General Discussion Race Reports! » Credit Union Cherry Blossom Ten Mile skip Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Credit Union Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run - Run10 Mile

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Washington, Washington, D.C.
United States
Credit Union Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run
51F / 11C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 32m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I should probably preface this with I have never been so logistically unprepared for a race. I didn't even know where the start was or how I was going to get there until 6am race morning.

Well... the forecast last night was 40 deg with showers, so I decided to bag the race and drink. Then I woke up and it was 50 deg and overcast, so despite the mild hangover I had no good excuse to not participate. I drove over to East Potomac Park and found all entrances from the DC side blocked, and was forced onto 395 S over to the VA side of the Potomac and had to do a wifferdill to get back onto 395 N. I made my way into the Park to find all of the parking lots full, and kept on getting turned in the direction of the 1000's of people walking towards the start. After cruising at 2mph amid the runners rushing to get to the start, I turned into one of the full lots and parked illegally. I put my faith in the thought that it would take them longer to get a tow truck there than it would take me to run the race. I blindly followed the crowd to the start area and ran into a friend on line for the john. He didn't have a clue what the deal was either. Hmm... I'm noticing a trend among the company I keep :-) I found the bag check, stripped down, and turned my stuff in. It was then that I realized that someone screwed up and gave me a race number among the elites and that my wave was due to start in about 5 minutes. Umm...no way. So I herded myself into the mass of humanity that was heading for the last corrals and enjoyed the warmth of the packed lemmings heading towards the cliff.
Event warmup:

None.
Run
  • 1h 32m
  • 10 miles
  • 09m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out in the back and honestly, I have never been in such a "not rush" to finish a race. I couldn't find any of my people, so I just turned on the iPod and followed the bouncing ponytails. I was slightly dehydrated from last nights binge drinking, which I think was actually a good thing as I only needed one pee-break (see previous RR's to get the idea). I had one eGel at mile two, and a second at mile four which seemed to be about perfect. I had been passing the mile markers at almost exactly 10 min miles for the first 6ish, then picked up the pace a bit once I turned off the tunes. Around mile 7 I came up on a couple of friends and chatted for a few minutes and then decided that I wanted to actually run a bit and test my legs (I've got a 1/2 IM coming up in 2 months and my non-training is going remarkably well, so I thought I'd see if I actually have anything left over from last season). I think I ran mile 7 and 8 around 8:30min/mi, (I did slow down a bit to grab 3 dixie cups of beer from the Hashers around mile 8ish- I love those guys) and then miles 9 and 10 at something around 7:30, so all in all I'm relatively pleased.
What would you do differently?:

Not drink the night before, know where the race is, actually prepare. You know...the usual.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched and had a muffin.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heh.

Event comments:

See above. Additionally, I am pleased to say that I did not get towed, or even a parking ticket.

Last updated: 2007-04-01 12:00 AM
Running
01:32:00 | 10 miles | 09m 12s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Z2 for the first 6 or so miles, Z3 for the next two, and Z5 for the last two.
Course: Mostly flat with some rolling hills as the course wound up and down Rock Creek Parkway.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-04-01 5:32 PM

Master
Colorado
Subject: Credit Union Cherry Blossom Ten Mile skip

2007-04-02 6:00 AM
in reply to: #744673

Veteran
Subject: RE: Credit Union Cherry Blossom Ten Mile skip
Hangover race - yeah! Glad you joined the crowd - it was a perfect day for a race at least. Good job - did you ever get a ticket for your parking? Hehehe... hopefully not!
2007-04-02 10:36 AM

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA
Excellent hangover race!
2007-04-02 2:05 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member
Like a cookie cutter, bro.  Nice work.
2007-04-02 8:48 PM

Canton
I love those beer guys...

seemed like instance stomach cramp though...I didn't have the night before base in me
2007-04-06 10:35 AM

User image

Hollidaysburg, PA

Now I know how to eliminate those damn pee stops!

My kids were in DC on Wednesday with the school admiring the cherry blossoms! LOL 

2007-04-06 12:44 PM

User image

Champion
Michigan
bouncing ponytails eh?    you need to learn to run backwards so you can get in front of those bouncy ponytails and look at something else...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Credit Union Cherry Blossom Ten Mile skip Rss Feed