United States
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 23m 36s
Overall Rank = 130/187
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5am, had some Oatmeal and a banana. Double checked my bag to ensure I had all the essentials. Loaded up the bike and headed to the race site around 6am.
Event warmup:

Got to event, after reattaching my front wheel the brake was rubbing on tire. Had LBS guys adjust that and they added some air to the tires. Got bike and transition area set-up ended up having to put my bike upside down, the big fat mountain bike tire wouldn't fit in the rack. Walked around for a bit, checked out the lake water. Was really concerned about the temp, but it wasn't bad at all.. Not too much of a warm-up, probably should have gotten in the water..Had a Gu gel just before start of race, thought I had one more wave before mine should done the gu sooner.
Swim
  • 10m 40s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 40s / 100 meters
Comments:

Ok, my swim totaly sucked!!! I ended up doing breaststroke for about 90% of the race. I just couldn't every seem to catch my breath. Then when I would start going well, I get a someone not swimming straight and then I couldn't get enough speed to get around them. Not sure what the problem was, I think the combination of not having been in the lake before and not really swimming with people all around me, kind of freaked me out.
What would you do differently?:

Need to get more open water swims in, and get used to swimming with people all around me.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

There are no transition times, both T1 and T2 times are included in the bike segment. I felt I did a good job in T1, except for the part where we had to run up a hill at the end of the swim.. When I got to the top of the hill ended up needing to walk the rest of the distance to my bike to catch my breath. I would guess my T1 time was about 3-4 minutes.. Had some difficulty running and jumping on my bike.

i think this went well, need to get some different tires on my bike eventually so I don't have to turn it over to get on it..Do a few more true swim/bike bricks this one kicked my butt more than the bike/run did..
Bike
  • 46m 38s
  • 11 miles
  • 14.15 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike went really well, didn't have any problems, passed some people. I think I was able to maintain a pretty steady pace. Course was nice and flat, they had police at intersections so we could just continue through. There were a few sharp turns as we headed back though the park, and out the parking lot on each lap. Had one Gu Gel on Bike at begginning of 3rd lap.

Need to put some slicks on my MTB.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Again no Transition time. Had some trouble getting bike gloves off, probably should have just left them on. Sliped on singlet top and race number belt and was off. Decided at last minute no to take fuel belt with water on run. They were suppose to have 2 water stations ended up only being really one.

Leave bike gloves on or figure out how to get them off quicker. Take fuel belt with water.
Run
  • 26m 17s
  • 2.5 miles
  • 10m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Run went well, anything under 11 minutes miles is good for me.. There was one kind of medium size hill towards the end. They had said the one aid station would be accessiable on the way in and the way out, but unless you wanted to run out of you way it wasn't accessiable on the way back. I couldn't have used a little more water. Should have used my own fuel belt. The run ended on the sandy beach, nothing like swimming/biking/running and then having to run the last 50yards in SAND, I felt like I was never going to finish.

Take my own water!!!!
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some water, walked around to catch my breath for a bit. They had a nice spread of sandwich makings, salads, and muffins. So made a sandwich and had a couple muffins and more water. stretched a bit. Discovered I had dropped my ID earlier in the day when they announced it over the PA, yikes hadn't realized that. Hung around a little bit talked with my co-worker who came to cheer me on for a bit. Headed home. Discovered when I got back to my bike, my front tire is flat.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training in open water. Since I only decided about 3 1/2 weeks prior to the race to do it, I just never found the time to get out in the lake prior to the race, this really affected my swim.

Event comments:

I think I did pretty good for my first tri. I still would have like to do a better swim and know I am capable of one.

Thanks to all the other BT's for this site and message boards, I honestly can say that I don't think I would have done as well with out having found this site. Reading everyone else's experiences helped me tremendously!!! Thank you!!!

Last updated: 2004-08-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:40 | 400 meters | 02m 40s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/187
Performance: Average
Suit: Swim/Tri shorts
Course: Counter clock wise triangular swim, in Lake.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:46:38 | 11 miles | 14.15 mile/hr
Overall: 135/187
Wind: Little
Course: 3-loop course though the city. Was pretty flat
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:26:17 | 02.5 miles | 10m 31s  min/mile
Overall: 117/187
Course: Out and back course on trail through park. Some small hills. Ended on sandy beach at lake
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-08-26 3:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area, CA
Subject: Mermaid Triathlon/Duathlon

2004-08-26 7:25 PM
in reply to: #53866

User image

Veteran
Southern Ohio
Subject: RE: Mermaid Triathlon/Duathlon
Congratulations on your first Tri! You did great!!
2004-08-26 7:37 PM

User image

Subject: RE: Mermaid Triathlon/Duathlon
Way to go and battle through the swim.
2004-08-29 7:52 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mermaid Triathlon/Duathlon Rss Feed