General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swimming - path of the stroke question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-04-02 9:53 AM
in reply to: #745180

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
Subject: RE: swimming - path of the stroke question

jmickle11 - 2007-04-02 8:30 AM I've been following this thread and from reading it I must be doing something wrong. When I start my pull I'm trying to pull my hand straight back and then start my s curve with my hand underneath my chest and then moving it outward as I pull towards my hips. I'm guessing that I'm over exaggerating my curve? Could I be burning extra energy this way as I fatigue quickly?

I can't answer your question (obviously as I'm the one who started with the question) but keep in mind much of the advice above is not meant to be a complete description of the stroke.  I intentionally wanted to keep the rotation of the body out of it for simplicity's sake.  Maybe now would be a good time for the experts to add that to the discussion.  It's hard to use terms like down, back, across your chest, etc. when you aren't clear about where your chest is relative to the bottom of the pool and which way is down at the time.

2007-04-02 10:57 AM
in reply to: #745180

User image

Extreme Veteran
Horse Country
jmickle11 - 2007-04-02 9:30 AM

I've been following this thread and from reading it I must be doing something wrong. When I start my pull I'm trying to pull my hand straight back and then start my s curve with my hand underneath my chest and then moving it outward as I pull towards my hips. I'm guessing that I'm over exaggerating my curve? Could I be burning extra energy this way as I fatigue quickly?

The best way I have had it explained to me is to think about pushing yourself up out of the pool (or doing a pushup). When you do that your hands are shoulder width, or greater, apart. What I have been doing lately is swimming straight down the middle of the lane when you can and focus on keeping your arms on either side of the black line. The S curve should start out-in-out.

A few things to help track your progress ...

* Pull sets - Do alot of pull work!!!!
* Fist drill - I like to do the fist drill to teach me how to use my arms in the stroke, rather than just the hands.
* Count your strokes - Work on distance per stroke ... if I really exaggerate my stroke I can get it down to about 10 per lap.
2007-04-02 12:10 PM
in reply to: #742952

User image

Supersonicus Idioticus
Thunder Bay, ON
Want to be more confused?

You should pull in an S shape, but it will feel different because your body is rotating while you do it.

Oh, and by S shape, I emphasize the top part of the S more than the bottom.
2007-04-02 12:35 PM
in reply to: #745473

User image

Expert
Muncie, IN
grit_nugget - 2007-04-02 11:57 AM

jmickle11 - 2007-04-02 9:30 AM

I've been following this thread and from reading it I must be doing something wrong. When I start my pull I'm trying to pull my hand straight back and then start my s curve with my hand underneath my chest and then moving it outward as I pull towards my hips. I'm guessing that I'm over exaggerating my curve? Could I be burning extra energy this way as I fatigue quickly?

The best way I have had it explained to me is to think about pushing yourself up out of the pool (or doing a pushup). When you do that your hands are shoulder width, or greater, apart. What I have been doing lately is swimming straight down the middle of the lane when you can and focus on keeping your arms on either side of the black line. The S curve should start out-in-out.

A few things to help track your progress ...

* Pull sets - Do alot of pull work!!!!
* Fist drill - I like to do the fist drill to teach me how to use my arms in the stroke, rather than just the hands.
* Count your strokes - Work on distance per stroke ... if I really exaggerate my stroke I can get it down to about 10 per lap.

Actually, I had someone point out the pushup thing today. It made a difference...and I can pull all day long. It's when I'm swimming without the buoy is when everything falls apart. The s curve isn't as much as a deal as I feel like it comes naturally and actually feels easier as I rotate as this feels like it clears up a little space for me to get a good s curve in. Does this make sense?
2007-04-02 2:38 PM
in reply to: #745694

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

jmickle11 - 2007-04-02 12:35 PM Actually, I had someone point out the pushup thing today. It made a difference...and I can pull all day long. It's when I'm swimming without the buoy is when everything falls apart. The s curve isn't as much as a deal as I feel like it comes naturally and actually feels easier as I rotate as this feels like it clears up a little space for me to get a good s curve in. Does this make sense?

You might have the same problem as me and that's a weak kick combined with a poor body position.  My legs drag terribly and when kicking with a kickboard I've been known to actually go backwards.  That's not an exaggeration, BT'ers have seen it.  Learning to swim bilaterally and keeping my head lower in the water has helped my legs come up because my balance is better.  I've still got a long way to go, but I no longer skin my toes on the bottom of the pool. 

2007-04-02 11:17 PM
in reply to: #743475

User image

Veteran
Calgary
ertman - 2007-03-30 1:43 PM

AdventureBear - 2007-03-30 12:54 PM

Specifically, wathc the High Elbow Catch portion on the halo trainer video.

Egads! I need to get to the pool RIGHT NOW and try this. I had absolutely no idea what this meant until I watched that 2 minute video.

I tried this out in the pool on Sunday. My arms and upper back ache today from using different muscles, but in the pool it definately felt a lot beter - I was pulling through the water with a lot more force, rather than letting my arm slip through the water.

I went from 20 strokes per pool length to 16 just by making this adjustment! Sweet.

2007-04-03 12:21 AM
in reply to: #746637

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
ertman - 2007-04-02 10:17 PM

ertman - 2007-03-30 1:43 PM

AdventureBear - 2007-03-30 12:54 PM

Specifically, wathc the High Elbow Catch portion on the halo trainer video.

Egads! I need to get to the pool RIGHT NOW and try this. I had absolutely no idea what this meant until I watched that 2 minute video.

I tried this out in the pool on Sunday. My arms and upper back ache today from using different muscles, but in the pool it definately felt a lot beter - I was pulling through the water with a lot more force, rather than letting my arm slip through the water.

I went from 20 strokes per pool length to 16 just by making this adjustment! Sweet.

And you didn't think about any "shapes" while pulling, right? With all due respect to So Fresh who is way faster than I will ever be, I think the "S" is out, an exageration of the S shape will only result in you side slipping your hand through the water resulting in a loss of foward momentum.
2007-04-03 7:01 AM

Expert
Miller Place, Long Island
2007-04-03 7:29 AM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

I felt, for a few moments, the whole "elbow high catch the water" thing during this mornings swim.  It was fleeting, but it was there.  Now I know what I'm searching for.  I'm a long way from coordinating that with everything else going on as I flail through the water AND build up the conditioning to do it for a long period of time, but I felt it.  That was cool.

2007-04-03 11:49 AM
in reply to: #746671

User image

Veteran
Calgary
AdventureBear - 2007-04-02 11:21 PM

ertman - 2007-04-02 10:17 PM

And you didn't think about any "shapes" while pulling, right? With all due respect to So Fresh who is way faster than I will ever be, I think the "S" is out, an exageration of the S shape will only result in you side slipping your hand through the water resulting in a loss of foward momentum.

No, I've never tried to do the S-shaped thing. It never seemed like a good idea to me (then again, swimming 2.4 miles has never seemed like a good idea to me either ;-)

2007-04-07 12:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
Wow. The more I do the high elbow catch as described, the better it gets. I have almost doubled my distances in 2 weeks using the info from this post.
And, once I got accustomed to the high elbows, the S path of the stroke almost comes on its own. Amazing. The only down side is that my body rotation is not as pronounced. But, I go way father with way less fatigue, so I figure after this comes more natural, the rotation will come if it needs to.
Thanks to everyone who posted for sharing such great info.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swimming - path of the stroke question Rss Feed  

of 2