General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bumps in the bike path... and my wheels :( Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-03-26 6:47 AM

User image

Elite
Chicago, IL
Subject: bumps in the bike path... and my wheels :(

so, since I come from a mountain bike for years, I was never concerned about the tiny bumps here and there on the bike path...

but with my rodie .. i am now very concerned... i do not like them, and am wondering how much damage is getting done to my wheel each time I hit one   i try to avoid them as much as possible, but sometimes i can't... like a 1 or 2" raise in the asphalt on the bike path... if i see it ahead of time, i will slow down and jump it with my front wheel, but if i don't see it, boom   ... and when i come up to the bridge, i slow down so the transition from the path to the bridge is smooth, but there's always a tiny bump in there

i have the Giant OCR Composite 3 bike.... how strong are my wheels in handling these bumps?, am i doing lots of damage?

2007-03-26 8:27 AM
in reply to: #736600

Regular
TX
Subject: RE: bumps in the bike path... and my wheels :(
I am going to bump this because I have the same question. My rides are normally on country "backroads" and I get some pot holes, patches on top of patches, even a little of my normal course is on what would almost be considered a loose rock or "dirt" road. I have never flatted out yet, but I do wonder what kind of damage I am doing to my wheels while my teeth are chattering from the rough ride. I, too and interested in how tough wheels and tires are on roadies. Thanks.
2007-03-26 8:29 AM

User image

over a barrier
The Chicago Lafe Front path? I haven't had any problems, you learn where the nasty ones are pretty quickly. I only flatted once last year and it was running over a stick of all things...
2007-03-26 9:22 AM

User image

Pro
Hailey, ID

I might not be an expert, but here is my opinion.

1.  Keep your tires at the right PSI and damage is pretty unlikely.

2.  If you see an unavoidable bump, get out of the saddle to reduce the impact.

3.  If you aren't on carbon rims, you're probably fine. 

2007-03-26 11:03 AM

User image

Master
Katy, TX (West of Houston)

I will ask this question only because I have to ask:

Why can't you ride your road bike in the road?

Maybe stay off the paths.

That "might" solve you bump problem.

2007-03-26 12:28 PM

User image

Master
West Jordan, UT

If your tires are fully inflated, it should prevent you from impacting the rim.   If the rim impacts, it could create a flat spot in the rim which would be difficult to repair.  If this happened you would probably get a pinch flat.  It would be hard enough that you  would know something was wrong.    Wheels are very stong vertically, so hitting a bump straight on is generally safe.   Don't go looking for potholes and avoid them when you can.   But, a reasonable amount of bumps are taken into account when the wheel is designed.    Check your wheels periodically to make sure they are still perfectly round and don't have too much side to side movement.  If they develop any irregularities, go have the shop true them for you. 

2007-03-26 9:31 PM
in reply to: #736970

User image

Elite
Chicago, IL
Freeswimmingfish - 2007-03-26 11:03 AM

I will ask this question only because I have to ask:

Why can't you ride your road bike in the road?

Maybe stay off the paths.

That "might" solve you bump problem.

I personally don't like to ride on the road.  I will ride on the road for races and things like that, but generally I'm not a fan of it... and don't plan to do it other than during races.  As a driver, I'm not a fan of bikes on the road either, I think it's difficult and dangereous to try to get around a biker on some of the streets around here ... so I'll stay off the streets and stay on the paths. We have a ton of very nice bike paths (except for a few of the bumps ) near my home... so seeing that's what they built them for, I will go there   I feel much safer there anyway As for the races, I'll grin and bear it... and banking on that races are done on much lighter traffic roads that what I live nearby.

not to mention, the streets have alot more bumps I'm sure!!!

Edited by pigfinn 2007-03-26 9:35 PM
2007-03-26 9:36 PM
in reply to: #737152

User image

Elite
Chicago, IL
tkbslc - 2007-03-26 12:28 PM

If your tires are fully inflated, it should prevent you from impacting the rim.   If the rim impacts, it could create a flat spot in the rim which would be difficult to repair.  If this happened you would probably get a pinch flat.  It would be hard enough that you  would know something was wrong.    Wheels are very stong vertically, so hitting a bump straight on is generally safe.   Don't go looking for potholes and avoid them when you can.   But, a reasonable amount of bumps are taken into account when the wheel is designed.    Check your wheels periodically to make sure they are still perfectly round and don't have too much side to side movement.  If they develop any irregularities, go have the shop true them for you. 

thank you!, that was very helpful

2007-03-27 12:44 AM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

Try and avoid if you can, but if you are traveling at speed some bumps are unavoidable.

Slow down if you can.

Take the bump straight ON.  Swerving may not only damage your rim, but may also cause your bike to go sideways and dump you on your butt.

Stand up in the pedals and distribute your weight between your hands and your feet.  Keep your knees and elbows flexible so your joints can absorb the shock (as they were meant to do.)

If I see a bump coming, this is what I do, if not sometimes I end up hanging on for dear life and just trying to keep the bike straight.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bumps in the bike path... and my wheels :( Rss Feed