General Discussion Race Reports! » Escape Velocity Spring Series - Race 4 40th Ave/232nd St Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Escape Velocity Spring Series - Race 4 40th Ave/232nd St - CycleRoad Race

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Langley, British Columbia
Canada
dEVo / Escape Velocity
5C / 41F
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 50m
Overall Rank = 15?/60?
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Ate pancakes and drove out to the race course.
Event warmup:

Little warm up. It was pouring rain. Really really heavy rain. Alot of people choose to stay in their cars and stay dry and warm.

I did about 8km out and back with Anne and Marsha. Just got up the first hill and hoped that the course was flat as that's what I'd been hearing.
Bike
  • 1h 50m
  • 64 kms
  • 34.91 km/hr
Comments:

Race was 64km with a 34km/hr average and a 58.6km/hr max. This was a really good race for me. Stayed with the pack. Not many women did.

Race started and I started near the front of the pack. Noticed myself mixing it up near the front and Marsha was up there too. Anne fell off on the first hill. Pace was picking up, but I felt pretty good up the first hill. Very good cornering and I didn't fall off in the corners. Marsha told me about 3/4 the way around the first lap that Neena had fallen off. The pack was whittling away because the pace was high.

Second time up the hill was harder (Darren told me later he was trying for a break so the pace was higher.) However I kept to my hill stragegy and started the hill near the front of the pack. I then got slower and I created a bit of a gap, but 75% of the pack was behind me, so by the time they got around me, the rest of the hill was over.

Executed another couple of good corners and then I was near the front again. I noticed that the people in front of me were escheloning, so I got in on that. Then I was at the front and I kept the pace up and I noticed that Darren was with me and I had dropped everyone else. So Darren told me to take off, so him, I and one other guy would have a break. I felt okay (a bit tired), but I knew this break wouldn't succeed and then I would be really tired after it. So I had to make a quick decision, die with glory (in front) or try to keep in for the rest of the race and finish in the bunch. I know there isn't a lot of glory in the 2nd option (who wants to race for 15th place. :) but since I haven't finished many races in the group, I took the 2nd option. I told Darren that I wasn't going to give 'er. He seemed a bit disappointed. Then the pack caught us.

Darren was definitely looking like the strongest guy out there today.

So after finishing the rollers on the back side, which I surprisingly didn't find that bad, I noticed that Marsha was gone. I stayed in the mix for the rest of the lap and then beginning the 3rd lap, I noticed that the hill at the beginning was starting to hurt more and told myself I only needed to go up it one more time. I've continued using the strategy start at the front.

Kept on with the group through the rollers and noticed the group was significantly smaller. Only 2 Giant girls, Sarah N. and I for women. Not bad company.

This time up the long straigh slight uphill on 40th Ave, I was really feeling it and feeling kind of tired. Darren warned me to keep my cadence high. I was getting tired and I stupidly shifted in my 25, so I was in my 53x25. My bike skipped into my small chain ring. I had to recitify the situation, but some guy helped pull me up to the pack as I had fallen off a little bit. Then when I needed the 53 again, I think I must have shifted it hard or something and I threw my chain right off on the outside.

This required me to get off my bike and fix it. The same guy stopped with me to put my chain on and he was going to pull me up to the pack. I told him to go, but he told me he was out of the race anyway. So he pulled me up and we almost caught on, but we got stuck behind some cars and then the gap widened again and I could never quite get back on, so I rode the rest of the race by myself. I caught and passed Margaret near the end who had been dropped by the Bs. I wished I was in the bunch sprint at the end (stupid chain!), but I felt happy that I could stay with the race the whole time and that not very many people finished before me. :)
What would you do differently?:

Shift smoother so I could have been in the sprint.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much. Watched some people finish and then decided I'd better get dry and warm so I rode back to the car to change.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bike. :)

Event comments:

Felt pretty good after the race as I had stayed with the pack and Darren was pretty happy with me. Was also able to experience race tactics. Colin, David and I ate in the car and then we went to an Italian restaurant with Hans & Neena in White Rock. (The same one as last week).

Last updated: 2007-03-27 12:00 AM
Biking
01:50:00 | 64 kms | 34.91 km/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 15/60?
Performance: Good
Max speed was 58.6km/hr
Wind: Little
Course: Start Line about half way down 240th St, right on 32nd Ave, left on 232nd St which had a hill to get up, right on 24th Ave, right on 224th St, left on 20th Ave, right on 216th St which had some rolling hills, the last uphill being quite long. Turn right on 40th Ave at the top of the hill (trying to avoid the huge pothole), then a long straight stretch on 40th Ave that is a very slight uphill with a headwind, then two quick rights to wind around the freeway so you are heading south on 240th St, then right on 32nd Ave past the finish line. Each lap is 16km and the Cs do 4 laps.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-03-27 3:16 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Subject: Escape Velocity Spring Series - Race 4 40th Ave/232nd St

Really really happy with this race though I wish I could have done the race report sooner.

2 more RRs to go. :)

Edited by jeng 2007-03-27 3:17 PM

2007-03-27 7:12 PM
in reply to: #739140

User image

Master
Red Sox Nation
Subject: RE: Escape Velocity Spring Series - Race 4 40th Ave/232nd St
WOW!  You really hung in there!  Nice to have good buds to race with ... !  Hope you enjoy your season! 
2007-03-28 6:02 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-03-28 9:15 AM

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Nice job Jen.  Sounds like you could have had a fantastic race if not for the chain.  Better luck in your next one.
2007-03-30 11:26 PM

Master
Chilliwack, BC
Great job as always.
Its nice to hear you know your foe's
It give the report that much more feeling

Dan
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Escape Velocity Spring Series - Race 4 40th Ave/232nd St Rss Feed