throughly soaked. I decided to leave my rain cape on as it seemed a lot of others were. Besides I had absolutely no expectations for this race. I really just wanted to finish and use it as a hard training day. I wished Marsha luck at the beginning of the race in case I wasn't going to see her again.

The race started out fairly quickly. It's starts at the top of the hill, so the downhill comes pretty quickly. There weren't a lot of people in this race. I think only the good climbers come out (this race scares off most people) and I think these people are more experienced. Hence the peleton's cornering is really steady and is like a completely different race than yesterday.

I had a really bad start. When I got to the downhill, I noticed my cleat wasn't completely engaged and I had to clip in again, but it was so wet, my shoe kept slipping on my pedal. Went down the hill 150m away from the pack and was at the very back with only May close to me. Got to the bottom of the hill and had to chase my way up. Passed May and told her to grab on, but she couldn't. Almost caught, but couldn't quite. Worked really hard and was dead when I rounded the corner of Armstrong. Decided to ride my own race and just was going to finish that hill 7 times which was my plan all along. Only May was behind me. Then a passed 3 girls and May passed me near the top. I could see Neena up ahead.

Actually felt pretty good up the hill that time. It was tough but it was probably the fastest I've climbed it. Got to the top of the hill and worked really hard on the flats. I could see Neena just ahead of May on the downhill. Worked hard when we got to River Road and I caught Neena and May. Started chatting to Neena and May got a bit ahead. Neena and I decided we'd ride the rest of the race together as it would be more fun that way.

Rode up the hill with Neena and then did more of the same for the next few laps. I kept dropping Neena on the flats at the top of the hill and on River Road. She told me I could go ahead, but I said it would be more fun together, so I waited for her. We went up the hills at about the same pace. Sometimes I'd wait. It was quite amusing actually. The rain was just pounding down and so many people were quitting the race. Everywhere on the course it was just one rider here or one rider there. Crazy times.

We got lapped by the Bs near the top of the hill on the big corner with the puddle. I had to stay very far right on the corner when they lapped me and it was hear that I discovered I could ride through the puddle (there was no pothole) and I didn't have to go around it.

Neena and I got lapped by the C pack which was about 6 guys at that time with 3 laps to go, so they told us we only had 2 more laps to go which is what often happens if you get lapped by your pack. You just finish a lap down. So we discussed quitting after 2 or going for 3 more and we decided we'd try to do all 7 laps.

When 1.5 laps to go (2 more times up the hill) I was pulling Neena along the flats as usual and I dropped her. I looked back and I couldn't even see her anymore, so I decided to continue along by myself. Got lapped by the Bs again up the hill. My legs were tired. Funny though I could really push myself along the flats. I found that out about myself again today, I am proportionately stronger when it comes to flats as I could keep up with B or A riders that were dropped after they passed me on the descent and I wasn't drafting them. However I couldn't keep up with them and they got way away on the hill.

Poor Marsha, she got a flat on the furtherest part of the course and had to walk all the way around and back up Armstrong hill with her bike. It took her 3 laps. That is I passed her 3 times before she got up the hill. :(

Then suddenly it was my last, 7th, time up the hill and I knew I just had to finish. My legs were barely moving at this point. I was going 6-8km/hr on the hill. I could barely turn my legs. Then I got to the top. I estimating my placing as 10th as I think most people quit. :)
What would you do differently?:

Try to stay with the group for longer.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing. Got changed as quickly as I could as I was completely soaked. It was difficult to put my pants on it was so wet. By the time I got changed and cleaned up the car a bit, noticed David was finished. Got his and Colin's (who finished shortly afterwards) gear in order, waited for them to change and headed home. It was way to wet to do any sort of cool down or stretching. I don't think anyone did.

Felt like I should reward myself, so I ate an apple pie and hot chocolate from McDonalds on the way home. Colin, David and I ate everything we had in the car. Potatos, bananas, sandwiches and apples. Got home and rented a movie and ate ice cream and a couple of slow pokes. Relaxed the rest of the day was pretty sore.

My knee hurt a tiny little bit. It was my right knee which was funny because I felt my left knee on the last two laps. Butt was feeling a bit sore, but not too bad.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Sucking at hills. :) Being a bit catious on the steep windy descents in the rain. I seriously have to get better at that.

Event comments:

I had a surprisingly good time doing this course because I had no expectations and it was cool to keep seeing people dropping out and knowing that you just had to finish. Rode with Neena most of the time which was kind of nice. This race felt Epic.

Last updated: 2007-03-12 12:00 AM
Biking
02:05:00 | 53 kms | 25.44 km/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 10/30?
Performance: Average
Didn't record it, but was about 168 most of the time up the hill.
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: The start/finish is on top of Armstrong hill about 350m before the right turn on 80th Ave. After turning right on 80th Ave (through a really large puddle), turn right on 240th Street, 240th Street begins the windy downhill, turning right on Rawlison Cr, then winding left back onto 240th Street. Wind right on 88th Ave then wind left on 240th Street. Turn Right on River Road. Stay on River Road until you get to the Armstrong hill. Armstrong hill is a 3 km stepped climb, the first step being 12% grade, then levelling out and then two steps of about a 6% or 7% grade.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-03-12 12:18 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Subject: Escape Velocity Spring Series - Race 3 Armstrong

I wasn't the only one who thought it was epic. From the website:

Race #3: River Road Circuit Race - March 11, 2007

The third race of the dEVo Spring Road Race series was held on the climbers delight Armstrong course under epic raining and windy conditions. The 3 km stepped climb on the 7 km loop saw all groups finish with solo riders or very small bunch sprints. Despite the horrific conditions there were 110 riders spread fairly evenly across the three groups.

Ah and more about the punishment:

Weekend Update: world-famous Armstrong punishes all comers 

Edited by jeng 2007-03-12 12:20 PM

2007-03-12 12:45 PM
in reply to: #719994

User image

Extreme Veteran
Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Subject: RE: Escape Velocity Spring Series - Race 3 Armstrong
Well done, Jen! I don't know how you do it...must have been so cold.

Sounds intense...but way to stick it out!
2007-03-13 6:17 AM
in reply to: #719994

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Escape Velocity Spring Series - Race 3 Armstrong Rss Feed