General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Powerman Alabama Duathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-04-06 9:36 AM

User image

Regular
woodbridge,
Subject: Powerman Alabama Duathlon
Does anyone know the elevation for the race next sunday? The website has a map but I was curious about what type of hills both the run and bike course have.

Thanks,

2007-04-06 9:48 AM
in reply to: #751323

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Subject: RE: Powerman Alabama Duathlon

Assuming it is the same course as last year, here is what I recall:

The run basically starts uphill.  Nothing huge, just irritating that you begin up.  You climb for about the first mile, but then you come down it.  And I think the out and back portion is flat. 

The bike does have a nice hill in it.  And you immediately come down it.  However, you have a turnaround at the base of the hill and thus lose your speed and immediately have to climb right be up it.  When you take a right on John Rogers Dr that is an incline but not all that difficult.  Plus there is a water stop when you return. 

I did the shorter version last year as my first multisport event.  I remember being much more intimidated by the hills in pre-race than during the actual race.  If you remotely train on hills you should be fine. 

Another option is the print off the course and plot in in the BT route tracker.  That will give you can actual feel for the course

2007-04-06 9:56 AM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN

I did a brief sketch of the elevation.  The run climbs about 100' until the first mile.  Then it is all down hill, small rollers and flat.

The bike course climbs about 200' for the first 3 miles, then you quickly come down the hill.  But remember you must go back up the quick descent.  To me this was the hardest part.  And there is a cemetary right next to you remind you not to quit.  You get a brief respite as you cruise to John Rogers Drive then climb another 75-100' and come back down it.  Just remember that the bike course is 2 loops for the Powerman so you have to tackle the hills more than once. 

2007-04-09 7:42 AM

User image

Regular
woodbridge,
Thanks for the info, I wanted to get down there prior to look at the course but ran out of time. I'm looking forward to the race.
2007-04-10 7:09 AM

User image

Regular
, Oklahoma
Thanks for the info - it's good to hear about it. And good luck to you all Sunday
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Powerman Alabama Duathlon Rss Feed