General Discussion Race Reports! » Sarasota Marathon Grouper Run - Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Sarasota Marathon Grouper Run - Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Sarasota, Florida
United States
Sarasota Marathon
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 07m 26s
Overall Rank = 620/1540
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 28/56
Run
  • 2h 07m 26s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

That bridge kicked my ass! I really hit a wall about 10.5 miles in. My quads locked up so tight...worse than ever before. Lactic Acid?
What would you do differently?:

Be more leisurely on the bridge.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk, stretch, lie on shady, cold, cement sidewalk and stare at trees above me.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

That damn bridge.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-03-23 12:00 AM
Running
02:07:26 | 13.1 miles | 09m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 28/56
Overall: 620/1540
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-03-23 2:26 PM

User image

St. Petersburg, Fl
Subject: Sarasota Marathon Grouper Run - Half Marathon

2007-03-24 2:11 AM
in reply to: #734865

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Subject: RE: Sarasota Marathon Grouper Run - Half Marathon

Hey, you did it!  And great job, even with the Damn Bridge!

Thoughts on the cramping - have you tried focusing on electrolyte replacement?  That might help...

2007-03-24 3:46 AM
in reply to: #735380

User image

St. Petersburg, Fl
I do have some electrolyte supplements, but I haven't been great about taking them consistently. That probably would have helped. Hopefully I won't have the same problem during the Escape From Ft. DeSoto next month. No bridge at least.
2007-03-24 8:15 PM
in reply to: #735389

User image

Regular
Tampa Bay Area, FL
The bridge kicked my butt too!! I did the full marathon, so I had to do the bridge twice (I'm not sure how many times you went over it in the half). The second time, mile #15 was at the very top...it was like the mile marker was mocking me the whole way up!

Overall, I thought that was a great race. It was my first, so I don't have much to compare it to, but I loved it.
2007-03-25 2:28 AM
in reply to: #735738

User image

St. Petersburg, Fl
mlbwalk - 2007-03-24 9:15 PM

The bridge kicked my butt too!! I did the full marathon, so I had to do the bridge twice (I'm not sure how many times you went over it in the half). The second time, mile #15 was at the very top...it was like the mile marker was mocking me the whole way up!

Overall, I thought that was a great race. It was my first, so I don't have much to compare it to, but I loved it.

Kudos for doing the entire marathon. Did you marathoners do the bridge twice...as in over and back twice, crossing it 4 times? That's just nutz. I crossed it twice, out and then back. That was enough to kick my arse. I think we first hit it about 6 miles into the race...then back again within the next mile. Every mile marker from then on was laughing at me. Can't say I loved the course, but I can say I loved completing it. This was a pretty big goal I set for myself a few months back. Now I'm preparing for my first Tri...and NO Bridge!
2007-03-25 2:28 AM
in reply to: #735738

User image

St. Petersburg, Fl
mlbwalk - 2007-03-24 9:15 PM

Kudos for doing the entire marathon. Did you marathoners do the bridge twice...as in over and back twice, crossing it 4 times? That's just nutz. I crossed it twice, out and then back. That was enough to kick my arse. I think we first hit it about 6 miles into the race...then back again within the next mile. Every mile marker from then on was laughing at me. Can't say I loved the course, but I can say I loved completing it. This was a pretty big goal I set for myself a few months back. Now I'm preparing for my first Tri...and NO Bridge!

2007-03-25 10:59 AM
in reply to: #735855

User image

Regular
Tampa Bay Area, FL
We went over it around mile 6, then came back across at mile 15. I guess I didn't realize the half even went over the bridge...when the halfers broke off, we crossed the bridge, and it looked like they ran underneath the bridge.

I did kind of the same thing...ran the marathon, then set the sights on a tri. It's all my celebration for finishing my master's...but instead of walking across the stage, I'm running 26.2 and then doing .25M/9M/2M. It's just a sprint for my first, but I think it will be the start of much more

I actually got to go watch a tri for the first time today, out at Ft. DeSoto--very inspiring.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sarasota Marathon Grouper Run - Half Marathon Rss Feed