General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Baby & First Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-03-12 9:25 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Baby & First Tri
Hello-
I'm a newbie. Mom of an 18 month old. Going to participate in my first sprint tri in May. I do not have the luxury of a lot of time training outdoors..but do train very hard at the gym. I'm running a 10 minute mile, biking 12 miles 35-40 minutes, and swimming a 500 in 8m30sec. Can I really count on my abilities in the gym to translate to the outdoors?? (I sometimes run outside..but it is SO different with the jogging stroller).
Thanks.

2007-03-12 9:31 PM
in reply to: #720748

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
Subject: RE: Baby & First Tri

First of all welcome to BT and to the sport of triathlon! To answer your question.....maybe, probably, would be best if you could get outside. My wife and I have a 3 1/2 yr old and a 7 month old and she is trying to get back in shape and do a couple of races this year as well. She is in much the same position as you are (for example the nice shiney new bike I bought for her a month ago has yet to see the outside), what we try to do (and it isn't always successful) is schedule times where she can get her workouts in around my workout schedule (sounds very selfish I know but this is my job!).

My advice is try to get your Significant Other to watch the little tyke for a few hours a week while you go train. Another option is ask a relative or neighbor if they would mind watching him/her while you go get in some training. It takes alot of scheduling but it can be done.

Good Luck!

2007-03-12 9:39 PM

User image

New user

Thanks for the reply. I am working toward the "My First Tri" at Lake Lanier. I see that you are nearby.
I am really trying to get outdoors. As dear as my husband is...he works too much. Lots of travel and Saturdays in the office. He tries but I just really wanted to get some opinions on the reality of my success with only a few weekends outside!!!
Since you are from the area...will I need a wet suit in early May???...just moved here!! Many thanks.
2007-03-12 9:53 PM

User image

Master
Long Island, NY

Honeybee25 - 2007-03-12 10:25 PM Hello- I'm a newbie. Mom of an 18 month old. Going to participate in my first sprint tri in May. I do not have the luxury of a lot of time training outdoors..but do train very hard at the gym. I'm running a 10 minute mile, biking 12 miles 35-40 minutes, and swimming a 500 in 8m30sec. Can I really count on my abilities in the gym to translate to the outdoors?? (I sometimes run outside..but it is SO different with the jogging stroller). Thanks.

It sure better!!  I started in Nov 2006 and, because of similar issues, despite training more than 800 miles since I started, I have never been more than 50 feet from where I started (except for 1 outdoor ride where I fell trying to unclip).  Swim is in 50 foot pool, bike is on trainer, and run is on treadmill! Your #'s are very similar to mine, so I'm hoping they translate into some kind of success.  I am taking  a mental health day Wednesday to finally bike outside, I'll let you know how it goes.

2007-03-12 11:30 PM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Hi there! I have a 15 month-old!  Aren't they a HANDFUL?? hehe I have a boy... you?  Mine is a little terminator, I have to schedule my training around his naps and such.... it's hard, I know.  Your times are great, you will do just fine!
2007-03-13 6:51 AM

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,

Hi there... your times look great, I'd bet you'd finish with no problem.  That said, it would still behoove you to get outside.  Wind, hills, that sort of thing... are hard to simulate indoors.

I've done my winter training on the treadmill, and the trainer, and finally got outside for a run last Sunday.  Completely different... the loop I run has a large hill on it, which the treadmill did not prepare me for.  As a result, I have very achy quads at the moment.

Even if you can't do most of your training outside, I highly recommend getting out as much as you can to more closely simulate race conditions. 

2007-03-13 9:46 AM

User image

Calgary

The jogging stroller is a great way to negative split your times! I'm a father of a 4 month old, my wife and I ran this weekend, we did 18kms together (I pushed the chariot), then she fed and stuff in the car while I tacked on an addition 6kms. Seemed to work well. I felt super strong without the chariot at the end, I look at pushing it as great training, not to mention I absolutely love pushing my daughter in it.

Your times look good, are you doing the running on a track or treadmill? if it's a track you shouldn't have an issue transferring to the out of doors, but if you're treadmill, you need to log some outside mileage.

The biking time is good as well, but on a stationary (lifecycle), spin-bike, or your bike? I find that the hardest transition is biking indoors to outdoors personally. Doing the Spinerval DVD's on my bike (on a stationary trainer), really seemed to help my transition for basement to pavement last year.

As others have mentioned, it's tough with a baby to find hours to train, you have to make sure the hours that you do train are worthwhile. It sounds like you're making them count. Just try to vary your workouts up so that you're not going for a PB everytime swim or run. Do sprints, intervals, base sessions, etc.

brad.

Edited by bradk 2007-03-13 9:47 AM
2007-03-13 10:53 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-03-13 11:05 AM

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, SC
We have a 7 year old, 5 year old and 2 1/2 year old. I do most of my training indoors due to work restraints and my husband's schedule. The most important in my opinion to try to do some outdoors for is the biking. You don't need a lot, just once every couple weeks to get a feel for the road. You'll do great!
2007-03-13 12:18 PM
in reply to: #720760

Master
Winder, GA

Honeybee25 - 2007-03-12 10:39 PM Since you are from the area...will I need a wet suit in early May???...just moved here!! Many thanks.

I live in the area too, and you'll probably see some folks with wetsuits but it's such a short swim I wouldn't worry too much about it. I know last year in May at the Yargo sprint (weekend after My First Tri) there were some folks wearing them but the water was actually warmer than the air at the beginning of the race.

I'm also in a similar situation because I have an almost 5yo and an 18 month old. Except for swimming, a lot of my training is close to home. I'm lucky enough to have a bike trainer and a treadmill at home so I can do those 2 at home if I need to; although I enjoy training outside much more! Do you have someone you can swap sitting with? Can your husband watch the baby for a couple of hours one day during the weekend? Do you have a program like Mother's Morning Out that you can take the baby to? (I do this every Wednesday so I can go run)

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do great!

Mindy

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Baby & First Tri Rss Feed